• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University of Wisconsin-Extension trys to restirct CCW by volunteers

Firearms Iinstuctor

Letter sent to volunteer instructors

University of Wisconsin-Extension
436 Lowell Hall
610 Langdon Street
Madison, WI 53703-1195
608-262-1223
608-265-6407 (fax)
800-947-3529 (TTY)
Cooperative Extension
4-H Youth Development Programs
February 9, 2012
Dear 4-H Shooting Sports Leader,
Your continued support as a 4-H Leader in shooting sports is greatly appreciated. This personal commitment has allowed the Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports program to experience tremendous statewide growth in recent years. Supporting your volunteer role and keeping you informed of current changes are important to this continued success. One recent change in the conceal carry law has brought about a 4-H policy change that needs to be shared with all 4-H Shooting Sports volunteer leaders.

Policies of the UW System apply to your local 4-H program. Recently, the UW System created policies addressing the conceal carry law. The new policies placed restrictions on volunteers and UW-Extension employees working with the 4-H Shooting Sports program. Therefore, it was necessary to ask for a 4-H policy change.

The following excerpt came from a letter on January 20, 2012, from Cooperative Extension Dean and Director, Rick Klemme.
In response to Wisconsin Act 35, UW System issued General Administrative Policy and Procedure G51, which prohibits the use of weapons by University employees and volunteers. The policy states that this prohibition does not apply to those who have the written approval of the chief administrative officer or his or her designee to carry a firearm or weapon while on duty. I am writing to authorize the carrying of firearms, airguns, bows and arrows by University of Wisconsin-Extension, Cooperative Extension Employees and 4-H Youth Development Shooting Sports Volunteers while acting in the scope of their duties in the Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports Program. I am requesting that the following language be inserted in Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports Policy:
“As authorized by the Dean of Cooperative Extension, the carrying of firearms, airguns, bows and arrows is allowed by University of Wisconsin-Extension, Cooperative Extension Employees and 4-H Youth Development Shooting Sports Volunteers while acting in the scope of their duties and Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports Policy. We expect all guns for 4-H shooting sports to be carried openly in designated areas.”
University of Wisconsin, U.S. Department of Agriculture and Wisconsin counties cooperating. UW-Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming including Title IX and ADA.

The letter issued by Dean Klemme has now addressed this policy and authorizes volunteers and Extension staff to carry shooting sports equipment necessary for conducting shooting sports programs. Please note the carried openly wording in the policy above. This means while acting in your 4-H Shooting Sports Leader role, even if you have a conceal carry permit, you are not authorized to carry concealed. This letter requires no action on your part. Both your local UW-Extension office and the State 4-H Shooting Sports Management Committee are jointly notifying 4-H Shooting Sports Leaders statewide of the policy change with this letter.
In the future, new 4-H Shooting Sports volunteers attending 4-H Shooting Sports Certification Workshops will be informed of this policy change as part of their certification training.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to 4-H Shooting Sports.
Provided on behalf of your local 4-H Youth Development Educator and the State 4-H Shooting Sports Committee.
Sincerely,
Doug Thompson, Coordinator
Wisconsin State 4-H Shooting Sports

A lot of these programs are run on privite property by unpaid volunteers. Good luck to them, these idiots could srew up the whole program.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
So, the instructors are trusted with loaded guns, to teach students, but not CCW

Letter sent to volunteer instructors

University of Wisconsin-Extension
436 Lowell Hall
610 Langdon Street
Madison, WI 53703-1195
608-262-1223
608-265-6407 (fax)
800-947-3529 (TTY)
Cooperative Extension
4-H Youth Development Programs
February 9, 2012
Dear 4-H Shooting Sports Leader,
Your continued support as a 4-H Leader in shooting sports is greatly appreciated. This personal commitment has allowed the Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports program to experience tremendous statewide growth in recent years. Supporting your volunteer role and keeping you informed of current changes are important to this continued success. One recent change in the conceal carry law has brought about a 4-H policy change that needs to be shared with all 4-H Shooting Sports volunteer leaders.

Policies of the UW System apply to your local 4-H program. Recently, the UW System created policies addressing the conceal carry law. The new policies placed restrictions on volunteers and UW-Extension employees working with the 4-H Shooting Sports program. Therefore, it was necessary to ask for a 4-H policy change.

The following excerpt came from a letter on January 20, 2012, from Cooperative Extension Dean and Director, Rick Klemme.
In response to Wisconsin Act 35, UW System issued General Administrative Policy and Procedure G51, which prohibits the use of weapons by University employees and volunteers. The policy states that this prohibition does not apply to those who have the written approval of the chief administrative officer or his or her designee to carry a firearm or weapon while on duty. I am writing to authorize the carrying of firearms, airguns, bows and arrows by University of Wisconsin-Extension, Cooperative Extension Employees and 4-H Youth Development Shooting Sports Volunteers while acting in the scope of their duties in the Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports Program. I am requesting that the following language be inserted in Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports Policy:
“As authorized by the Dean of Cooperative Extension, the carrying of firearms, airguns, bows and arrows is allowed by University of Wisconsin-Extension, Cooperative Extension Employees and 4-H Youth Development Shooting Sports Volunteers while acting in the scope of their duties and Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports Policy. We expect all guns for 4-H shooting sports to be carried openly in designated areas.”
University of Wisconsin, U.S. Department of Agriculture and Wisconsin counties cooperating. UW-Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming including Title IX and ADA.

The letter issued by Dean Klemme has now addressed this policy and authorizes volunteers and Extension staff to carry shooting sports equipment necessary for conducting shooting sports programs. Please note the carried openly wording in the policy above. This means while acting in your 4-H Shooting Sports Leader role, even if you have a conceal carry permit, you are not authorized to carry concealed. This letter requires no action on your part. Both your local UW-Extension office and the State 4-H Shooting Sports Management Committee are jointly notifying 4-H Shooting Sports Leaders statewide of the policy change with this letter.
In the future, new 4-H Shooting Sports volunteers attending 4-H Shooting Sports Certification Workshops will be informed of this policy change as part of their certification training.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to 4-H Shooting Sports.
Provided on behalf of your local 4-H Youth Development Educator and the State 4-H Shooting Sports Committee.
Sincerely,
Doug Thompson, Coordinator
Wisconsin State 4-H Shooting Sports

A lot of these programs are run on privite property by unpaid volunteers. Good luck to them, these idiots could srew up the whole program.

Funny how the volunteers are trusted to teach students with loaded guns, but not to conceal carry. They are stirring up a hornets nest with this foolish letter.

MKEgal

The letter issued by Dean Klemme has now addressed this policy and authorizes volunteers and Extension staff to carry shooting sports equipment necessary for conducting shooting sports programs.
Please note the carried openly wording in the policy above. This means while acting in your 4-H Shooting Sports Leader role, even if you have a conceal carry permit, you are not authorized to carry concealed.
They're drawing conclusions that aren't supported by the written policy.
1) The policy OKs people carrying firearms while teaching.
Doesn't say only program-related firearms, & the policy can't have any effect when they're not teaching.

2) They're assuming that the policy "authorizes staff to carry shooting sports equipment necessary for conducting shooting sports programs"... Couldn't they do that before? If not, how did the equipment get from place to place?
And I don't see where the statement attributed to the head honcho says anything about prohibiting the carry of non-program-related equipment or tools.

3) The policy states that they expect the guns used for the program to be carried openly in the places they mark or tell you to do so.
Unless you're teaching pistol, that's not a problem.
And it's only where they post or say to do it.
And even then, they only expect it, not require it.
And if I were teaching, I'm sure that my personal self-defense tool would not be used in the program.

A lot of these programs are run on private property by unpaid volunteers.
Good luck to them, these idiots could screw up the whole program.
Heaven forbid the kids actually see people exercising their rights! :eek:
But I don't read it as being as restrictive as you think it is.
At least, what they said isn't restrictive at all, it's permissive.
That might not be what they meant to say, but it's in writing so they can't object that you're misreading or putting words in their mouth or that's not really what they said...

Last edited:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
There is the language and the intent, two different things. Although we may be able to nit-pick the language apart, I agree their intent is to restrict the rights of the volunteers.

GreenCountyPete

I got my letter Thursday, i called the state director of shooting sports Doug Thompson an talked with him Thursday evening, and asked several questions. i have been thinking about what to put in the letter i plan to right to Co-operative extension dean / director Rick Klemme.

first , this is a total non issue in every other state he knows of that has both 4h shooting sports and concealed carry as far as Doug is aware of.

Doug , disagrees with the policy he is a supporter of second amendment rights and would like to see this changed

the administration wasn't even aware that there where guns owned by extension/4h and stored in the extension offices until shooting sports made them aware of what their new rules had done. we basically were totally off their radar. the wording to authorize seems as hastily as they wrote the new no weapons rules.

second this does not apply to Parents , gun club members , and any one who is helping with shoots or providing lunch and such ,but is not a trained 4h volunteer if you took youth protection training it applies to you.

as I understand it Doug did the summary to explain it as he understood it , while Dean Klemme wrote the actual wording.

"designated Areas" needs defining , is this to give us permission to carry the 4h guns in and out of the Posted Extension office , or is the intent also to keep us form carrying our own "non discipline" guns at the range while providing instruction.

Doug felt that as long as we were carrying openly , it would not be a problem to open carry Other than 4H guns at our range.

I would like everyone's input on a letter to the Dean

hey on a much lighter note , those of us adding additional certifications can now do them in 8 hours rather than 12 , unfortunately pistol isn't being offered till fall , bummer maybe i will pick up archery in the spring or maybe i will just be a parent at archery this year. we will see.