• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I laminate my Virginia CHP?

Dr Phil

I know this is a forum mainly for open carry, but I know plenty of us here also have concealed permits. For anyone who hasn't seen a Virginia permit in person, it's literally printed on paper. The size of a business card, and pretty much the same material. Judging by the condition of business cards currently in my wallet, I'm doubting the permit will make it 5 years.

Does any one else have theirs laminated, whether it be VA or another state? Is there somewhere I can find out for sure that it doesn't void/invalidate the permit (a la social security card)? Thanks for the help.

OC for ME

Being in Missouri, we have a stated issued permit, ID with CCW in red letters above the photo. Call the folks that issued the permit and ask them. If the answer is no, then get one those plastic ID card holders. If the answer is yes, pay a few extra bucks and have it laminated at Kinkos or Office Max/Depot.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Yes, but make sure you sign it first. The permit is not valid without your signature. If you laminate it before you sign it, you will need to obtain a duplicate permit and then sign it.

Dreamer

I can't speak to VA's permits, but I laminated my NC and my PA permits--both of which are printed on paper. I contacted the issuing agency in both states and asked if lamination was acceptable, and they both said "yes".

Every sample that they have on USACARRY.COM appears to be laminates, just FYI...

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed-carry-permit-examples.html

Perhaps you should contact the VSP and ask them if you can laminate your VA PCCH?

sawah

Yes, but make sure you sign it first. The permit is not valid without your signature. If you laminate it before you sign it, you will need to obtain a duplicate permit and then sign it.

Not disputing you but I seriously doubt a LEO is going to hand you back your laminated unsigned permit and tell you it's not valid. I did sign mine. I'd think the clerk's signature would be the important part. I believe the had me sign mine when I picked it up. If you forgot, just sign it over the laminate and re-laminate it.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I laminated mine. Took it to Staples. They have heavy-duty laminates specifically designed for business card sized items. It took two minutes and cost about $2. I did it when I got my permit in 2007, it's about to expire but it's still in great shape.

sawah

I have no idea why, logically, they require you to carry the permit. We're in the database, if a LEO stops a non-holder, he's gonna know it if there's RAS. If there's no RAS, even if you flash reveal or OC, you are not supposed to be stopped. If you're running down an alley at 2am, that's probably RAS, unless it's in out in the middle of nowhere and you're wearing jogging gear.

It's not like a driver's license where you need to be ID'd to be ticketed.

I don't see where checking a permit or running reg number has ever benefited anyone, except to harass the permittee.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Chesterfield County's Clerk of the Circuit Court notifies you via the cover letter with your CHP to 1) sign the thing and 2) that many local office supply stores will laminate it for a small fee.

I take that as the next best thing to some judge ruling you not guilty of defacing a CHP by laminating it.

stay safe.

Gunslinger

I know this is a forum mainly for open carry, but I know plenty of us here also have concealed permits. For anyone who hasn't seen a Virginia permit in person, it's literally printed on paper. The size of a business card, and pretty much the same material. Judging by the condition of business cards currently in my wallet, I'm doubting the permit will make it 5 years.

Does any one else have theirs laminated, whether it be VA or another state? Is there somewhere I can find out for sure that it doesn't void/invalidate the permit (a la social security card)? Thanks for the help.

When I got my VA CCW, the Superior Court clerk recommended I do just that and told me the best place to go. Most states now use plastic cards anyway. VA should too.

Dr Phil

Good to know. I wasn't sure how they expected you to keep this thing intact for 5 years...I'll be getting it laminated ASAP.

Dreamer

When I got my VA CCW, the Superior Court clerk recommended I do just that and told me the best place to go. Most states now use plastic cards anyway. VA should too.

That must have been expensive. Seeing as how "CCW" is a crime in VA (not a permit or license--in VA it's called a Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun), the only thing to laminate if you "got a VA CCW" would be the criminal complaint filed against you by a DA. And seeing as how most criminal complaints are in excess of 10 pages, that would be a HEFTY laminating bill--not to mention very bulky to carry around in your wallet.

Just sayin'...

Gunslinger

That must have been expensive. Seeing as how "CCW" is a crime in VA (not a permit or license--in VA it's called a Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun), the only thing to laminate if you "got a VA CCW" would be the criminal complaint filed against you by a DA. And seeing as how most criminal complaints are in excess of 10 pages, that would be a HEFTY laminating bill--not to mention very bulky to carry around in your wallet.

Just sayin'...

CCW, "Concealed Carry Warrant," is a universally accepted generic, and common law legal term for a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It is also easier and faster than trying to use the exact term a particular state calls their permit. It is also understood as same by the vast majority of people on this forum. Those who don't may now consider themselves educated.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
CCW, "Concealed Carry Warrant," is a universally accepted generic, and common law legal term for a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It is also easier and faster than trying to use the exact term a particular state calls their permit. It is also understood as same by the vast majority of people on this forum. Those who don't may now consider themselves educated.

Have never heard of Concealed Carry Warrant before and nothing came up to match that on numerous searches. Don't think that alleged "common law legal term" is recognized or accepted here in VA.

To my knowledge the acronym CCW most often stands for concealed carry weapon, but such in is not entirely correct in Virginia either.

Prior to about 1995 when VA was a "may issue" state, we were issued a CWP (concealed weapon permit). When VA went "shall issue", the permit became a CHP (concealed handgun permit).

Ol' timers know the difference and understand the distinction - and we are trying constantly to teach people the correct nomenclature. :D

09jisaac

Have never heard of Concealed Carry Warrant before and nothing came up to match that on numerous searches. Don't think that alleged "common law legal term" is recognized or accepted here in VA.

To my knowledge the acronym CCW most often stands for concealed carry weapon, but such in is not entirely correct in Virginia either.

Prior to about 1995 when VA was a "may issue" state, we were issued a CWP (concealed weapon permit). When VA went "shall issue", the permit became a CHP (concealed handgun permit).

Ol' timers know the difference and understand the distinction - and we are trying constantly to teach people the correct nomenclature. :D

I understand the difference between things like a KY CCDW (conceal carry deadly weapon) and a CHP (concealed handgun permit). But what is the generic term for a permit to carry a concealed weapon/handgun? The CCW fits that even if it isn't exactly what the individual states use for their "correct" term.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I understand the difference between things like a KY CCDW (conceal carry deadly weapon) and a CHP (concealed handgun permit). But what is the generic term for a permit to carry a concealed weapon/handgun? The CCW fits that even if it isn't exactly what the individual states use for their "correct" term.

If I am not sure of the correct term or am talking about multiple states, I frequently insert "permit/license" into the text. That seems sufficently generic and doesn't upset those that prefer total accuracy.

09jisaac

Perhaps, but the post and the last two responses were about "Concealed Carry Warrant". If what you posted is correct what is the acronym for the crime of Carrying a Concealed Weapon? According to the FAQ on this board CCW means "Concealed Carry Weapon". See: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?64583-Acronyms/page2 , Post #5.
My guess is the most used generic acronym is CHP or CHL, although I, personally, don't use either due to lack of any standardization and possible misunderstand that is almost sure to follow. Now, back to my original assertion, I've never encountered the term "Concealed Carry Warrant", which Gunslinger claimed was "universally accepted".

Yea, I said that I thought that "CCW" meant "concealed carry weapon" (or something similar) and not the "conceal carry warrant" but I still took the meaning of gunslingers post to mean what he meant to say. Like grapeshot said there is no universally always correct way to say it. So I just try to infer the meaning, I know it isn't always the way I think it is, but I am usually close.