• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OhGAM Repeal: "A step backward on guns"

Repeater

Michael Paul Williams is unhappy we succeeded:

A step backward on guns
Somewhere, gun traffickers are smiling.

The gun lobby is ecstatic.

New Yorkers? Not so much.

The repeal of Virginia's one-handgun-a-month law would complete the gutting of a measure that was a documented success before state lawmakers began chipping away at it.

It's hard to understand why anyone needs to purchase more than one handgun a month. You don't hunt deer with handguns, which too often end up in the wrong hands. Perhaps repealing this law is a way for some diehards to get back at those Yankees, 150 years after the Civil War.

The decreased effectiveness of the handgun limit was self-inflicted. In 2004, lawmakers carved out exceptions for concealed weapon permit holders and persons purchasing a handgun in a private sale.

"I think the law was dumbed down a bit," said Josh Horwitz, director of the Washington-based Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, who estimates that private sales make up 40 percent of the Virginia market.

"What I really find offensive about this is that we started with something that really works," he said.

In December, a Virginia gun was linked to the fatal shooting of New York Police Officer Peter Figoski, 47, a father of four. The gun was lost by its owner here in 2009; its disappearance was never reported, Horwitz said.

According to an article in the New York Daily News, Figoski "has become the face of New York's futile fight to stop the flow of deadly guns from Virginia's gun dealers up the so-called Iron Pipeline to the city."

Perhaps the faces and gun-control records of Virginia legislators should be plastered on New York billboards.

So, it's all about the Civil War? It's all about "need" -- it's all about cop killings in NYC? It's our fault?

Wow, how desperate is Williams?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Three glaring mistakes:

. You don't hunt deer with handguns,
Yeah I do!

the Civil War.
War of Northern Aggression.

. Perhaps repealing this law is a way for some diehards to get back at those Yankees, 150 years after
It ain't over till it's over and even then, it ain't over!

Last edited:

sidestreet

Ya' know...,

speaking of "need", I would think that they NEED to stop those NYPD officers from smuggling guns and all kinds of other illegal stuff first, and sweep up around their own back porches before they start pointing fingers (hey, come to think of it, maybe we could charge old Bloomy with brandishing somehow, let's ask Poindexter and the Surry Sheriff) at our state. Here's a thought, maybe they should paste the pictures of all those crooked NYPD cops on billboards around Bloomy's offices and his residences so that he has to look at them every day, and let them become the poster boys of the failed and futile fight to stop deadly gun traffic. Talk about aggression!!!

And the Josh Horwitz comment, isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black? :)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

TFred

"The decreased effectiveness of the handgun limit was self-inflicted. In 2004, lawmakers carved out exceptions for concealed weapon permit holders and persons purchasing a handgun in a private sale."

He's got this wrong. The reference to "private sale" is restricted to Curios & Relics. Of course there are certainly other errors as well. I suspect this: "private sales make up 40 percent of the Virginia market" is probably pulled out of thin air as well.

From § 18.2-308.2:2. Criminal history record information check required for the transfer of certain firearms.

2. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to:

i. A person who purchases a handgun in a private sale. For purposes of this subdivision, a private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics;​

TFred

The Wolfhound

How exacty, can STUPID be "dumbed down"?

""I think the law was dumbed down a bit," said Josh Horwitz, director of the Washington-based Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, who estimates that private sales make up 40 percent of the Virginia market."

The law was idiotic to begin with, just how can that be dumbed down?

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Three glaring mistakes:

Yeah I do!

the Civil War.

. Perhaps repealing this law is a way for some diehards to get back at those Yankees, 150 years after

I've decided that it wasn't the "war of Northern aggression", the "late unpleasantness", and there was certainly nothing "civil" about it. It was an invasion of Virginia by the United States, not by Massachussetts or New York - they merely provided the troops. It was a war of aggression and imperial domination by the United States, and the states lost, fair and square (just wish Stonewall Jackson had been in command instead of cousin-by-marriage Lee.) The issue wasn't slavery, it was the Constitution - under the Constitution of the U.S. as it was at the time, who gets to decide what constitutes, "property"? It was a seriously bad situation, and as we say "in the industry", "bad cases make bad law". Well, this one did - the U.S. won the Constitution by right of conquest, and now it means whatever they say it means.

But back to the topic at hand, it was, in a sense, about that war. The guarantee of equal protection of the law in the post-war amendments was mainly to guarantee that recently designated citizens of the black persuasion has as much right to keep and bear arms as did their white brothers. And now, thanks be to God, we will all be able to buy whatever handguns we want to buy from licensed dealers in order to protect ourselves, our homes (assuming that the "castle doctrine" bills get quashed), and our families. Saint Martin Luther King Jr. would be pleased, that the grandchildren of sharecroppers and the grandchildren of landlords can all enjoy a day of killing paper at the range together.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Facts take all the fun out of it Dan....:lol:

You're as bad as my wife. I was watching a western this morning and the Chief said something about not trusting the white man. I looked at Jane and said "Yeah...we can't trust the white man"!

She rolled her eyes and just said "Dear....you're as white as they come"!

I just get no respect.:banghead:

Last edited:

Repeater

Wilder badmouths Deeds

Wilder: Senate Dems sold out on gun-a-month repeal
Former Gov. Doug Wilder is blaming fellow Democrats in Virginia's Senate for allowing the repeal last week of one of his legislative legacies — the 19-year-old law limiting individuals to one handgun purchase per month.

Speaking on the issue for the first time in an interview with The Associated Press last week, the former governor and Richmond mayor said insatiably pro-gun Republicans had been trying for years to end the law that halted Virginia's reign as a promised land for gun runners.

They did what he thought they'd do. It was his own party, which holds 20 Senate seats just as the Republicans do, that shirked its duty, he said. And he singled out two Democrats in particular for blame: Sens. R. Creigh Deeds, of rural bath County, and John Edwards, who represents the city of Roanoke.

Wilder still feels strongly about the gun-control bill, ranking it only behind the creation of the rainy day reserve fund to tide Virginia through fiscal downturns as the legislation that defined his tenure.

"I predict what was will come back in terms of the proliferation of handguns," Wilder said. "I am convinced that the overwhelming majority of people in Virginia don't want to change the law."

He proposed the one-gun-a-month law over outcries from the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights groups in 1993, when guns initially sold here turned up with unsettling regularity in the hands of thugs in New York and other Northeastern cities.

Deeds, then a freshman member of the House of Delegates, voted against Wilder's bill back then. Deeds championed its repeal in two unsuccessful statewide races since then — for attorney general in 2005, and for governor in 2009.

Wilder said he knew Deeds would enthusiastically support the repeal of the law.

"The atmosphere for this to come about was created several years ago when Creigh decided to run for attorney general and made it a staple of his platform. I don't know of any Democrats who called him down," Wilder said. "The fact that he narrowly lost — 300 votes — told me right there the atmosphere had been poisoned."

That was the reason, Wilder said, that he refused to endorse Deeds in the gubernatorial race three years ago, even refusing an entreaty from President Barack Obama to close ranks behind the Democratic nominee.

Deeds says he's lost no sleep over it and is convinced he did the right thing.

"I voted against it in 1993 because I thought it was arbitrary and would do nothing to stop violent crime, and because there were so many exemptions in the law. If you have a concealed weapons permit, you can buy more than one a month. If you're a police officer, it doesn't apply. It doesn't apply to rifles or shotguns," Deeds said.

"Doug Wilder is a historic figure in Virginia's history and the history of the country, but that was bad policy then and it's bad policy now," Deeds said.

Edwards' support for the repeal, Wilder said, surprised him.

Jack House

Facts take all the fun out of it Dan....:lol:

You're as bad as my wife. I was watching a western this morning and the Chief said something about not trusting the white man. I looked at Jane and said "Yeah...we can't trust the white man"!

She rolled her eyes and just said "Dear....you're as white as they come"!

I just get no respect.:banghead:
Rodney Dangerfield <3

Posted using my HTCEvo via Tapatalk

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I'm noticing most of the northern Virginia Democrats booing and hooing about the repeal. Seems to me they're going to make it a Virginia campaign issue in November.

I almost hope so.

TFred

Wilder is willing to come up and talk about this, his "legacy", but try to get him to answer questions about his "other" "would-be legacy," the Slavery Museum that was to be built in Fredericksburg.

On that subject, the guy is crickets.

TFred

Museum Stall

[snips]

Mr. Wilder, despite all of his proclamations, has not done what needs to be done to make his pet project a reality. "It's like chasing smoke with Mr. Wilder," noted the sculptor who crafted the pieces in the museum garden. Therbia Parker of Suffolk, who donated about $75,000 worth of artifacts, including a precious first edition of "Uncle Tom's Cabin," can't even get his phone calls returned. The city, to which the museum owes $264,000 in back taxes, and Pei Partnership Architects, awarded $5.17 million by a court in New York in a judgment against the museum, both continue to await payment.

[snips]

MSC 45ACP

Three glaring mistakes:

Yeah I do!

the Civil War.

You and my spousal unit must be related.
She has a t-shirt that says "Lee surrendered, I didn't!"

user

Accomplished Advocate
You and my spousal unit must be related.
She has a t-shirt that says "Lee surrendered, I didn't!"

"I didn't surrender, neither. But they took my horse, and made him surrender.
I think he's pullin' a cart over in Kansas or sum'n'."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"I didn't surrender, neither. But they took my horse, and made him surrender.
I think he's pullin' a cart over in Kansas or sum'n'."

"I have heard. You are the grey rider. You would not make peace with the Bluecoats. You may go in peace. "

Last edited:

Repeater

House passes SB 323 (64-32)

Morrissey said foolish things on the House floor this afternoon regarding SB323.

He's so worried the bill will make it legal for a person to buy 10 handguns at once, then go to Philly, Newark, or New York City and sell them there -- and it will all be legal!!!

Remember, he used to be a Commonwealth's Attorney.

He used to be a lawyer.