• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going For My CHP!

since9

Campaign Veteran
I sent you a PM. About the GFSZ's, and that dang 1000 foot rule (which starts at the property boundary, not the building itself) I just want the peace of mind not having to worry about a school I don't know about as I go about on my daily business. I also feel that these GFSZ's overlap a lot of areas. I wonder if the permit allows OC within these boundaries? Of course not on the school property itself! But say I OC at a store 500' away from the school property?

Howdy Amigo!
I do it all the time! I just don't pay much attention to school zones anyhow. So far as I am concerned, if it ain't school property, it ain't none of their affair.

I wonder about jurisdiction to start with. The GFSZ law is a federal thing, and I am unclear and possibly unconvinced that a local LEO can really make a federal case out of it. I don't think many a local LEO would dare to go down that particular rabbit hole anyhow. I could be wrong, but like I said before, I've never paid it any mind.

I don't think they would either, but technical, it's a violation of federal law. More importantly (dispicably), the way that federal law reads, if you ever use discharge your firearm within a GFSZ, it matters not whether you were justified by state law. It's remains a felonious violation of the federal law and would constitute grounds for denial of firearms purchases, obtaining a CHP renewal, etc.

Personally, I feel it's a gross violation of federal powers, which is why I'm doing my level best to get the entire GFSZA repealed.

As for overlapping zones, Keens, I calculated the number of schools here in Colorado Springs the size of the city, and the average size of the school lots, and determined all GFSZ's together occupy approximately 11% of the land area of the city as a whole. Thus, if you OC everywhere you go, you'd be in a GFSZ about 10% of the time!

What I do to avoid trouble is check out Google Maps before I head out to a location with which I'm not familiar. I plan my parking location and walking routes so as to avoid all schools by 1,500' or more.

Using the same logic as the State of Colorado employs for preemption, it creates a patchwork of jurisdictions that one may violate with complete innocense, never knowing they're in violation.

Yep! That's why I'm trying to get that anathema of a law repealed!

I may be taking my chances, but so far as I am concerned, my rights as a citizen of Colorado ought to preempt local ordinances based on the language of preemption itself, and serve as reasoanble defense against violation of GFSZ.

As I said before, I don't particularly care.

So long as you're aware of the risks, the choice is yours.

Not I! I'm remaining squarely on the side of the law.

Last edited:

Keens

As for overlapping zones, Keens, I calculated the number of schools here in Colorado Springs the size of the city, and the average size of the school lots, and determined all GFSZ's together occupy approximately 11% of the land area of the city as a whole. Thus, if you OC everywhere you go, you'd be in a GFSZ about 10% of the time!

What I do to avoid trouble is check out Google Maps before I head out to a location with which I'm not familiar. I plan my parking location and walking routes so as to avoid all schools by 1,500' or more.

Yep! That's why I'm trying to get that anathema of a law repealed!

I'm with you on getting the GFSZ law repealed! I do/still check maps for these zones before heading into an unfamiliar area I plan to OC in, but I feel its just impossible to know where every school is. There could be some little school around the corner that nobody knows about and its just a hassle to check the maps on my iPhone everytime I want to OC in a new area. Criminals don't care about GFSZ's, they know its an easy target since folks are not armed. Now I wonder about the recent CA school shootings. If there wasn't GFSZ's, and a OC'er or CC'er were there, it may have been very possible lives could have been saved.

I'm going to get me a printer, and make me some maps to keep in the car so I know where that dang 1000' boundary is. I also have been wanting to print all the firearms related C.R.S. lingo to keep in a binder for reference.

Keens

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm with you on getting the GFSZ law repealed! I do/still check maps for these zones before heading into an unfamiliar area I plan to OC in, but I feel its just impossible to know where every school is. There could be some little school around the corner that nobody knows about and its just a hassle to check the maps on my iPhone everytime I want to OC in a new area. Criminals don't care about GFSZ's, they know its an easy target since folks are not armed. Now I wonder about the recent CA school shootings. If there wasn't GFSZ's, and a OC'er or CC'er were there, it may have been very possible lives could have been saved.

Bingo on both accounts. The obvious question is why must we law-abiding citizens keep track of every one of the hundreds of GFSZs (in the Springs, anyway) and risk running afoul of the law if we inadvertently OC through them while the law-breakers who're concealing could care less?

What a GFSZ DOES do:

1. It criminalizes otherwise lawful OC or lawful CC in states where CC doesn't require a permit.

2. It criminalizes otherwise lawful use of a firearm in defense self, others, and property.

What a GFSZ does NOT do:

A. Deter crimes involving firearms.

B. Deter school shootings.

yotebuster223

Wife and I took our CCW class with Potomac Ltd. LLC on April 24th 2012, class was $85 and took about 4 hours. Submitted our CCW applications to Jefferson County on April 25th 2012 and got the call Thursday May 17th 2012 that we have been cleared and our permits are ready to be picked up. One other thing Jeffco dropped the CCW Permit fee from $100 to $72.50 and renewal is only $40 what a bargain.

Keens

Wife and I took our CCW class with Potomac Ltd. LLC on April 24th 2012, class was $85 and took about 4 hours. Submitted our CCW applications to Jefferson County on April 25th 2012 and got the call Thursday May 17th 2012 that we have been cleared and our permits are ready to be picked up. One other thing Jeffco dropped the CCW Permit fee from $100 to $72.50 and renewal is only $40 what a bargain.

Hello! Congratulations on your new permits! That is a bargain for $72.50! I wonder if they lowered it due to high demand? Or to encourage more people to get their permits? I had to pay the full $100 to the Elbert County Sheriff plus another $52.50 to the CBI. I still prefer OC and only CC around the GFZ's and in Denver. I like to be an ambassador to OC and educate people that OC is legal and that if they can own a gun, they too can OC. Hope to meet you at a Meet and Greet soon! Again, congratulations to the both of you!

Blessings,

Keens

M-Taliesin

Hello! Congratulations on your new permits! That is a bargain for $72.50!

Howdy Folks!
I want it clearly understood I ain't busting anybody's chops here, but take exception to the whole idea of a permit being a 'bargain'.

How can it be a bargain when paying to exercise a Constitutional right? How is it a bargain to pay for a fundamental freedom stipulated in the core document of our nation? How is being compelled to purchase a permit and pay for background checks NOT an infringement on the right of the people to keep and bear arms? I don't care whether they charge $100 or just $1.00. They are still selling freedom that was already purchased by the blood of our patriots.

Do I have a permit? Yes. That doesn't mean I can't speak my mind about the infringement of my 2a rights by requiring one in order to carry a handgun in Denver in particular, or concealed in general. Of course, it's only a matter of time before my right to speak out against it is also charged or ends up requiring a permit to exercise. When we accept a permit, it does not abdicate our dissent about the infringement.

Now that I've got that off my chest.... Congrats on getting those permits.
Hopefully, before we face getting them renewed, Colorado will become a Constitutional Carry state again.
Then the bargain envisioned by the authors of our Constitution can agree that the people have taken their freedom back from those who seek to usurp the power of the citizen.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Beau

Aside from not having to pay for a permission slip at all, it would be nice if Colorado followed Indiana's example. The licensing system is run by the state police so the licensing system is uniform. The total fee for a license that is good for life, that's right life, is $125. Also they don't have the retarded mandatory training requirement.