• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OhGAM Repeal: "A step backward on guns"

TFred

Morrissey said foolish things on the House floor this afternoon regarding SB323.

He's so worried the bill will make it legal for a person to buy 10 handguns at once, then go to Philly, Newark, or New York City and sell them there -- and it will all be legal!!!

Remember, he used to be a Commonwealth's Attorney.

He used to be a lawyer.
Given the man in question, what is more likely, that he would be mistaken, or that he would lie about it?

TFred

Marco

A friend of mine sent me this: As I don't do FB.

From Tim Kaine's facebook page:
Tim Kaine

The repeal of Governor Wilder's one gun a month law is an unfortunate setback for Virginia's public safety and a hindrance to efforts by law enforcement officials to reduce the presence of illegal guns on our streets. This sensible regulation has worked as a successful barrier to dangerous gun trafficking that used to occur in Virginia and I am concerned about the effect its repeal will have on the security of our communities. This trend of rolling back commonsense achievements, whether in public safety or women's health, is troubling when our Commonwealth and our country face so many pressing challenges. Instead, I urge legislators to reject these culture wars and look for common ground on economic issues of job creation that will put people back to work and move Virginia forward.

TFred

A friend of mine sent me this: As I don't do FB.

From Tim Kaine's facebook page:
Tim Kaine

The repeal of Governor Wilder's one gun a month law is an unfortunate setback for Virginia's public safety and a hindrance to efforts by law enforcement officials to reduce the presence of illegal guns on our streets. This sensible regulation has worked as a successful barrier to dangerous gun trafficking that used to occur in Virginia and I am concerned about the effect its repeal will have on the security of our communities. This trend of rolling back commonsense achievements, whether in public safety or women's health, is troubling when our Commonwealth and our country face so many pressing challenges. Instead, I urge legislators to reject these culture wars and look for common ground on economic issues of job creation that will put people back to work and move Virginia forward.
Someone should remind Mr. Kaine that the vote was not entirely along party lines.

And also remind Mr. Kaine that the original imposition of this and other nefarious anti-gun laws were very much a part of their own "culture war!"

TFred

Last edited:

2a4all

Morrissey said foolish things on the House floor this afternoon regarding SB323.

He's so worried the bill will make it legal for a person to buy 10 handguns at once, then go to Philly, Newark, or New York City and sell them there -- and it will all be legal!!!

Remember, he used to be a Commonwealth's Attorney.

He used to be a lawyer.
Legal where?
Buying them in the Commonwealth might be (post 7/1/2012), but it certainly won't be legal to take them into NY (Sullivan Law), let alone sell them. I expect it's just as restricted in Joisey. Don't know about Philly.

The wisdom of repealing OHGAM is that if the guns are bought legally here, the "runners" will (likely) be breaking the law somewhere else, and if caught, will be tried, convicted, and imprisoned at that state's expense. We'll save tax dollars!

Too bad the BATFE screwed up "Fast & Furious". These folks might have had better opportunities in Mexico.

Doogie

Winkler: Repeal of one-handgun-a-month law called immoral

For everyone's enjoyment :mad:

As a resident of Virginia for the past 26 years, and chair of the Faiths United Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence, I am angry. I am angry at Gov. Bob McDonnell and the Virginia legislature for repealing one of the few strong gun laws that we have in this state.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...repeal-of-one-handgun-a-month-law-ar-1745379/

stickslinger

For everyone's enjoyment :mad:

As a resident of Virginia for the past 26 years, and chair of the Faiths United Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence, I am angry. I am angry at Gov. Bob McDonnell and the Virginia legislature for repealing one of the few strong gun laws that we have in this state.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...repeal-of-one-handgun-a-month-law-ar-1745379/

Sounds like a pretty radical group to me, "the members of the Faiths United coalition" all should be the first candidates for the GPS tracking devices in my opinion.

mk4

Baltimore Police Raid Gun Distribution Ring; Arrest 3 Suspects
March 9, 2012 7:38 PM

BALTIMORE (WJZ)– Guns, drugs and cash. All seized by police while busting a gun distribution ring in Baltimore and Baltimore County.
Police have not confirmed where the guns came from but say many are smuggled in from Virginia and North Carolina.
Federal authorities may be expanding the gun ring investigation beyond Maryland’s borders.

as if Bloomy wasn't enough, now we've got MD pointing at us and getting the federales involved. how soon 'til they start decrying our ohgam repeal as the root of their own problems?

2a4all

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Baltimore Police Raid Gun Distribution Ring; Arrest 3 Suspects
March 9, 2012 7:38 PM
BALTIMORE (WJZ)– Guns, drugs and cash. All seized by police while busting a gun distribution ring in Baltimore and Baltimore County.
Police have not confirmed where the guns came from but say many are smuggled in from Virginia and North Carolina.
Federal authorities may be expanding the gun ring investigation beyond Maryland’s borders.

as if Bloomy wasn't enough, now we've got MD pointing at us and getting the federales involved. how soon 'til they start decrying our ohgam repeal as the root of their own problems?

Though they "have not confirmed where the guns came from" they are quick to point their finger and lay the blame on someone else.

If Maryland and New York would keep their criminals home, we would not have near as many burglaries and larcenies.