• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What type of ammo do you carry and why

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I didn't like any of the answers to this, so I thought I'd add my own....

Deepdiver admitted he should not have phrased that they add "nothing." That was good enough for me. I agree that you suffer a lot of extra blast for relatively little gain, and it will also vary with cartridge.

I think the Remington Golden Sabre .357 Magnum loads were among the first that I saw labeled "Medium Velocity" as they were using a faster powder designed for shorter barrels. I carried them in my 3" S&W M19-7 Performance Center K-Comp at the time, but I didn't do any testing. This was back in the mid-90s. I no longer carry nor recommend compensated pistols for defense, however.

Now my magnum reloads for my current BUG (a S&W M340PD AirLite .357 Magnum) use an appropriate charge of Bullseye powder to get as much as I can out of the 1-7/8" barrel.

Last edited:

CheerfulHoplite

What are the chances the gun and mag you have on you is still loaded with cheap range ammo? Interesting discussion, though.

For me? Exactly zero, since the last thing I do before walking away from the lane is drop in 6 fresh Hornady Critical Defense in .38 special +P rounds, then button it into its holster. As for why I carry that ammo, I like what I've seen of its performance in testing/demo videos, and it shoots well for me. For range work - <shrug> Whatever's cheap/on hand - Wheelguns usually ain't too picky :)

Verd

Campaign Veteran
2 15rd mags full of normal FMJ and 1 15rd mag filled at 10 rounds (shot the other 5 to test the firing, haven't replaced yet) with hollow point. DOn't recall the manufacturer/company but might be Hornaday or similar.

Personally, I doubt that I will have the presence of mind to only shoot three bullets (two to the chest and one to the head) when confronted with a life/death situation and in that regard, will probably empty most of the mag if not all. In that regard, I seriously doubt the type of ammo I am using will make any significant difference at the speed of which my 9mm shoots.

John Hardin

"10 millimeter explosive tip caseless. Standard light armor piercing round, why?"

(I can't believe nobody has already said that in the last week...)

Seriously...

.45 ACP 200gr GDHP +P. Gold Dot because it performs well (and LEO use it), and 200gr +P .45 gives (I feel) a good balance between a slow, big bullet (230gr standard .45) and a small, fast bullet (9mm). I can also reload 200gr Rainier HP for practice.

GONZO!!!

I carry a .45 5"1911...for me it's 230gr. JHP...they feed really well in my 1911 and perform well.

Used to carry Glaser Safety Slugs alternating with the JHP in the magazine back when i lived down south, but up here the winters are too heavy and jackets and coats COULD be a factor with the Glaser...so I stick with the 230gr JHP...

Every now and then I will buy a box of the 230gr JHP and do a cold barrel sight-in at the range with one full magazine. Jsut to be on the safe side and know how everything will perform (on paper anyway).

Anytime I change ammo, I do a cold barrel sight-in just to be sure.

GONZO!!!

J_Oliver

Anybody have any experiance with the winchester white box 9mm 147gr. JHP's? I've seen them at a pretty good price but dunno much about the quality/ballistics. I'm pretty sure my G19 would reliably feed/cycle it as it will eat damn near any ammo.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Anybody have any experiance with the winchester white box 9mm 147gr. JHP's? I've seen them at a pretty good price but dunno much about the quality/ballistics. I'm pretty sure my G19 would reliably feed/cycle it as it will eat damn near any ammo.

I occasionally carry my Sig P6. This is the ammo I carry in it. Feeds flawlessly and is very accurate to point-of-aim. You just reminded me that I need to grab a few more boxes next time I place an order!

J_Oliver

I occasionally carry my Sig P6. This is the ammo I carry in it. Feeds flawlessly and is very accurate to point-of-aim. You just reminded me that I need to grab a few more boxes next time I place an order!

Yeah, there was a 100ct. Box @ walmart for $30. So I think ill pick up a few and give em a shot. Thanks!

Superlite27

I carry a compact (3" barrel) STI 1911.

When dealing with ammo, there's a trade-off. Yes, heavier larger grain bullets penetrate deeper. However, the purpose of a hollow point is to expand. In order to expand, there is a velocity requirement in order for it to do so reliably. Heavier bullets are harder to move, therefore, don't possess as much velocity. While penetration is the desired factor, so much velocity is lost by running heavier bullets through a shorter barrel that they lose reliable expansion in a 3", therefore, the entire purpose of hollow points is negated.

After performing my own tests, which I strongly encourage everyone who takes self-defense seriously should do FOR THEMSELVES, I made a rational, evidence based (for MY purposes) decision. Every individual should evaluate their own "set up" such as carry method, type of firearm, and desired performance that THEY want, and make the decision of what equipment they choose for their own purposes.

Reasoning that reliability is my goal, (you can't do diddly if your s#!t doesn't work in the first place) I have chosen to carry the following, for the following reasons:

I keep a 200 gr. Hornady +P hollow point in the chamber.--- It has pretty high velocity out of my 3", but the flat nose of the hollow point profile isn't as reliable as a round nose out of a 1911. But, it's in the chamber.already, therefore, I don't have to worry about feed problems. It's already there.

The rest of the magazine is filled with 165 gr. Cor-Bon +P Pow-R-Balls.---The polymer tips replicate the roundnose profile of FMJ's keeping their reliability out of a 1911, and POW! They still hit around 1200 fps out of my 3"!

As for the ludicrous argument that I chose hollow points, therefore, intended to kill someone would get eaten alive for the stupid argument that it is by my attorney. I would simply revert the argument back onto any prosecutor by requiring him to prove that my intention was to tickle, caress, or any other non-lethal outcome if I had used any other type of projectile in my licensed lethal weapon. I would require him to prove that ANY OTHER type of ammo fired out of my lethal firearm would achieve the same outcome, ending a lethal threat, without being lethal.

Marco

knowing as I do that all handguns are underpowered anyway.
velocity 001.jpg
since when is a .358 dia bullet @ 2100+fps under powered:confused:

Not all handguns are created equal.
Yup, some of us get more than one round to work with.:cool:

Coonan_Zombie_Ad.jpg

My chrono doesn't have a printer.......

Last edited:

michaelm_ski

Speer GOLD DOT

I carry the speer gold dot ammo 155 grain jacketed hollow point , I carry three clips fully loaded with 15 rounds per clip . I was advised by a lawyer that it is a REALLY BAD IDEA to carry or use hand loads for home defense and self protection , it is best to see what your local or state police say is best to use for protection in home and out in public .

Dr Phil

Does anyone have experience with Winchester "Personal Protection" JHP? I bought a box to use in my new G26 for carry, as that was the only brand of JHP ammo available at the Walmart I was at. I figured they were better than regular FMJ's for now. I carry Federal Hydroshok in my 1911. Is it worth changing out to Hydroshok in my Glock as well?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone have experience with Winchester "Personal Protection" JHP? I bought a box to use in my new G26 for carry, as that was the only brand of JHP ammo available at the Walmart I was at. I figured they were better than regular FMJ's for now. I carry Federal Hydroshok in my 1911. Is it worth changing out to Hydroshok in my Glock as well?

This is the same Winchester White Box ammo we talked about a few posts up. I forgot it says "Personal Protection" on the box, but just double-checked. This is what is currently loaded in my Sig P6. I have two extra full magazines for it with the same ammo, but rarely carry them (just leave them in the truck.)