Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Stores going Gunless

Thumbs down Sprint Stores going Gunless

Hey all, just wanted to touch on something I learned today. I went into a Corporate Sprint Store today to have my phone looked at and noticed a no guns sign on the door. This is not my normal sprint store and I assumed it was just this stores policy so I asked to speak to a manager. The manager (friendly and receptive) informed me that it is a NEW corporate policy going into effect this week.

I called my local sprint store (I was just in there on Saturday open carrying) and asked if this were true. The manager informed me that yes it was true. However he told me to feel free to conceal carry if I wish and that this was meant for open carriers.

I will be writing a letter to corporate (as futile as it is) shortly.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post

I called my local sprint store (I was just in there on Saturday open carrying) and asked if this were true. The manager informed me that yes it was true. However he told me to feel free to conceal carry if I wish and that this was meant for open carriers.
    Translation; "We won't respect your freedom to exercise your 2A right as you wish, but we'll still gladly take your money."

Looks like we won't be going to Sprint or returning to Verizon after our contract is up.

Hey all, just wanted to touch on something I learned today. I went into a Corporate Sprint Store today to have my phone looked at and noticed a no guns sign on the door. This is not my normal sprint store and I assumed it was just this stores policy so I asked to speak to a manager. The manager (friendly and receptive) informed me that it is a NEW corporate policy going into effect this week.

Thanks for your time.
    Sprint has always been anti 2nd Amendment. Back in 2000 when Missouri had Proposition B (A failed attempt to pass a concealed carry law), Sprint donated a lot of money to help defeat the measure.

I recommend AT&T, I heard Verizon had a no gun policy but I can not confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Sprint has always been anti 2nd Amendment. Back in 2000 when Missouri had Proposition B (A failed attempt to pass a concealed carry law), Sprint donated a lot of money to help defeat the measure.

I recommend AT&T, I heard Verizon had a no gun policy but I can not confirm that.
    I was unaware of that, thank you. Too bad Sprint is the only carrier to offer unlimited data.

Folks, you can choose whichever wireless phone carrier you wish - but.......

Entry onto PRIVATE property trumps your right to BEAR ARMS.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 02-13-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post

I understand (and will respect) this. There is a third party sprint store directly across the street that I will be frequenting from now on, they also offer repairs.

I just wanted to post that the actual manager of the store told me CC was fine and to ignore the sign, just don't OC.

Thanks for your time.
    WHAT SIGN! I didn't see no stinkin sign!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

That's why we vote with our wallets in Michigan. No guns, no money.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    That's why we vote with our wallets in Michigan. No guns, no money.
    so very true.. ive been with sprint for 10+ years

Banned
    Send in your phone along with your complaint letters.

Too bad private property rights do not trump the smoking ban so that an establishments owner can permit smoking on his/her property.
    Last edited by Jared; 02-13-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    Back in 2000 when Missouri had Proposition B (a failed attempt to pass a concealed carry law), Sprint donated a lot of money to help defeat the measure.
    I wonder how they rationalized that one to the shareholders?
    It has absolutely nothing to do with their business.

Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2
    That's one of those topics of discussion that will probably never be settled.
    I think a person's individual right to protect her life & bodily integrity trumps a property right, esp. when that 'right' is exercised by a fictional 'person' (a company) which has invited the public onto the property (a store).
    Besides, it's a protected civil right just as religion is, & stores aren't allowed to discriminate based on that. So why is it OK for any other right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post

I think a person's individual right to protect her life & bodily integrity trumps a property right, esp. when that 'right' is exercised by a fictional 'person' (a company) which has invited the public onto the property (a store).
    Besides, it's a protected civil right just as religion is, & stores aren't allowed to discriminate based on that. So why is it OK for any other right?
    Because we explicitly approve of their discrimination by patronizing their establishment. We don't walk the walk, we just talk the talk. Sad state of humanity.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

I switched to verizon recently and I have been in the store Ocing a few times and a couple times it was busy. didnt hear a thing from anyone about it, the guy that was helping me asked me a few questions about OC and told me he was going to get his CPL as soon as he could.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Too bad private property rights do not trump the smoking ban so that an establishments owner can permit smoking on his/her property.
    Private business does not have the ability in MI to determine who may or may not carry concealed in their establishment. If they did a bar owner, day care owner, large entertainment facility owner, etc. could allow licensed CCers to carry....but they can't. They can't because the state removed the right of a business to determine who may lawfully carry on their property when MCL 28.425o was passed.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Because we explicitly approve of their discrimination by patronizing their establishment. We don't walk the walk, we just talk the talk.
    I fully agree.

How many people support the Levi Straus Company, even though they discriminate against the Boy Scouts of America?
    How many people give to the United Way, even though they are huge anti-2A.
    How many people purchase Ruger Firearms, even though Ruger attorneys wrote part of the Assault Weapons Ban in Clinton's Crime Bill, and Ruger is on record stating that "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun," and "I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

Gun owners do not walk the walk. It is disheartening.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Translation; "We won't respect your freedom to exercise your 2A right as you wish, but we'll still gladly take your money."

Looks like we won't be going to Sprint or returning to Verizon after our contract is up.
    Are they breaching their contract perhaps? Your contract might include your right to have services performed at a Sprint store, and now they have changed the policies that govern your entry into those facilities.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    ...Gun owners do not walk the walk. It is disheartening.
    Gun owners, especially gun carriers, are typically the more polite and amiable citizens. This is a serious disadvantage when it comes to activism for our rights, unfortunately.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Private business does not have the ability in MI to determine who may or may not carry concealed in their establishment. If they did a bar owner, day care owner, large entertainment facility owner, etc. could allow licensed CCers to carry....but they can't. They can't because the state removed the right of a business to determine who may lawfully carry on their property when MCL 28.425o was passed.

Bronson
    If they can't allow it, then they shouldnt be able to ban it.

The argument that the .gov should allow private property rights to trump actual specific constitutional rights, fails on this one point alone.

Private property rights is where I part ways with most here. That's all I'll say...

Don't like their policy? Do business elsewhere.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    How many people give to the United Way, even though they are huge anti-2A.
    Here's something fun to do. Our company has a HUGE United Way drive every year. We found out that you can specify any 501c3 for your money to go to. In the past a bunch of us have picked http://www.huntofalifetime.org/ which sends people under 21 that are diagnosed with life threatening illnesses on hunting trips.

Last year I used the United Way donation process to donate to the school where I teach Aikido as we are also a non-profit.

In Battle Creek private businesses have come together to cover the admin. costs of the United Way so 100% of our individual donations goes to our chosen non-profit.

Find a pro-gun or other 501c3 and use the UW process to help fund the thing they hate

Bronson
    Last edited by Bronson; 02-14-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

The only way that works is if you specify an organization that is currently NOT listed on their list of funded entities. If you simply move money around (say donate it all to the BSA) they will simply give less general donations to them and move it to something else. Money is fungible. The only way to really force them to donate the way you want is if you a) designate a NEW organization, or b) everyone everywhere designates their money allocation. Otherwise UW will simply give the predetermined amounts to the organizations as they wish.

I advocate not giving ANY money to UW and simply donating the money directly to the orgs of your choice. This accomplishes several things, including defunding the United Way and making sure your choice gets more money by eliminating the middle man overhead fees UW will take out. UW currently takes out 16% of every dollar donated for "overhead." Give directly, not through the United Way!

Also note that the United Way may not pass along the money you donate to the organization you designate if, in their opinion, it doesn't meet their baseline requirement for a targeted donation!
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

Bronson
    Please do not cite incorrect information as it may lead someone to getting in trouble. 28.425o has NOTHING to do with trespass laws. In Michigan, a business can ask you to leave for carrying a gun, they can even refuse service to you because you are a gun owner. It would be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post

Fundamental Rights apply to government action, not private party action. The reason a business can not refuse service to someone because of race, national origin etc. is because of the Civil Rights Act.

It has nothing to do with the Constitution or anything else. If the civil rights act was repealed, anyone could be refused service for anything.

The Constitution only protects fundamental rights from government action, not private action. The only reason murder is illegal is because of criminal code, not because it would otherwise be unconstitutional for private person A to murder private person B.

Please do not cite incorrect information as it may lead someone to getting in trouble. 28.425o has NOTHING to do with trespass laws. In Michigan, a business can ask you to leave for carrying a gun, they can even refuse service to you because you are a gun owner. It would be legal.
    What are you talking about? What Bronson said was correct but different than what you just said which is also correct.

Go back and read what Bronson said a few more times!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast