• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois open carry discussion on another forum.

kurt555gs

I have not posted here very much, but I am a strong supporter of open carry. Here is a link to an open carry thread I started on another forum that I participate in: -> http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28881&view=findpost&p=310299

I think the Illinois open carry community will find this interesting. I am sorry to say that the big 3 players have little if any interest in un-licensed open carry in Illinois.

I actually think the time is right for open carry legislation avoiding home rule communities.

I am thinking about how to do this.

More later.....

kurt555gs

I spent they day researching if passing an open carry bill in Illinois is possible. I consulted with a heavy hitter lobbyist and the general consensus is I can get a couple of sponsors and steer the bill into a friendly committee.

I see one problem that can stop this. The ISRA, NRA, and illinoiscarry are working very hard to pass the concealed carry bill HB148. They may feel an open carry bill that I introduce may interfere with what they are doing and give an oppose recommendation killing open carry in committee.

I myself have 15+ years if wrangling with IDPH and I EPA along with serving on a Governors commission as well as a commission of the house. I have a full understanding of what this project entails.

I am not asking for any money. But I may need the support of those that think a good unlicensed open carry law in Illinois is needed apart from concealed carry with help in keeping the ISRA, NRA, illinoiscarry.com at least neutral.

I need to do more research before I commit to this venture and would like to hear your comments.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

lockman

State Researcher
Some uncomplicated ways to achieve this.

Repeal the Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon statute.

Repeal 720 ILCS 5/21-6 Sec. 21-6. Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons.

Repeal 720 ILCS 5/24-1 a(4),(8) & (10).

The above will reset Illinois back to open carry. The code of 1961 was restrictive enough but allowed open carry. they have turned a 1 page statute into volumes of convoluted law upon law with numerous exemptions making it virtually impossible to understand. It is written from the perspective that all weapon carry is unlawful except for those with exemptions. It should be the other way around, lawful to carry unless otherwise prohibited. This would be much easier to draft and comprehend because the law would define what is illegal and can ignore all else.

This harkens back to the assertion "show me where the law allows open carry". No, show me where the law prohibits it. I have yet to find the statute that allows me to breathe.

kurt555gs

Sorry for for getting every ones hopes up but for reasons I didn't want to get into on an open forum there really could have been a better than good chance of getting open carry in Illinois done.

Unfortunately I was just informed in a very terse PM on the other forum that open carry will not happen in Illinois. Any bill that would legalize it would be killed.

The source is credible.

Sorry.

kurt555gs

I woke up this morning and decided to fight. I will be working to being an open carry bill to the house in the next session. Having the representative of the big gun rights group tell me they will kill any open carry bill just doesn't sit right with me.

I support their efforts to bring concealed carry to Illinois, but just because they don't want or control an open carry effort, I don't feel like lying down and taking it.

What I want to do is right, and good for Illinois. Last time I checked, I didn't have to raise my hand and ask for permission.

Join my fight for open carry in non home rule area of Illinois.

Charles E. Nichols

Federal Court

I woke up this morning and decided to fight. I will be working to being an open carry bill to the house in the next session. Having the representative of the big gun rights group tell me they will kill any open carry bill just doesn't sit right with me.

I support their efforts to bring concealed carry to Illinois, but just because they don't want or control an open carry effort, I don't feel like lying down and taking it.

What I want to do is right, and good for Illinois. Last time I checked, I didn't have to raise my hand and ask for permission.

Join my fight for open carry in non home rule area of Illinois.

I think you'll find that you will have better luck by simply bringing a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit seeking an injunction against the Illinois statutes which make it a crime to openly carry a loaded firearm in public places.

I too faced stiff opposition by the NRA/SAF and a couple of California groups; the CRPA (the NRA's state affiliate) and CalGuns.

The US Supreme Court in the Heller decision said that state's may ban concealed carry. Why these folks are pursing hopeless concealed carry lawsuits is beyond me, but no matter.

You can follow my progress in the Federal Central District Court of California here -> Docket

And at my website here -> CaliforniaRightToCarry.org

Charles Nichols
http://CaliforniaRightToCarry.org

nobama

I think you'll find that you will have better luck by simply bringing a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit seeking an injunction against the Illinois statutes which make it a crime to openly carry a loaded firearm in public places.

I too faced stiff opposition by the NRA/SAF and a couple of California groups; the CRPA (the NRA's state affiliate) and CalGuns.

The US Supreme Court in the Heller decision said that state's may ban concealed carry. Why these folks are pursing hopeless concealed carry lawsuits is beyond me, but no matter.

You can follow my progress in the Federal Central District Court of California here -> Docket

And at my website here -> CaliforniaRightToCarry.org

Charles Nichols
http://CaliforniaRightToCarry.org

being born and raised in Ill.until 1984, I dont see how anyone could get support for unlicenced OC, they cant even get cc passed. I live in NC now and OC regularly,and would love to see it happen there,but,I just dont see it. I hope and pray someday it will happen.If it wasnt for Cook co. It would happen.Keep up the good fight!

kurt555gs

I am proposing open carry outside off home rule communities. Chicago, Cook County and about 30 other cities would be excluded. Hopefully the NRA, ISRA, and Illinoiscarry.com can get concealed carry ( HB148 ) passed for all of Illinois.

Charles E. Nichols

I am proposing open carry outside off home rule communities. Chicago, Cook County and about 30 other cities would be excluded. Hopefully the NRA, ISRA, and Illinoiscarry.com can get concealed carry ( HB148 ) passed for all of Illinois.

Well, if you are successful it certainly will make it easier for someone to make a strong equal protection case in addition to a Second Amendment one.

Packer fan

I never understand why so many "pro" gun groups fight against unlicensed carry then make the claim of being "pro" 2A. Good luck Ill you have an up hill battle.

I use to travel through Ill wen heading to Wi but now avoid the state choosing to travel through Mo and Ia because of the gun laws. That's gas revenue or eating revenue etc. not to mention the tolls I now spend in more gun friendly states.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Licensed, concealed carry is fine, but unless they have unlicensed open carry to go with it, I'll never move back to Illinois, regardless what my relatives want. It's one of the reasons I'll never move to Texas too.

If you have licensed concealed carry, but no allowance for open carry, you're setting things up for people to get pinched just because their weapon is accidentally exposed, however briefly, or if it prints against a shirt or jacket, or any of a number of situations where a "reasonable person" can tell you're carrying a pistol.

If I were involved, I'd fight for both. But maybe that's just me. In any event, I think it will still take some time, considering the influence that Chicago has over the rest of the state, I'll be surprised if legal carry of any sort passes. Unless you can kick Chicago and most of Cook County out of Illinois and make them their own city-state, which it practically is anyway.

Good luck, I'll be watching from Michigan. :)

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher

Kurt, we had "rural open carry" before the aggravated UUW statute and the silly public storage of weapons law. These changes all started in the late 80's and continued piling on since. Every year the UUW section grew to the monstrosity it is today.

If you want to reset it back to around the 80's you can focus on the repeal of just a few specific paragraphs. If you want full preempted open carry that will be very difficult through the legislature.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Licensed, concealed carry is fine, but unless they have unlicensed open carry to go with it, I'll never move back to Illinois, regardless what my relatives want. It's one of the reasons I'll never move to Texas too.

If you have licensed concealed carry, but no allowance for open carry, you're setting things up for people to get pinched just because their weapon is accidentally exposed, however briefly, or if it prints against a shirt or jacket, or any of a number of situations where a "reasonable person" can tell you're carrying a pistol.

If I were involved, I'd fight for both. But maybe that's just me. In any event, I think it will still take some time, considering the influence that Chicago has over the rest of the state, I'll be surprised if legal carry of any sort passes. Unless you can kick Chicago and most of Cook County out of Illinois and make them their own city-state, which it practically is anyway.

Good luck, I'll be watching from Michigan. :)

You are right on the money ... cc in IL will just result in lab abiding citizens becoming felons