• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 Years Old, no CCW; How to carry?

Boba Fett

I've been hearing a lot about what I can't do, but not much about what I should do. That's what I want. I need 3 things. A handgun; ammunition; and a method of vehicle storage/carry. How should I go about procuring the first two items legally, and what do I need to do for the third? Thanks!

Shooter64738

I've been hearing a lot about what I can't do, but not much about what I should do. That's what I want. I need 3 things. A handgun;
Purchase it from an individual who is a resident of your state.

ammunition;
Also purchased from an individual

and a method of vehicle storage/carry.
Store it unloaded in your vehicle. If the weapons is 'not immediatley capable of lethal use' you may store the handgun in the vehicle in any fashion you wish.

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

571.030.3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible.

You have 7 choices:
1)Keep the firearm in the vehicle, in any fashion you desire, but keep the ammunition separate (ammunition not accessible) (Also be mindful open open carry/open display laws).
2)Keep the firearm in a nonfunctioning state when ammunition present. (field stripped/ broken down, etc..)
3)Keep the firearm in a functioning state, but outside the passenger compartment (not readily accessible)
4)Obtain a CCW permit from the state of Maine.
5)Wait until you are 21 and obtain a Missouri permit
6)Push for state OC preemption and get it down to 18.
7)Be mindful of the jurisdiction you are in, and open carry/display.

Keep a copy of RSMo 571.080 and 18 USC 922(x) just in case you are questioned by a peace officer.

Transfer of concealable firearms.
571.080. A person commits the crime of transfer of a concealable firearm if such person violates 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b) or 18 U.S.C. Section 922(x).

18 USC 922(x)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or
otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has
reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile -
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun
18 USC 922(x)(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a
person who is less than 18 years of age

Last edited:

Freedom 1st

Purchase it from an individual who is a resident of your state.

Also purchased from an individual

Store it unloaded in your vehicle. If the weapons is 'not immediatley capable of lethal use' you may store the handgun in the vehicle in any fashion you wish.

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

571.030.3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible.

6)Push for state OC preemption and get it down to 18.

Just for clarification:
Are you saying he has to be older than 18 now, to OC? Or, am I reading too much into 6)

Shooter64738

Just for clarification:
Are you saying he has to be older than 18 now, to OC? Or, am I reading too much into 6)

Negative. We currently do not have state preemption to open carry.

He wouldn't have this problem with vehicle carry if the statutes allowed the carry of a concealable firearm in the car at 18. Likewise if/when OC preemption is finally achieved, it should NOT have a similar restriction of only allowing the exercise of that right to those 21 or older. It should be the right of any adult, from age 18 on.

Which is why I also included option 7, and the relevant laws for those 18 or older to carry a firearm in this state.

Last edited:

Freedom 1st

Negative. We currently do not have state preemption to open carry.

He wouldn't have this problem with vehicle carry if the statutes allowed the carry of a concealable firearm in the car at 18. Likewise if/when OC preemption is finally achieved, it should NOT have a similar restriction of only allowing the exercise of that right to those 21 or older. It should be the right of any adult, from age 18 on.

Which is why I also included option 7, and the relevant laws for those 18 or older to carry a firearm in this state.

OK, appreciate the response. I read more into it than was implied. My bad.

Boba Fett

Well even if I got a CCW I would OC.

So it is legal for me to say, take off a Glock's slide and stick it in the glove box, the magazine and ammo in the console, and the frame in a safe? lol

Thanks for all the info!