• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nice Op-Ed piece in the Free Lance Star

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
If it makes you feel any better, streetdoc, this sentence is all FUBAR, "Anyone knows the extreme regulations placed upon fully automatic weapons and would be embarrassed to display such ignorance as Mr. Pitts has done."

Obviously supposed to be: Anyone who knows the extreme regulations placed upon fully automatic weapons... would be embarrassed to display such ignorance as Mr. Pitts has done.

nuc65

Activist Member
If it makes you feel any better, streetdoc, this sentence is all FUBAR, "Anyone knows the extreme regulations placed upon fully automatic weapons and would be embarrassed to display such ignorance as Mr. Pitts has done."

Obviously supposed to be: Anyone who knows the extreme regulations placed upon fully automatic weapons... would be embarrassed to display such ignorance as Mr. Pitts has done.

No, the 'who' changes the structure of the sentence such that the context would be incorrect. the author uses "Anyone knows" to denote knowledge and perspective (hey, ya'll are on my side") and adding the "who" to the sentence then individualizes and removes many readers (who probably don't know) from the perspective of the writer. The writer uses a correct literary device in this case.

2a4all

There was a nicely worded Op-Ed piece in the Free Lance Star printed today Feb 15, 2012. I wish I could write this good.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2012/022012/02152012/682366

Actually, it should be "write this well".... :)
IMHO, I think it should be "write as well...", as in "I wish I could write as well as he writes...", since this a relative comparison of two attributes to each other, as opposed to a comparison of one attribute to an absolute standard.

But this is a bit OT...

Last edited: