• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

approached in spokane mcdonalds playland-right action for the circumstances?

p85-GSXwheelman

First, this has nothing to do with mcdonalds management, it was an encounter with another citizen. I Took my my daugter to lunch the other day at mcdonalds, I was OC'ing, as always...we finished up eating, and of course, my daughter wanted to play on the toys. So I took her out to play and was coaching her along an obstacle... an older gentlenan approached me (from a long sweeping angle so i could see him coming-not to my strong side either by the way) and said "some of the ladies are starting to look a little nervous, could you maybe throw your shirt over that?" I thought for a moment, then nodded and obliged him by covering up. I have that option since I do hold a current washington state CPL. My reason for switching to CC was simply because A.) I had the option legally and B.) The guy didn't say I was doing anything wrong and was VERY nice about it. As if, he knows that its legal, but was being....idk what the word is....maybe courteous of others. I mean, playland was packed and not everyone is educated as to their rights. Did I do the right thing based on circumstances? To avoid a possibe incident that would take away an officer from more important things just because some moms got scared that I had a firearm around a bunch of kids....I admit my decision was made somewhat based on feeling pressure from that thought. I just csnt see changing the activities i do with my daughter just because i excersize my 2nd ammendment right. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. playland almost completely cleared out in about 3-5 minutes.

Schlepnier

You have every right to give up your legal rights for no reason.....which is what you did, i would not have done it but thats your choice.

My reaction to this-> "some of the ladies are starting to look a little nervous, could you maybe throw your shirt over that?"

would be-"it is unfortunate that they feel that way about a lawful activity however, i am not responsible for making them feel comfortable"

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You have every right to give up your legal rights for no reason.....which is what you did, i would not have done it but thats your choice.

My reaction to this-> "some of the ladies are starting to look a little nervous, could you maybe throw your shirt over that?"

would be-"it is unfortunate that they feel that way about a lawful activity however, i am not responsible for making them feel comfortable"

+1, not the choice I would of made, but to each his own.

p85-GSXwheelman

Yeah, in a sense I gave up my rights....but its not like I went and put it in the car. I was still carrying, just concealed. I appreciate the reply. And yeah, I probably shouldnt have concealed when under pressure. But I guess maybe its because I'm kind of a youngster still @ 23. Haha

PALO

Yeah, in a sense I gave up my rights....but its not like I went and put it in the car. I was still carrying, just concealed. I appreciate the reply. And yeah, I probably shouldnt have concealed when under pressure. But I guess maybe its because I'm kind of a youngster still @ 23. Haha

you didn't give up anything. you made a CHOICE that given the circumstances, you are going to respect somebody's wishes and switch carry mode.

this is called - pragmatism.

and the guy who asked you will probably have a positive view of OC'ers based on this incident, and realize that we are reasonable people. the key is this - it was YOUR choice, and you made a decision

you didn't give up ANY right.

it all comes down to the fact, that he didn't demand, he didn't make a scene, and he was respectful enouhg of you to ask YOU instead of whinging to management, and you chose to AS A COURTESY change your mode of carry.

p85-GSXwheelman

Hmmm...PALO- thanks for the insight. Very good point, I don't think its always necessary to "buck" someones request, especially when its nicely asked. If it only affected one person, it could have been a prime opportunity to educate, however...in this case I thought it best not to go around to all 27 families and explain our rights, etc. Haha

JoeSparky

Centurion
First, this has nothing to do with mcdonalds management, it was an encounter with another citizen. I Took my my daugter to lunch the other day at mcdonalds, I was OC'ing, as always...we finished up eating, and of course, my daughter wanted to play on the toys. So I took her out to play and was coaching her along an obstacle... an older gentlenan approached me (from a long sweeping angle so i could see him coming-not to my strong side either by the way) and said "some of the ladies are starting to look a little nervous, could you maybe throw your shirt over that?" I thought for a moment, then nodded and obliged him by covering up. I have that option since I do hold a current washington state CPL. My reason for switching to CC was simply because A.) I had the option legally and B.) The guy didn't say I was doing anything wrong and was VERY nice about it. As if, he knows that its legal, but was being....idk what the word is....maybe courteous of others. I mean, playland was packed and not everyone is educated as to their rights. Did I do the right thing based on circumstances? To avoid a possibe incident that would take away an officer from more important things just because some moms got scared that I had a firearm around a bunch of kids....I admit my decision was made somewhat based on feeling pressure from that thought. I just csnt see changing the activities i do with my daughter just because i excersize my 2nd ammendment right. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. playland almost completely cleared out in about 3-5 minutes.

I am confused here. They know you are armed and supposedly are less concerned about it if it's covered? And then they all cleared out after you covered up anyway? So, you made it more difficult to access your self defense tool by covering and the complainers left anyway. Not sure covering had any benefit---- fairly certain there wasn't!

PALO

"They know you are armed and supposedly are less concerned about it if it's covered? "

you can't spend any time around anti's and not realize that it is SO much about appearance, emotion, etc. it's not about ACTUAL dangers, nor statistically supported facts... it's about PERCEPTION, and simply put, SEEING a gun (on anybody but a cop) simply makes some people very nervous

it is an entirely irrational emotional thing

statistically speaking, people with CCW's (and i am sure the stats on OC'ers are also excellent) are amongst the most law abiding, nonviolent demographic around. if they'd study the stats, they'd realize that given a CCw'er and a randomly chosen individual, the CCw'er is a MUCH better bet for a person you should never fear.

street cops in shall issue states, have started to recognize this. they know that it is NOT the legal CCWers (and again, i think OCers are rapidly catching up with perception) who present a threat to them. a cop pulling over a guy who says "hey, just to let you know , i am carrying a concealed firearm andhere's my permit" should feel at EASE

a person wanting to do them harm would not volunteer that info, and a CCW'er is far less likely to assault them than the average person, and obviously CAN't be a convicted felon, etc

it's a group that self selects for law abidingness, AND the mere carrying tends to put people on their best behavior

that stuff doesn't matter to anti's

they attach this talismanic, mystical quality to guns, as if they just magickally will leap off their owner's hip and start taking people out with a fussilade of bullets

Last edited:

p85-GSXwheelman

Well, JoeSparky- it was an effort to show a little courtesy. Being hard headed will get you killed quicker than lifting your shirt a couple inches to draw. If anything you have an advantage because they don't know what they're walking into. (An armed citizen) although I do OC 95% the time. Just saying.

Last edited:

p85-GSXwheelman

Hey thanks .40S&W- I like having the option of OC or CC....and I know a lot of my friends and family who I've educated and ultimately have gotten their licenses, prefer concealed. For me OC is actually just a lot more comfortable. But either way, id like to think washington is a lot safer when ppl carry.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Well, JoeSparky- it was an effort to show a little courtesy. Being hard headed will get you killed quicker than lifting your shirt a couple inches to draw. If anything you have an advantage because they don't know what they're walking into. (An armed citizen) although I do OC 95% the time. Just saying.

Understood and just putting to post my thoughts. Carry on in any legal manner you choose and so will I, my friend.

p85-GSXwheelman

Joesparky, definately! Just for the record, I appreciate ALL feedback (positive or otherwise) and wasn't trying to be combative. I'm not above learning. Dare I say we are all on the same side? Btw, I like the last line of your message signature or whatever its called.

Schlepnier

Hey thanks .40S&W- I like having the option of OC or CC....and I know a lot of my friends and family who I've educated and ultimately have gotten their licenses, prefer concealed. For me OC is actually just a lot more comfortable. But either way, id like to think washington is a lot safer when ppl carry.

Being a (western)washington resident i CC most of the time because weather dictates i wear a jacket however in the summer when it is warm i OC simple out of comfort because well it is just to darn hot to wear a jacket when it is 65'+ outside. the option is nice to have, especially since it is protected. :banana:

pamountainman

First, this has nothing to do with mcdonalds management, it was an encounter with another citizen. I Took my my daugter to lunch the other day at mcdonalds, I was OC'ing, as always...we finished up eating, and of course, my daughter wanted to play on the toys. So I took her out to play and was coaching her along an obstacle... an older gentlenan approached me (from a long sweeping angle so i could see him coming-not to my strong side either by the way) and said "some of the ladies are starting to look a little nervous, could you maybe throw your shirt over that?" I thought for a moment, then nodded and obliged him by covering up. I have that option since I do hold a current washington state CPL. My reason for switching to CC was simply because A.) I had the option legally and B.) The guy didn't say I was doing anything wrong and was VERY nice about it. As if, he knows that its legal, but was being....idk what the word is....maybe courteous of others......................

p85-GSXwheelman;

I respect your decision to switch to CC and I may have done the same thing, mostly depends on the situation.

After having done that, I may have asked the "older gentleman" a question such as this and this goes with what others have said here:

"Sir, something I don't quite understand - would you mind explaining to me why you feel that "some of the ladies" would look a little less nervous
by me covering my firearm as opposed to leaving it in the open on my hip..???

I would like to maybe understand his mindset to his asking to cover (as they already know you are sitting there with a firearm...). Maybe
just engage in a polite conversation.........Sounds like an excellent opportunity for a little education in both directions.

:cool:

amlevin

Sounds to me like someone merely asked you for a favor and you granted it. Just think, everyone won. No confrontation, no repercussions, just a win-win.

Goes to show how "polite" can be far more rewarding than turning it into a confrontation.

BTW, maybe the "ladies" were just tired of saying to their kids "It's OK that he's carrying a gun, it's legal" and just wanted to get back to their Supersized Meals (with the diet drink of course;);))

papa bear

i am in McD's a couple of times a week with my grandchildren. have only had positive encounters with people about OCing. but even if the gentleman had been polite, i would also politely declined. i would have pointed out that it is a right to carry and for the fact, that i was not harming anyone is a key factor. that it is one of points of OCing is to educate the public to carry.

you did give up a right. it is a right to OC, it is privilege to CC. though i will back you on your decision, it is totally within your rights to do so.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Monkey see, monkey no see? I fail to understand the rational thought that by covering up the already seen gun makes the sheep happy.

It boggles my mind that human beings actually believe and follow this illogical rationalization.

I would not have covered and would have queried the man about the logic I pointed out above.

sawah

My response, maybe:

"Perhaps when they see you and I smiling and me being nice that there is no threat, after all you didn't require any courage to come up and speak to me. Have a good day".

That way you neither acquiesce or deny his request.