• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"quick" questions about borrowing/ transfering a gun

Firedawg314

I know of some of the laws about transfering a weapon. But I'm in a "grey" area...

As some may know of, I have been really big about promoting 2A to family and friends. Well, I must have made a really good impression on my family members. My brother who is now 43 years old have been going to the range with me etc. Because of what he has going on at his second job (tax office), he wants to own a handgun now. Make sense, because the normal time he leaves the office is about midnight and he has to make make deposits at the bank.

I have several guns, I have suggested that he borrow one of mine until he get one for himself.

I am wondering, just for borrowing my gun, are there any "crazy" forms need to be filled out before hand?

Also, keep in mind.. my brother NEVER been in trouble with the law, no bad habits (besides working too much), no drugs, etc. Just right now, he's really busy with the career and tax office and that his wife doesn't really approve getting a gun, so she's not going to make it easy for him to get one.

Superlite27

Why don't you just "sell" him one for a token price of $10 or so, and have him write you a check? He can put "Springfield Armory 1911". or "Glock 17" in the memo line. This way, God forbid, if anything unforseen were to unexplicably happen and the cops show up at your door wondering why your gun was traced to 15 corpses found in a Camden, New Jersey parking lot, you can honestly tell them, "Sorry. Not mine. Here's the check I got when I sold it.".

cshoff

No paperwork is required in Missouri for you to loan/lease/sell/giveaway your handgun to another private individual as long as they are lawfully entitled to possess said firearm.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
No paperwork is required in Missouri for you to loan/lease/sell/giveaway your handgun to another private individual as long as they are lawfully entitled to possess said firearm.

Agree 100%, however, I myself require a bill of sale with the serial signed by both parties to identify I am no longer the owner and if I do not know the person well, I prefer a CCW from any state to proceed. I feel when doing this, I have done all things possible to prove I did not sell it to a felon to the best of my abilities. I am aware I am not required to do so, however, in the case it were to happen, I want my part to be over with as fast and easy as possible.

Opinions vary and I have bought and sold a lot of firearms, never had a berson balk at the bill of sale or providing the CCW upon request.

cshoff

Agree 100%, however, I myself require a bill of sale with the serial signed by both parties to identify I am no longer the owner and if I do not know the person well, I prefer a CCW from any state to proceed. I feel when doing this, I have done all things possible to prove I did not sell it to a felon to the best of my abilities. I am aware I am not required to do so, however, in the case it were to happen, I want my part to be over with as fast and easy as possible.

Opinions vary and I have bought and sold a lot of firearms, never had a berson balk at the bill of sale or providing the CCW upon request.

Yep. I use a "bill of sale" as well when I sell a gun, but there is no statutory requirement that you do so.

If I was going to loan my brother one of my handguns, I would simply loan it to him and not worry about it. He knows where to get in touch with me in the event that some over zealous LEO was to give him a hard time about it.

G30Mike

I also write up a bill of sale and make sure in face to face transactions that the person I'm selling to is a MO resident. If you sell to someone in another state it requires an FFL transfer.

Firedawg314

why don't you just "sell" him one for a token price of $10 or so, and have him write you a check? He can put "springfield armory 1911". Or "glock 17" in the memo line. This way, god forbid, if anything unforseen were to unexplicably happen and the cops show up at your door wondering why your gun was traced to 15 corpses found in a camden, new jersey parking lot, you can honestly tell them, "sorry. Not mine. Here's the check i got when i sold it.".

lol!!!!!

OC for ME

If, in Mo, a 'bill of sale' is not required, why worry about anything. Other than a out-of-stater. Loan him the gun and don't look back until the gun is due back. Why would he need to explain anything to a cop? They can't say, one way or the other that he is not the owner/lawful possessor of the gun. Unless, of course, he tells them for some strange reason.

And, how would a NJ cop know that your gun, from MO, whacked 15 people in NJ?

Sheesh....