• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best PRO GUN State?

DanieltheAnvil

I live in Florida. We do not have OC but I think, as a whole, our gun rights are pretty good. I say this for reasons like the Castle doctrine, We can stand our ground and dont have to flee, we can also come to the aid of others in a forcible felony. I see other states who have OC yet seem to have a Tougher stance with other restrictions. Am I wrong on this? What is the best Pro Gun State?

DanieltheAnvil

and yes I am aware of the few exceptions florida has with OC. We can go to and from Hiking Fishing camping and shooting ranges while OCing.

PavePusher

I live in Florida. We do not have OC but I think, as a whole, our gun rights are pretty good. I say this for reasons like the Castle doctrine, We can stand our ground and dont have to flee, we can also come to the aid of others in a forcible felony. I see other states who have OC yet seem to have a Tougher stance with other restrictions. Am I wrong on this? What is the best Pro Gun State?

Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming all have various forms of Constitutional carry, with optional permits to get around a few arbitrary state and federal restrictions. Vermont is good, but does not have the optional permits, thus you can not bypass some area restrictions. Most states west of Texas/Nebraska are good (California and Hawaii being the obvious exception).

Last edited:

OC for ME

Missouri: OC is a right (can be banned at the municipal level....working on that), CCW with a permit. Strong castle/stand your ground. Our constitution and statutes make it a crime not to come to the aid of the 'civil power' when called upon to do so. Pretty good, could be better.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Might I suggest that there ought to be additional factors besides constitutional carry, castle doctrine, stand your ground, and coming to the aid of others in a forcible felony. Most of those are, in fact, available to most OCers either through statute or common law.

I suggest you also look at how LEA/LEO react to OC, and how the courts deal with OCers. While there will always be cases of LEA/LEO opposition, both the civil and criminal courts can strongly influence how that opposition is expressed. By my count there are 26 states that do not require a permission slip to OC, which means that LEA/LEO must go out of their way to create a hostile atmosphere.

stay safe.

hogeaterf6

Ind has great gun laws. Very limited on where you can carry. You do need a permit/lisc tho, which is easy to get.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
skidmark said Might I suggest that there ought to be additional factors besides constitutional carry, castle doctrine, stand your ground, and coming to the aid of others in a forcible felony. Most of those are, in fact, available to most OCers either through statute or common law.

YES YES.... a great deal of us only look at the minimums. I would also look at how the locals look at OC. Washington State is a positive area. We do have some LEO problems, but we are working on that. We need a CPL to conceal and to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle. State constitution preempts ALL other weapon laws. Little towns cannot make a law stronger than the state so the law is homogeneous.

09jisaac

Kentucky is easily in the top.

Concealed deadly weapon permits are SUPER easy to get and they allow you to conceal any deadly weapon with no restrictions on the state level.
Open carry is a right protected by the constitution and various KRSs.
Preemptive law at the state level.
Minimum age is 18 to own both handguns and long guns
No registration/permit to own any gun (apart of NFA guns)
Castle Doctrine + Stand your ground
No civil liability if you're proven justified in using deadly force.
A statute that prohibits anyone from illegally taking your guns with no mention that LEOs can for "officer safety".
Justified in using a firearm to stop a felony against you or another.
Cops for the most part leave you alone
Very few "No guns" signs and the don't even have the weight of law.
Very few restriction on OC and just a little bit more on CC.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Virginia is in the top ten I think. You can OC basically anywhere. If you want a permit, it's a shall issue state. Permits remove a couple of restrictions. There's statewide pre-emption. And any negative encounters with the police (very few) typically end up with the citizen getting an undisclosed sum of money. The #1 thing is that Virginia has been getting constantly better over the last several years.

Butch00

If you have to get a permit to carry you are exercising
privileges from the Corporate Government not a right.
A right cannot be licensed.

WCrawford

Tennessee isn't horrid, but not the greatest, either.

While getting a permit (needed for CC or OC) is fairly easy, it is one of the more expensive ones in the country ($115 for 4 years + training). Most police in TN won't hassle someone for OC, but it is still statutorily illegal to have a firearm in your possession [39-17-1307], but there are numerous defenses [39-17-1308] including being in your home [39-17-1308(a)(3)(A)].

We still have a lot of work here, but at least we aren't CA, NY, IL, or HI.

09jisaac

Tennessee isn't horrid, but not the greatest, either.

While getting a permit (needed for CC or OC) is fairly easy, it is one of the more expensive ones in the country ($115 for 4 years + training). Most police in TN won't hassle someone for OC, but it is still statutorily illegal to have a firearm in your possession [39-17-1307], but there are numerous defenses [39-17-1308] including being in your home [39-17-1308(a)(3)(A)].

We still have a lot of work here, but at least we aren't CA, NY, IL, or HI.

Let me get this straight. Do I have to have a carry permit to go to a farm and do farm work while armed?