• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What type of ammo do you carry and why

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Whenever I am able to carry, it's OCing a snub nose .38spl revolver. Because of legal reasons (no I'm not barred from owning guns), I don't have a wide variety of choices for bullets (or handguns for that matter), so currently I have half a box of Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense HD38SB, 38 Special (+P), Brass Jacket Hollow Point, 125 GR, 975 fps.

REMINGTON ARMS CO
Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense Ammo 38 Special (+P)

Loaded with their high performance Brass Jacket Hollow Point (BJHP), these rounds deliver massive expansion and deep penetration for ultimate stopping power. Premium nickel plated cases resist corrosion and cycle dependably through extended storage. Available in the most popular pistol and revolver calibers.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: HD38SB
Category: AMMO CENTERFIRE
Caliber :38 Special (+P)
Bullet Type :Brass Jacket Hollow Point
Bullet Weight :125 GR
Muzzle Energy :264 ft lbs
Muzzle Velocity :975 fps
Rounds/box :25 Rounds Per Box, 20 Boxes Per Case
Casing Material :Nickel Plated

I don't know if these are good or not...I hope so. If anyone has any knowledge about this caliber/round, feel free to enlighten me. :)

Jake8x7

Last edited:

Warp

Right now my semi autos have Speer Gold Dot. They have a proven street record, are generally available at reasonable prices, and seem to have good quality control.

My revolvers have Buffalo Bore, although I sometimes carry them loaded with Gold Dot as well.

I have a bit of Winchester Ranger but I have serious concerns about their quality control and will not be buying more.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
My main carry calibers are .357 sig. and .40 s&w. In these two calibers I carry Speer gold dot because they have good velocities, expand reliably even when fired through many different materials, and both calibers have street proven performance. I carry 125gr. in .357 and 155gr. in .40s&w.

When I carry 10mm I carry doubletap 150gr. Nosler HP for personal defense, and I carry 200gr. Buffalo bore JSP when in the field. Both of these rounds produce incredible velocities and energy up to 100 yds. These rounds produce more energy than the 41 mag. when fired from a glock 20, and a revolver of similar barrel length.

When carrying 9mm I carry gold dot 124gr. +p, in .38 special I carry Speer Gold Dot 135gr. +p in my snub's and 125gr. +p in 4" barrels or longer, and in .357 mag. I carry Hornady critical defense 125gr. in snub's, or 125gr. Buffalo bore in larger revolvers in the field.

In .45 auto I carry either Hornady XTP 230gr. +p, gold dot 185gr., or gold dot 200gr. +p depending on barrel length and whether I'm in the field or not.

In big bore revolvers I carry either Buffalo Bore or Hornady XTP custom.

I carry these rounds because they are proven, and reliable.

@Jake, I have had poor experience with the Remington HP bullet in those rounds. If you don't have over 1,000 fps or so they will not expand reliably. When fired through a snub, those rounds probably shoot around 800 fps at the muzzle, maybe less. Buy a box of Speer gold dot's 135gr. +p short barrel load. They have proven performance in actual shootings, and they expand reliably from short barrels.

Last edited:

rscottie

I carry PMC Starfire .357 Magnums in my SP101 because from what I have read they are very good for the money.

I carry Winchester 230 grain HP .45 ACP ammo in my Mil-Pro. I got it because it was a good price for a box of 50 and I shot 100 of them without a hiccup in a dirty gun that had already shot about 150 Remington Champion 230 grain FMJ.

I added 4 boxes of the PMC Starfire HPs in .45 acp to my latest ammo order just to try.

MyWifeSaidYes

S&W M&P .45 Compact - feeds everything thrown at it so far.

Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ for practice
Winchester White Box 230 grain JHP for carry

robert1970

wha I carry

in my taurus 357 mag i use remington 125 grain remington golden saber,and in my springfeild xd in 45 i use the old federal 230 grain hydrashock.

robert1970

whichester silvertips

I was just wondering if enyone knows if winchester is still making silvertips in 357 magnum.I havent seen eny in my area in a long time.

moonie

Going to seriously buck the trend here, I carry 200gr soft cast HP in my 1911 with just enough Clays to push them at 850fps. About 10" penetration and they look like a quarter when they stop.

Ashtonian18

230 gr. .45 ACP Winchester Ranger T +P's and lot's of them, They do work.
I have also carried Corbon Pow'r'balls but switched to the talons since they have a longer track record.

gobbly

I've carried Federal Premium HST, and Hornady Critical Defense FTX (both in .45). I like the federal, taken a few small animals with them and they certainly did the trick.

I carry the Hornady now because I've bought into the idea that the little plastic/rubber inserts help deal with clothing. dunno how true it is, but as I said, I've bought into it non-the-less.

kywildcat581

SIGMA SW9VE - 15 Hydrashocks 147 grain. Used to carry Hornady Critical Defense 115's. Switched to the Federals about a year ago.

Both seem like a good round, just wanted a change...

Cor-Bon 160gr DPX in my Bersa 45ACP. From the test and reviews believe it will do the job.

Last edited:

Ospy

I used to carry my Sig Sauer P220 for years. In the recent years I have been carrying a FNH FiveseveN. I buy very expensive ammunition for carrying. Elite Ammunitions 28 grain copper trident PFP (Pre fragmented Projectile) These will fragment into four pieces with impact of soft tissue.

wolfgangmob

I have Federal 9mm 115gr JHP +P+ 9BPLE and Remington Golden Saber 9mm 124gr +P, I tried to sell the federal but never got a good offer so I carry it, figure at 1300+ fps it's bound to expand.