• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC

Dizzy

Hey Everybody.

Firstly, I'd like to thank you guys for all the information I have already gathered from this site. It has helped a lot!

I got my Smith and Wesson Sigma .40 for Christmas and finally feel like I have enough knowledge of the gun to begin carrying daily. I do not have a CCW, nor do I plan to obtain one, as I'm moving to PA within the next few months. So, obviously, I'll be an open carrier.

My main concern is what, exactly, do I need to do, to abide by law when I enter my vehicle. Is simply taking my gun out of the holster and placing it on my passenger seat acceptable? I would hate to have to pop the trunk, open a case, drop the magazine, and empty my chamber every time I get in my car. But, would MUCH rather do that, then to be carrying illegally.

Thanks in advance for the replies I'll receive. I'm sure I'll have tons of other questions..and I know this site, and it's members have got all the answers for me!

Moodock

Hello there, and nice to see someone fairly close to me on here!

As for your question, make sure it is in plain open sight and no way can be construed as concealed. For this reason I would not have it in a hip holster as it may not be visible to an officer who approaches you from the driver side window. Also, be prepared for uninformed officers to give you grief. Most won't, but I know of a couple in the Elkins area that might.

eamelhorn

You must remember, that in WV, game laws can get ya by the Wildlife Police as they are now called. The only reason Im getting my CC is for when im on the road here in our state. A Putnam county LEO was confriming this with my boy and his friend this week, he said you can OC in WV and encouraged it, ( I know he was in shock to) but said, watch the game laws, a jerk cop can hold you untill the wildlife police gets there if your weapon would happen to be legal for hunting, like a 4in barrel, which is the shortest length to hunt with, then you get into a whole different ball game READ THE WV GAME LAWS on having a loaded gun in a car.

Dizzy

Thank you for the replies, guys!

I took a look at the games laws, and if I take them into consideration, it seems I would have to unload my gun when entering the vehicle.

'It is illegal to' (3rd one down)

have a crossbow with a nocked bolt, a loaded firearm or a
firearm with an attached magazine from which all shells
have not been removed in or on any vehicle or conveyance
(including ATVs) or its attachments. You can have a loaded clip
or magazine in the vehicle as long as it is not in or attached to
the firearm. Exception for concealed weapons permit holders
(see page 5).

http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs1112/General_regs.pdf

Can anyone specify on this for me?

eamelhorn

Look up "ask the conservation officer" there is some questions that have been asked about open carry in the woods while fishing ect, they are also questions on Conceal and in a car, the moderator a wildlife police officer has answed. they can give you some good insight to these laws.