Thread: So I'm 19, where CAN I open carry in North Carolina?

So I'm 19, where CAN I open carry in North Carolina?

Hey y'all this is my first post ever on this sight but I'm a long time reader. I have a Glock 19 that was gifted to me by my father. I have done the research and I know that OC is allowed by anyone over 18 in NC. But all I am seeing is all the places I CANT OC, so my question is can some one give me some places where I CAN OC? thanks guys and I cant wait to hear from y'all and be a part of this awesome community.

That is how laws work. They tell you what you CAN'T do.
    Welcome to the site.

Open Carry:
    Unrestricted under state law except for certain events such as public parades.

Places off-limits when carrying:
    • Any location prohibited by federal law.
    • A law enforcement of correctional facility.
    • A building housing only state, federal or government offices.
    • A financial institution.
    • Any public or private school building or bus, campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic fields or other property used or owned by an edicational institution.
    • Any assembly where a fee had been charged for admission or where alcoholic beverages are sold and comsumed.
    • Any other premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
    • It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated
    with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any firearm.

Read read and read some more.
    KNOW YOUR RIGHTS so that no LEOs will try to step on them.
    Carry a recorder and USE it. It is for you protection! I use my cell. nobody ever knows I'm recording.
    Good luck and carry on!!!!

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Welcome to the forum and welcome to open carrying. The web of laws about where you can and can't carry in the state of North Carolina is a fairly thick one. Once you read through the red tape a few times it won't seem so complicated. This is a list of places off the top of my head where you can carry and is not a complete list but it should get you started.

You can carry in retail stores like Walmart, Best Buy, Gander Mountain, Food Lion, Home Depot, etc. You can carry in convienience stores like Sams Mart, Circle K, Fast Phils, etc. You can carry in restaurants like Mc Donalds, Taco Bell, KFC, IHOP, Golden Corral, Starbucks, and other restaurants that don't serve alcohol. Basically any buisness that is open to the public, doesn't serve alcohol, doesn't charge admission, and isn't posted no guns. If asked to leave you must do so or you may get charged with tresspassing.

Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    Welcome to the site.

Open Carry:

• A building housing only state, federal or government offices.
    • A financial institution.
    • Any public or private school building or bus, campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic fields or other property used or owned by an edicational institution.
    • Any assembly where a fee had been charged for admission or where alcoholic beverages are sold and comsumed.
    • Any other premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
    • It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated
    with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any firearm.

Carry a recorder and USE it. It is for you protection! I use my cell. nobody ever knows I'm recording.

OK man thanks a lot for the info

Actually, as of the passing of House Bill 650, this past year, open carrying of firearms, and open carrying alone, is allowed in financial institutions who have not posted signs prohibiting such.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Actually, as of the passing of House Bill 650, this past year, open carrying of firearms, and open carrying alone, is allowed in financial institutions who have not posted signs prohibiting such.
    Think you have it backwards, previous to HB650, Open Carry was permitted and only Open Carry. With the passage of HB 650, CC is now permitted in banks as well as OC, unless posted of course.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    Think you have it backwards, previous to HB650, Open Carry was permitted and only Open Carry. With the passage of HB 650, CC is now permitted in banks as well as OC, unless posted of course.
    Actually, the initial assertion was wrong. Apparently, open carry was allowed prior to it, and CC was allowed with HB 650. But Open Carry wasn't disallowed, either. Financial institutions are now treated as any other business.
    Last edited by Shimmer; 02-15-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Actually, the initial assertion was wrong. Apparently, open carry was allowed prior to it, and CC was allowed with HB 650. But Open Carry wasn't disallowed, either. Financial institutions are now treated as any other business.

So, to clear this up, banks are now open season. Er, Open carry :P

Quote Originally Posted by drew9 View Post
    So, to clear this up, banks are now open season. Er, Open carry :P

Well, actually, to clear it up, banks have ALWAYS been OK for OC in NC (if not posted) and still are. Prior to 1/12/11, CC was specifically prohibited in banks--even if they were NOT posted. Our ONLY option for lawful carry in a bank in NC used to be OC.

The only change since 1 December 2011 is that folks who prefer CC now can exercise that option in banks if they choose.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Places off-limits when (open) carrying:
    This is not correct. Signs that ban CC specifically by name DO NOT apply to OC. If a private property owner wants to ban ALL carry, they need to use a "generic" no weapons allowed, or "gun buster" sign.

My local Suddenlink cable office in Washington NC used to have a sign that specifically prohibited concealed carry, and I used to OC there all the time to pay my bill, return or swap out equipment, etc--and it was NEVER an issue.

The law is a word game. If private property owners want to restrict your fundamental human rights, they need to be precise in the language and signage they use. The worst that can happen is they will ask you to leave, and if you do leave when requested, they can't even have you charged with trespassing under NC law.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 02-15-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Open Carry:

A law enforcement or correctional facility.
    Snipped .
    Although I'm not likely to visit while armed, the signage on the doors here only prohibit CC.

^^ thats been a subject of contention. i believe the board members are waiting for someone to test the waters on OC in a police station that is only marked no CC

Quote Originally Posted by brutus1776 View Post
    ^^ thats been a subject of contention. i believe the board members are waiting for someone to test the waters on OC in a police station that is only marked no CC

The signs that many LEAs have prohibiting CC are merely "gilding the lilly". Carry of a firearm in ANY mode is ALREADY prohibited by Statute in NC. The sign is just a reminder of a law that is ALREADY on the books, delineating LEAs as "prohibited places" for carry. Even if there was NO sign, carry of any mode would STILL be illegal in a police station.

A private business or other private property is, as a default, OK for CC and OC--just like any other place in NC not specified as a "prohibited place under statute. Posting private property doe NOT make carry there illegal--it just expresses teh wishes of the property owner that no firearms are wanted on their property. Signs do not carry the force of law under NC Law--they are merely a reminder to citizens that the property owner doesn't tolerate the carry of firearms. If they ask you to leave, and you do, there has been NO VIOLATION--even if the property is posted. It ONLY becomes a violation (trespassing) if you refuse to leave when asked.
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Dern it, both you and Dreamer said this applies to also applies to OC. Help me out here as I can't find where the state says this. The municipalities usually cover police stations as city offices, and sherrif offices and courtrooms are under county ordinance. Here in Fayetteville, the city PO is unsigned; asking the patrolman standing at the door today was not very illuminating but I figure the city ordinance covers that. The SO is marked as no concealed firearms; unfortunately, the doors were closed/locked so I couldn't go in and ask. The county courthouse prohibits CC, but not all floors or offices/spaces are courts or judicial spaces. This building is under the authority of the SO.
    Thanks.