• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan laws

detroit_fan

I dont have the cite handy, its the federal one, but you have to be licensed in the state of issuance.

i understand the law, i'm just saying has anyone ever been arrested and prosecuted under it as a stand alone charge? i can not find 1 instance of that happening. some people are acting like the OP will be arrested just for entering a school zone here in MI but i can't find 1 instance of that ever happening, in ANY state. i know i personally go to ohio and tennesse often and carry in SZ's without worry. i'm guessing many other members on this board have also carried in other states with reciprocity and been in SZ's without issue.

Last edited:

Yooper

What happens if you're carrying in a school zone that's in a different state than your home state (with a permit), but you're in your home state? There are several schools, both in MI and WI that are within 1000 feet of the state line (according to Google Earth). Let's say a person is in WI with a WI permit, but is standing within 1000 feet of the MI school, could that person be charged for violating the GFSZA?

mssurrey

so what happens if (as a MI resident) I'm driving by/near a school and I get stopped (cc'ing or oc'ing) - am I breaking the law?
I thought it was that we couldn't go into a school - i didn't know that we had to be 1000ft away???
We all drive by/near schools everyday???

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

so what happens if (as a MI resident) I'm driving by/near a school and I get stopped (cc'ing or oc'ing) - am I breaking the law?
I thought it was that we couldn't go into a school - i didn't know that we had to be 1000ft away???
We all drive by/near schools everyday???

As long as you are licensed by the state which the school zone is located you're good.

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;