• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going For My CHP!

Keens

Hello,

I am finally going for my concealed carry permit! :banana: I will be taking my concealed class this Saturday morning, then I'm off to the Elbert County Sheriffs office to do the application, get fingerprinted, and pay my fees (more like a tax). I'm not too excited that it could take a full 90 days. I will be marking off the days on a calendar as they go by.

OC is still going to be my preferred method of carry and I am getting the permit mainly to not worry about the 1000 foot GFZ and to CC in places where OC is prohibited (like the PDR of Denver).

Can anybody relate their experiences with Elbert County in getting their CHP?

Gunslinger

Just went in for my renewal. Took 3 minutes at the El Paso Sheriff's office and they got me in 15 minutes early. She said renewals are running about 30 days, new about 60. The problem for new is they are booking for April now for the appointments. It took a week for the renewal appointment.

Keens

Hello Folks,

My fiancee and I got our certificates! The class was very informative and we really enjoyed it. While this particular class didn't include the live fire, it was a good deal for $60. We are taking the concealed carry range class very soon where we will be firing 200 rounds each plus we will take the Advanced Carry class. We went through 3GunDynamics.com.

It was a fun and exciting day! While I planned to go to the Sheriff's office after class, I misread their Saturday hours for CHP applications, so I will have to wait until next weekend to apply.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Cool, Keens.

I don't see it out there on their calendar. If you have a date for when they're doing their DOTM and happen to remember me, post a note here for others and drop me a PM. Thanks!

Keens

Cool, Keens.

I don't see it out there on their calendar. If you have a date for when they're doing their DOTM and happen to remember me, post a note here for others and drop me a PM. Thanks!

Thanks for catching that. I will send Jeff an email to find out the schedule for DOTM.

Keens

Thanks for catching that. I will send Jeff an email to find out the schedule for DOTM.

I got a response from 3Gun, they are going to update their website calendar for the DOTM and usually have it the 3rd Sunday each month, weather permitting. They are looking to start in April.

Last edited:

lucky256

Thanks! I'm very excited and can't wait to get off work and head down there!

Wow, I'm jealous.

I had finished submitting my application just 30 minutes before you created this thread, at the ACSO. I took the same class from the same company as you. AND I'm still waiting...

Keens

Wow, I'm jealous.

I had finished submitting my application just 30 minutes before you created this thread, at the ACSO. I took the same class from the same company as you. AND I'm still waiting...

Wow, thats pretty neat! I hope you get yours soon! What day did you take your class? I've seen some threads (can't recall which ones) on the time it took for folks to get their permits from ACSO. I'll have to search and I will PM you if I find them.

lucky256

Wow, thats pretty neat! I hope you get yours soon! What day did you take your class? I've seen some threads (can't recall which ones) on the time it took for folks to get their permits from ACSO. I'll have to search and I will PM you if I find them.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to convey that I took the same course (but at a different time) as opposed to the advanced course or any of the other classes they offer.

I just had to reply since there were so many similarities. I too am concerned about the GFSZ as well since I live around 1800 feet from a school and had previously lived 900 from another school. The CHP just allow more flexibility in situations, you know?

Keens

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to convey that I took the same course (but at a different time) as opposed to the advanced course or any of the other classes they offer.

I just had to reply since there were so many similarities. I too am concerned about the GFSZ as well since I live around 1800 feet from a school and had previously lived 900 from another school. The CHP just allow more flexibility in situations, you know?

I sent you a PM. About the GFSZ's, and that dang 1000 foot rule (which starts at the property boundary, not the building itself) I just want the peace of mind not having to worry about a school I don't know about as I go about on my daily business. I also feel that these GFSZ's overlap a lot of areas. I wonder if the permit allows OC within these boundaries? Of course not on the school property itself! But say I OC at a store 500' away from the school property?

M-Taliesin

I sent you a PM. About the GFSZ's, and that dang 1000 foot rule (which starts at the property boundary, not the building itself) I just want the peace of mind not having to worry about a school I don't know about as I go about on my daily business. I also feel that these GFSZ's overlap a lot of areas. I wonder if the permit allows OC within these boundaries? Of course not on the school property itself! But say I OC at a store 500' away from the school property?

Howdy Amigo!
I do it all the time! I just don't pay much attention to school zones anyhow. So far as I am concerned, if it ain't school property, it ain't none of their affair.

I wonder about jurisdiction to start with. The GFSZ law is a federal thing, and I am unclear and possibly unconvinced that a local LEO can really make a federal case out of it. I don't think many a local LEO would dare to go down that particular rabbit hole anyhow. I could be wrong, but like I said before, I've never paid it any mind.

Besides, if you are visiting a local store, it is private property. The school zone thing cannot usurp private property rights. Same as OC on your own property right across the street from a school.

Using the same logic as the State of Colorado employs for preemption, it creates a patchwork of jurisdictions that one may violate with complete innocense, never knowing they're in violation. I may be taking my chances, but so far as I am concerned, my rights as a citizen of Colorado ought to preempt local ordinances based on the language of preemption itself, and serve as reasoanble defense against violation of GFSZ.

As I said before, I don't particularly care.

Now I will note here, I was a member of a local metal detecting club here in the Denver metro area. One day I ran into another couple of guys from the metal detecting club. They were already working school grounds that I intended to hit. During our chat, I bemoaned the GFSZ thing. To my surprise, my friend produced a small pocket pistol. His attitude was that he carries a CCW, and he was carrying concealed, and that this ultimately settled the question in his mind, so he was carrying on school property. Wow, I thought... talk about taking a chance! But he may be right for all I know.

I don't carry on school property, but do have other weapons on my person. I just lock the handgun away in the glove box or back end of my car.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Well, I suppose I ain't going to worry about it. I did talk to a deputy about it, and he said if I'm on a private business property while out and about and there's a school nearby I'm ok. He looked a little skittish about OC'ers but he knows it's legal and he said he doesn't even contact them unless they are up to something (RAS). I know not to ask a LEO advise about the law, I just wanted his perspective on this.