• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sprint Stores going Gunless

Bronson

How many people give to the United Way, even though they are huge anti-2A.

Here's something fun to do. Our company has a HUGE United Way drive every year. We found out that you can specify any 501c3 for your money to go to. In the past a bunch of us have picked http://www.huntofalifetime.org/ which sends people under 21 that are diagnosed with life threatening illnesses on hunting trips.

Last year I used the United Way donation process to donate to the school where I teach Aikido as we are also a non-profit.

In Battle Creek private businesses have come together to cover the admin. costs of the United Way so 100% of our individual donations goes to our chosen non-profit.

Find a pro-gun or other 501c3 and use the UW process to help fund the thing they hate :lol:

Bronson

Last edited:

griffin

The only way that works is if you specify an organization that is currently NOT listed on their list of funded entities. If you simply move money around (say donate it all to the BSA) they will simply give less general donations to them and move it to something else. Money is fungible. The only way to really force them to donate the way you want is if you a) designate a NEW organization, or b) everyone everywhere designates their money allocation. Otherwise UW will simply give the predetermined amounts to the organizations as they wish.

I advocate not giving ANY money to UW and simply donating the money directly to the orgs of your choice. This accomplishes several things, including defunding the United Way and making sure your choice gets more money by eliminating the middle man overhead fees UW will take out. UW currently takes out 16% of every dollar donated for "overhead." Give directly, not through the United Way!

Also note that the United Way may not pass along the money you donate to the organization you designate if, in their opinion, it doesn't meet their baseline requirement for a targeted donation!

Jared

Private business does not have the ability in MI to determine who may or may not carry concealed in their establishment. If they did a bar owner, day care owner, large entertainment facility owner, etc. could allow licensed CCers to carry....but they can't. They can't because the state removed the right of a business to determine who may lawfully carry on their property when MCL 28.425o was passed.

Bronson

Please do not cite incorrect information as it may lead someone to getting in trouble. 28.425o has NOTHING to do with trespass laws. In Michigan, a business can ask you to leave for carrying a gun, they can even refuse service to you because you are a gun owner. It would be legal.

Jared

I wonder how they rationalized that one to the shareholders?
It has absolutely nothing to do with their business.

That's one of those topics of discussion that will probably never be settled.
I think a person's individual right to protect her life & bodily integrity trumps a property right, esp. when that 'right' is exercised by a fictional 'person' (a company) which has invited the public onto the property (a store).
Besides, it's a protected civil right just as religion is, & stores aren't allowed to discriminate based on that. So why is it OK for any other right?

Fundamental Rights apply to government action, not private party action. The reason a business can not refuse service to someone because of race, national origin etc. is because of the Civil Rights Act.

It has nothing to do with the Constitution or anything else. If the civil rights act was repealed, anyone could be refused service for anything.

The Constitution only protects fundamental rights from government action, not private action. The only reason murder is illegal is because of criminal code, not because it would otherwise be unconstitutional for private person A to murder private person B.

autosurgeon

Please do not cite incorrect information as it may lead someone to getting in trouble. 28.425o has NOTHING to do with trespass laws. In Michigan, a business can ask you to leave for carrying a gun, they can even refuse service to you because you are a gun owner. It would be legal.

What are you talking about? What Bronson said was correct but different than what you just said which is also correct.

Go back and read what Bronson said a few more times!

Jared

What are you talking about? What Bronson said was correct but different than what you just said which is also correct.

Go back and read what Bronson said a few more times!

You are correct. Sorry Bronson. I was wrong, my lazy butt interpreted that post as saying that since 425o says where to carry that the subject matter was preempted from trespass laws. I should have been more careful before I posted so fast.

alphamale

Let me know how the letter goes, I will write my own and if they don't clean up their act I will cancel my sprint service.

Hey all, just wanted to touch on something I learned today. I went into a Corporate Sprint Store today to have my phone looked at and noticed a no guns sign on the door. This is not my normal sprint store and I assumed it was just this stores policy so I asked to speak to a manager. The manager (friendly and receptive) informed me that it is a NEW corporate policy going into effect this week.

I called my local sprint store (I was just in there on Saturday open carrying) and asked if this were true. The manager informed me that yes it was true. However he told me to feel free to conceal carry if I wish and that this was meant for open carriers.

I will be writing a letter to corporate (as futile as it is) shortly.

Thanks for your time.

alphamale

I think a few others have correctly pointed this out, a corporation is not a person or people, it has NO constitutional rights of people. When a Corporation starts a open to the public store front it has NO right to limit your or my rights to self defense. Property rights are only for the People, not fantasy, nor fictional straw men.

Case law has nothing to do with this, because the courts have been dead wrong many times, you would be better served doing a study on the founding Fathers and their mindset and quotes, and if you did this you would see they in fact were against Corporations.

Please don't ask me to cite over 20,000 pages of material, do your own homework and people need to quit being lazy when it comes to constitutional issues and study this. It is really sad that so called rights advocates are so quit to abolish Constitutional rights based on what they think they heard, or some court garbage that is dead wrong headed. Lest we forget the court system is for the addressing of wrongs not to help us keep our rights. That's our job. and did we all forget who appoints judges? yes they very Politicians who hate your rights!

Folks, you can choose whichever wireless phone carrier you wish - but.......

Entry onto PRIVATE property trumps your right to BEAR ARMS.

alphamale

You have a good point, too many here talk the talk but then cower in the corner when action is required. I will also tell a few friends who have Sprint and I know will have a stinking fit over this policy and will like me change my service to another.

Because we explicitly approve of their discrimination by patronizing their establishment. We don't walk the walk, we just talk the talk. Sad state of humanity.

alphamale

Can you please give us the telephone number of the store and it's address in full. Plus a picture of that sign would be a bonus. if it was not for a 800 mile round trip I would go there myself, and talk to them, but a letter to corporate with a photograph would be a great ice breaker in talking to the CEO.

Hey all, just wanted to touch on something I learned today. I went into a Corporate Sprint Store today to have my phone looked at and noticed a no guns sign on the door. This is not my normal sprint store and I assumed it was just this stores policy so I asked to speak to a manager. The manager (friendly and receptive) informed me that it is a NEW corporate policy going into effect this week.

I called my local sprint store (I was just in there on Saturday open carrying) and asked if this were true. The manager informed me that yes it was true. However he told me to feel free to conceal carry if I wish and that this was meant for open carriers.

I will be writing a letter to corporate (as futile as it is) shortly.

Thanks for your time.

Sail Man

Sprint has always been anti 2nd Amendment. Back in 2000 when Missouri had Proposition B (A failed attempt to pass a concealed carry law), Sprint donated a lot of money to help defeat the measure.

I recommend AT&T, I heard Verizon had a no gun policy but I can not confirm that.

I have OC'd at their corporate store near 12 Oaks Mall in Novi without problems.

mssurrey

I was unaware of that, thank you. Too bad Sprint is the only carrier to offer unlimited data.

Actually it's not the only one.

I'm with T-Mobile and they have unlimited data (and minutes) plans for $49.99 pm. I don't know if they're anti-2A though.

Small_Arms_Collector

I fully agree.

How many people support the Levi Straus Company, even though they discriminate against the Boy Scouts of America?
How many people give to the United Way, even though they are huge anti-2A.
How many people purchase Ruger Firearms, even though Ruger attorneys wrote part of the Assault Weapons Ban in Clinton's Crime Bill, and Ruger is on record stating that "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun," and "I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

Gun owners do not walk the walk. It is disheartening.

Bill Ruger is dead, and the Modern Ruger makes Bill spin in is grave. It is pointless to penalize a business because of what their past owners have done, only what the current ones are doing.