• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo

jad316

Just bought a Glock 30SF and so far love it. I’m just wondering your opinions on carry rounds. I’ve always carried federal hydro shocks in all my hand guns because of the stopping power. Just curious if anyone has any other rounds they carry and why?

G30Mike

Winchester Ranger T 230gr +p for me in my G30.
I've always used he Rangers in anything I carried whether it be .40, .45, or 9 minimeter.
Congrats on the G30. Great pistol. I never leave the house without mine.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Just bought a Glock 30SF and so far love it. I’m just wondering your opinions on carry rounds. I’ve always carried federal hydro shocks in all my hand guns because of the stopping power. Just curious if anyone has any other rounds they carry and why?

Don't own a Glock myself but beyond them recommending not to use reloads due to excessive leading due to rifling design, I haven't heard a bad thing about them eating any kind of ammo. Odds are you can shoot whatever you want and will find it to be quite reliable with all of it. By all means, do so and make sure before you depend upon it.

I like Speer Gold dot myself, but frankly I don't want to get shot with round ball either so I am fairly sure you are good to go with ANY AMMO at all you choose.

Hope you enjoy the new toy! Shoot the snot out of it!

Marc

I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my 9mm, Hornady TAPS in my .40, Hornady Critical Defense in my .380 my own preferences. But I will say both from personal experience and input from lots of other Glock owners, DO NOT cheap out and feed Wolf ammo thru a Glock, it will cause jams both FTF and FTE, and it usually does it on most polymer frame guns, Just a cautionary warning.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
In 45acp I carry Winchester Ranger RA45T (230 grain T-series non +P ). The reason is very simple. .. It is the only SD ammo that is reasonably priced (box of 50 under $40) and a top 3 choice in both my XD45 compact 4" barrel and Kimber Ultra Carry 3" barrel across numerous professional and amateur tests I have read, also has excellent performance in a 5" barrel and in all shooting about same POA as 230 gr FMJ practice ammo and feeding reliably in most any 45. It also ties Federal HST for expansion, those two as of a few years ago having the largest consistent expansion of affordable/available JHP. There may be something new that does better now that I am not familiar with - last year or so has necessarily been more focused on other things. I would have been happy with the HST as well (comparable performance in my family's sidearms to the RA45T), however, it was more expensive and much less available last year when I bought a case of RA45T.

Hydro-shoks are a little old school. While it is still good ammo and better than a lot of competitors, IMO, Ranger T-series and HST are the better, more up to date options, especially in a short barrelled 45. HS is not very accurate in the Kimber (accurized/trigger job/etc and much more accurate than I wiill ever be even supported shooting) and not as accurate as the RA45T and HST in the XD or Kimber in my hands and in some testing. However, at self-defense ranges, and the most likely scenario of quick point-shooting for SD, I don't think it would matter. In my guns, we are really discussing a matter of 10% fps and an inch or so of accuracy at most regardless which is unlikely to matter for SD.

If you like HS and shoot it well, there is no reason I know of not to carry it. Like most firearm stuff, there is a lot of personal perference involved.

Oramac

I use 115g Gold Dot hollow points in 9mm.

G30Mike

Love this pic of the Rangers.....
4257002a-5061-2d0e.jpg

moneymaker

Buy ammo and run atleast 200 rounds of what you want to use as carry ammo to be certain the gun will function 100 PERCENT with the ammo you have choosen and become Proficient with that ammo!!!!!!!!!!! Dont let others tell you what to use as even though you have a certain model Glock doesnt mean that it will run like the same model your buddy has or what a guy post on the internet!