• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doomsday Preppers

Comm

Guys,
I know there is a forum on another site, but I wanted to get the feel for what us Good Ole KY boys would do in the event of a natural disaster.

Most of us have been stocking up on ammo, and some of us have been stocking up on food and water, which is a good thing to have, but I've been thinking, (which can be a bad thing at times) at what the Government would do if a natural disaster hits..

Scenario:
The Madrid fault line cause a massive 8-9 magnitude earthquake, and knocks out power, water, gas over most of KY. Most of our homes are damaged, but some survived, enough so that we can stay there with our supplies. The Walmarts, Krogers, and all food places get raided for whatever food is there.. Government calls for Martial Law, and the whole area is locked down. Now few of us who have prepared, fire up the generators, and lock and load to protect our families, and supplies from others who are looking for a easy and quick supplies.
BUT, while we are safe in our homes, and trying to find out how the State is going to cope with the disaster, the Army or National Guard rolls into your neighborhood, and starts at each house, confiscating all weapons, ammo, and food and arresting you and your family, and labeling you as a terrorist. (You remember the law the Obama signed right).
So, my fellow gun toting people... what would you do? I know there are many scenarios, and getting the heck out of dodge would be a good bet, but I'm trying to get a feel for what you would do in this case, or if you think the Government would actually take everything you have struggled hard to provide for for you and your family?

rscottie

Unfortunately it seems that telling others what one has done to prepare for crisis is enough to get you raided. I am referring to the man on the TV show that has been raided after showing his supplies.

The old saying, "Loose lips sink ships" applies here.

Manzanita

Although we're never as prepared as I'd like to be, the road we live on dead-ends at a "large man-made reservoir in western KY" and my neighbor and I have often discussed scenarios like this over glasses of Seagrams. We do live in a pretty defensible area as far as individuals or even small roving gangs are concerned.

I'd like to think that if the national guard or army started what you describe, they would eventually find that a very costly operation for both sides. At that point I guess it would be time to decide whether to die a free man or live otherwise.

DrakeZ07

Although we're never as prepared as I'd like to be, the road we live on dead-ends at a "large man-made reservoir in western KY" and my neighbor and I have often discussed scenarios like this over glasses of Seagrams. We do live in a pretty defensible area as far as individuals or even small roving gangs are concerned.

I'd like to think that if the national guard or army started what you describe, they would eventually find that a very costly operation for both sides. At that point I guess it would be time to decide whether to die a free man or live otherwise.

So you live near KY Lake, or on LBL? :p

See http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/104.pdf ...
=KRS 237.104;
(1) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, have the right to revoke, suspend, limit the use of, or otherwise impair the validity of the right of any person to purchase, transfer, loan, own, possess, carry, or use a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.
(2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person.
(3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the taking of an item specified in subsection (1) or (2) of this section from a person who is:
(a) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040;
(b) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to federal law;
(c) Violating KRS 527.020;
(d) In possession of a stolen firearm;
(e) Using a firearm in the commission of a separate criminal offense; or
(f) Using a firearm or other weapon in the commission of an offense under KRS Chapter 150.

I personally, have a good supply of MRE's, ammo, firearms, and stuff; hidden inside and outside my home. My BF is a Marine vet, and I'm an EMT. I have plenty of Medical/BLS supplies, so we can offer help to our neighbors, and perhaps a good gesture would make for a closer community who can watch out for each other.

Besides, Combined with the Castle Doctrine, Right to Stand your ground, this provision, and others... Well, I'm sure everyone else knows what I'm getting at, and knows full well they'd have state law on their side if they needed to 'defend' their homes, person, and families, right?

Extended Cites for the KRS references as listed above in KRS 237.104; 527.020; http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/527-00/020.pdf - krs 39A; http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/039a00/chapter.htm - KRS Chapter 150 "Fish and Wild Life/Conservation"; http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/150-00/CHAPTER.HTM

Last edited:

09jisaac

Maybe. Heh.

Don't have any illusions that quoting Kentucky Revised Statutes to military units in a martial law situation is going to have any effect. If it's gone that far, it's pretty much beyond paper.

You're right. But if you do survive a confrontation with the military (I am assuming you won't just give up your arms) then you can use this as a defense on why you did what you did. Assuming you're tried in a civilian court, of course.

DrakeZ07

You're right. But if you do survive a confrontation with the military (I am assuming you won't just give up your arms) then you can use this as a defense on why you did what you did. Assuming you're tried in a civilian court, of course.

Isaac's right.

What I meant by my post, is that if the military or government came to your place, during a disaster, and its not with a legal warrant because you committed a felony or DV... Atleast from how I understand it, I could be wrong, but, you would have state law on your side to defend yourself, your home, family, and possessions from unwarranted illegal government/military intrusiveness. Yes, citing state law to the military won't get you anywhere, but in this instance, the law is to protect you after you stood your ground. Though it shouldn't ever have to come to that point, because we know that every member of the military within KY, the NG, and Federal/State LEO's know full well of our state laws designed to protect us. :p

Comm

Isaac's right.

What I meant by my post, is that if the military or government came to your place, during a disaster, and its not with a legal warrant because you committed a felony or DV... Atleast from how I understand it, I could be wrong, but, you would have state law on your side to defend yourself, your home, family, and possessions from unwarranted illegal government/military intrusiveness. Yes, citing state law to the military won't get you anywhere, but in this instance, the law is to protect you after you stood your ground. Though it shouldn't ever have to come to that point, because we know that every member of the military within KY, the NG, and Federal/State LEO's know full well of our state laws designed to protect us. :p

I understand the State law.... but if you remember.. I said Martial Law.. and if I'm not mistaken, would override State law. I not sure ANY of us would survive an encounter with the National Guard with everything at their disposal if it cam down to us holding our ground.
Guys, I'm giving a worse case scenario here, and IF we got to a trial, which could translate to all of us being a terrorist, there would be little for us to do.

Typically, the imposition of martial law accompanies curfews, the suspension of civil law, civil rights, habeas corpus, and the application or extension of military law or military justice to civilians. Civilians defying martial law may be subjected to military tribunal (court-martial).

Last edited:

garyh9900

Isaac's right.

Kentucky law does not give you the right to use deadly physical force against a police officer. Your recourse for having your rights violated is through civil action, not use of force.

garyh9900

While it wasn't for any doomsday preparation, I myself have a nice spread of land in a sparsely populated county not to far from me. It has deer, turkey, fish, and elk. It's way off the beaten path. I have it wired and plumbed, but its not connected, as utilities aren't close enough for a free hookup, and I'm not going to pay for it with the little use it gets. But I guess if stuff really got bad, I could load up my family and survive there.

09jisaac

Kentucky law does not give you the right to use deadly physical force against a police officer. Your recourse for having your rights violated is through civil action, not use of force.

I believe that if you survive long enough to be tried in a civil court then it WOULD give you the right to use deadly physical force against someone illegally taking your firearms. Whether that is by a civilian or government agent.

KRS 237.104 Clearly says that the government can't take our weapons, making it robbery if they do.
KRS 503 says that deadly physical force is justified if you are stopping a felony, including armed robbery
KRS 515.020 Says that it is a felony robbery if they are armed with a weapon and I doubt they will come to take your guns without some of their own.

So, if you can survive the initial fight, retreat to some secluded place and survive long enough to be charged in a civilian court then you have a chance.
If you die, or are tried in a military court then you're screwed.

DrakeZ07

I understand the State law.... but if you remember.. I said Martial Law.. and if I'm not mistaken, would override State law. I not sure ANY of us would survive an encounter with the National Guard with everything at their disposal if it cam down to us holding our ground.
Guys, I'm giving a worse case scenario here, and IF we got to a trial, which could translate to all of us being a terrorist, there would be little for us to do.

Typically, the imposition of martial law accompanies curfews, the suspension of civil law, civil rights, habeas corpus, and the application or extension of military law or military justice to civilians. Civilians defying martial law may be subjected to military tribunal (court-martial).

So, Martial law is declared. Civil law, civil rights, Habeas Corpus, all are suspended. So in a sense, the Constitution is suspended under 'martial law'.

If Civil Law, rights, and in general the Constitution is suspended under martial law, then that means civilian government is suspended too, which means civilian law enforcement is suspended. With the martial law in place, trampling of State law isn't the only thing wrong here.

Way I see it, if my rights, and protection under civil law (constitution (KY or US)), are suspended, what's going to keep myself, my boyfriend, or any other civil law abiding person from making small groups to strike against the military through gorilla warfare, and sabotage?

Isaac; I'd rather die fighting a military using martial law to oppress people, than to be court martial-ed, OR sit at home worrying about myself and my BF only.

Last edited:

Comm

I believe that if you survive long enough to be tried in a civil court then it WOULD give you the right to use deadly physical force against someone illegally taking your firearms. Whether that is by a civilian or government agent.

KRS 237.104 Clearly says that the government can't take our weapons, making it robbery if they do.
KRS 503 says that deadly physical force is justified if you are stopping a felony, including armed robbery
KRS 515.020 Says that it is a felony robbery if they are armed with a weapon and I doubt they will come to take your guns without some of their own.

So, if you can survive the initial fight, retreat to some secluded place and survive long enough to be charged in a civilian court then you have a chance.

Sooo, who do you think they are going to believe? You or the Military guy who beat you up? I just feel like there is no winning battle here. I don't intend to just give up, but what choice do we have against the Military?

09jisaac

Sooo, who do you think they are going to believe? You or the Military guy who beat you up? I just feel like there is no winning battle here. I don't intend to just give up, but what choice do we have against the Military?

Yea. Right. Of course the army/national guard/whoever is only going to knock on your door and take your guns. No one else's. No one that might serve on the jury. The people who decide if you're guilty of murder/attempted murder for shooting three and killing two soldiers, in uniform.

It don't really matter what they believe happened to you if they know what happened to them.

You don't have much of a chance against the military as a whole. 4 wouldn't be too bad if you have the drop on them, they don't know that you're going to open fire but you know that they're there to take your firearms. The only thing I would have a problem with is killing someone who is just following orders because he has even less amount of choices than what I have.

garyh9900

503.055 2(d) clearly says you can't use force against a peace officer if they clearly identified themselves or the person using force knew, or reasonably should have known. Make no mistake you shoot a police officer, in almost every scenario, your going to prison. The only time you wouldn't is if they were unlawfully attempting to use deadly physical force against you, even then, your that going to be for a jury to decide, and for the most part, juries believe police officers often than not.

09jisaac

503.055 2(d) clearly says you can't use force against a peace officer if they clearly identified themselves or the person using force knew, or reasonably should have known. Make no mistake you shoot a police officer, in almost every scenario, your going to prison. The only time you wouldn't is if they were unlawfully attempting to use deadly physical force against you, even then, your that going to be for a jury to decide, and for the most part, juries believe police officers often than not.

It says OFFICIAL DUTIES in that too. Just because they're peace officers doesn't give them the right to do everything. I can't find their official duties (I didn't look), but I am sure that our legislators put in there that their "official duties" isn't to go against the statues, even on a order.

But all of that aside, what does that have anything to do with this? Peace officers' definition is in that same sentence (446.010). It doesn't say that the military is part of "peace officer" and they don't have "similar authority to make arrest" if you're going to argue that.

Juries may believe police officers, but I HIGHLY DOUBT that they're going to believe that someone in the military was just knocking on your door for donations and you shot them. The news of them confiscating guns will be far and wide. And probably with 1st hand experience of it.

Last edited:

Manzanita

Some random thoughts.

I've re-read the OP and it just occurred to me that he's referring to a fairly localized event; a major New Madrid fault shift. I don't think in this scenario that martial law would or could be declared in even the most extreme of circumstances.

I was kind of assuming a more nationwide, or even global event. Hell, we already had our "Katrina" when the ice storm of 2009 hit. At that time, even Murray, KY, was a scene of anarchy and out here in the sticks we just carried on like not much was happening... except the power was out. It was an inconvenience for those on my road but not nearly as big a deal as in the towns. After venturing into Murray with my daughter right when it all started to get a battery powered television I had in my office at work and experiencing the complete anarchy that was in town, we saw what our Dear Leader would call a teaching moment. The local Kroger tried to open for business for a short while, despite being without power, and was overrun with people. We saw the entire parking lot full with traffic spilling well out into the nearby streets. I knew right then it was by the grace of God I lived out in the sticks. I swear one neighbor had way too much fun during the whole thing. The next time we went for supplies a week later we drove down to Paris, Tennessee and still ran into people from Kentucky.

The New Madrid fault line is nothing compared to what a global or even national crisis would entail. There, we would see true martial law.

That said, my grandmother told me before she died that she always used to tell people, "Michael will do anything for you; just don't try to make him do it."

I have no delusions of strapping on a colander and being some big post-apocalyptic Humongous. With a little help from my neighbors, I'm just going to defend my 20 acres, my neighbor's 30, another neighbor's 30, another neighbor's 40, another neighbors whatever, and maybe the several hundred TVA acres of public wilderness land that is directly (and not just across the lake) adjacent to all of us.

As far as guerrilla warfare is concerned, it's been a very long time since I've loaded up and humped a forced march but that doesn't mean I can't use my resources to support those of us who can. Us old vets can equip and train some young blood in a pinch, provided we live to do it.

neuroblades

OK, I'll toss my 2 cents into the pot, for what it's worth. *LOL* Some years ago, when I worked with the local rescue squad, I had full access to the DES/FEMA plans for the New Madrid event, meaning when SHTF in reference to it coming full force. The plans stated that they forecasted that New Madrid would possibly go full tilt with 20 to 25 years, that was about 20+ years ago! They forecast that the devastation would spread from the western most part of Kentucky to thje eastern most part. The western most cities would be completely laid to waste! As for those in the eastern part of the Commonwealth, we'd have minor tremors and some breakage of items. According to what they reported, the central part of Kentucky would have major damage and see buildings falter and tumble to the ground. The plans states that units from the eastern side would be quickly mobilized heading west into the devastation and utilized as need along the way. Of course, NG units would be mobilized alongside rescue units to help aid in getting them through the muck and mire of what may lie ahead.

I know from first hand experience that the Ky NG were deployed and attached on temp. basis to our squad during that huge snowstorm we had in '92, I think it was and then once again during that nasty ice storm we had in '09. We had access to 2 humvee's and their drivers throughout these events.

In the event that New Madrid off, rescue and other units would be mobilized and start moving in rolling waves across the Commonwealth once their respective areas were cleared. Unfortunately, the plan detailed the fact that as you moved west from the central part of the Commonwealth, the number of mobile units would begin to decrease due to there being more devastation and death. the rescue units and other professional service units in the west would chances are be.... nullified for the most part.

There was also a SHTF disaster plan for the Ky. NG but I was not privy to theirs but it was no doubt encompassed with DHS & FEMA plans. For those detail readers among us, I know that DHS didn not exist when this plan was originally written up but as we all know now, DHS has taken the lead in everything that FEMA does, thereby leading to the revision.

My closing thoughts: Personally, if something like this or any other natural disaster were to occur, I DO NOT foresee LE or NG coming in and "taking our weapons", perse! If it were a civil uprising or something darker, then, perhaps they might dare to attenpt that. That beautiiful revision to the KRS that states that weapons WILL NOT be taken from the citizens was added in after the outrageous and illegal behaviour of LE and NG units in and around New Orleans after the Hurricane hit. Our great Commonwealth is fully aware that if some kind of natural disaster were to occur, the citizens need and will have the Right to help defend their homesteads, families and property from those that might dare to do harm or worse to them.

Comm

OK, I'll toss my 2 cents into the pot, for what it's worth. *LOL* Some years ago, when I worked with the local rescue squad, I had full access to the DES/FEMA plans for the New Madrid event, meaning when SHTF in reference to it coming full force. The plans stated that they forecasted that New Madrid would possibly go full tilt with 20 to 25 years, that was about 20+ years ago! They forecast that the devastation would spread from the western most part of Kentucky to thje eastern most part. The western most cities would be completely laid to waste! As for those in the eastern part of the Commonwealth, we'd have minor tremors and some breakage of items. According to what they reported, the central part of Kentucky would have major damage and see buildings falter and tumble to the ground. The plans states that units from the eastern side would be quickly mobilized heading west into the devastation and utilized as need along the way. Of course, NG units would be mobilized alongside rescue units to help aid in getting them through the muck and mire of what may lie ahead.

I know from first hand experience that the Ky NG were deployed and attached on temp. basis to our squad during that huge snowstorm we had in '92, I think it was and then once again during that nasty ice storm we had in '09. We had access to 2 humvee's and their drivers throughout these events.

In the event that New Madrid off, rescue and other units would be mobilized and start moving in rolling waves across the Commonwealth once their respective areas were cleared. Unfortunately, the plan detailed the fact that as you moved west from the central part of the Commonwealth, the number of mobile units would begin to decrease due to there being more devastation and death. the rescue units and other professional service units in the west would chances are be.... nullified for the most part.

There was also a SHTF disaster plan for the Ky. NG but I was not privy to theirs but it was no doubt encompassed with DHS & FEMA plans. For those detail readers among us, I know that DHS didn not exist when this plan was originally written up but as we all know now, DHS has taken the lead in everything that FEMA does, thereby leading to the revision.

My closing thoughts: Personally, if something like this or any other natural disaster were to occur, I DO NOT foresee LE or NG coming in and "taking our weapons", perse! If it were a civil uprising or something darker, then, perhaps they might dare to attenpt that. That beautiiful revision to the KRS that states that weapons WILL NOT be taken from the citizens was added in after the outrageous and illegal behaviour of LE and NG units in and around New Orleans after the Hurricane hit. Our great Commonwealth is fully aware that if some kind of natural disaster were to occur, the citizens need and will have the Right to help defend their homesteads, families and property from those that might dare to do harm or worse to them.

Great job! You just about answered all my questions except one...... you didn't mention about martial law being enacted. The way I understand it, if the government of Ky is not in control, then the military steps in and the leading commander takes over until the government can be setup.

I understand the part about the citizens will keep their guns, but it scares the heck out of me when I hear about what happened in New Orleans when the LE and NG took over there... they took ALL the weapons.

I appreciate all the feedback guys... I really do, guess I am one of those worry warts, and until it actually happens cannot quite understand what will really happen.

neuroblades

Great job! You just about answered all my questions except one...... you didn't mention about martial law being enacted. The way I understand it, if the government of Ky is not in control, then the military steps in and the leading commander takes over until the government can be setup.

I understand the part about the citizens will keep their guns, but it scares the heck out of me when I hear about what happened in New Orleans when the LE and NG took over there... they took ALL the weapons.

I appreciate all the feedback guys... I really do, guess I am one of those worry warts, and until it actually happens cannot quite understand what will really happen.

Well, worrying can be a good thing at times and depending upon what it is that you're worrying about. One of my personal mottos is: "Plan for the worst, hope for the best"! Generally everything pans out in the end, for the most part.

As for martial law, there was NO mention of it in the plans. There really wouldn't be any need in martial law being that the Commonwealth would still be in control, though their buildings might be is semi-disrepair after the fact. Keep in mind that this plan was part of the overall Kentucky government's plan of action for when/if New Madrid goes off. The NG would play a massive role in controling areas IF looting or rioting were to take place, if that's the case then they'll be pulling heavy duty in the western side. I personally don't forsee looting or rioting taking place though in an event such as this. I would actually come closer to seeing a situation arise when/if a NG unit, trying to verify that the residents are safe and secure, ends up getting shot or shot at by some paranoid S.O.B. that believes every single conspiracy theory that comes down the pike. If is for this very reason that when /if we EVER happen to have a situation like this arise, it is paramount that WE, as gun owners, keep our heads about us and be more situationally aware than we've ever been. After all, they may be coming to our doors to see if we're all safe and secure or they may be coming to attempt to "secure" us and our weapons!