Thread: 2nd ID?

2nd ID?

Anyone use their CHP for a 2nd ID when requested?

I've used it for primary ID purposes.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I have once, no problems.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

My habit is to leave my driving license in my car (because that's when I need it; while driving) unless I know I'll need it for identification somewhere. And usually all my purchases are with an ATM card.
    So, yeah, one day I was asked for identification and whipped out my Georgia Weapons License.

All I got was a funny look.
    (And, no, that's not mine, but that's what one looks like until you renew in 2012 and get the 'fancy' one)

For me, it's not technically recognized by the State as an ID. In fact, when carrying concealed, I am required to carry my CCW permit AND my state ID (driver's license.)

However, I've been to places that needed ID and have used the CCW. They didn't question it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I'm certain it's accepted as a valid state issued ID, I was just curious about reactions people have gotten. I don't have much call for using it as a primary ID. I'll try that next time. Today I had to buy a bunch of traveler's checks. The teller asked me for a second ID because of the amount. Since my CHP is right behind my DL in my wallet, it was on top after I'd given her the DL. As I signed the checks, I asked, "Do you get many of those as 2nd IDs?" She said she'd gotten a couple, but usually people use credit cards or even vehicle registrations.

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    I'm certain it's accepted as a valid state issued ID,
    Um, except it's not a state ID. It's issued by the county sheriff's office, no?

Quote Originally Posted by bogidu View Post
    ^This. It's issued by county and not all look the same.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by bogidu View Post
    Lower case "s". Interesting point, though.

I used mine at the post office, when they required 2 ID's for verification of the right to have a po box. The attendant threw it back at me so fast it almost hit the floor. She accepted a credit card. Very funny cause anyone can get a credit card. I think she was afraid that my cc permit might go off.

Quote Originally Posted by x1wildone View Post
    I used mine at the post office, when they required 2 ID's for verification of the right to have a po box. The attendant threw it back at me so fast it almost hit the floor. She accepted a credit card. Very funny cause anyone can get a credit card. I think she was afraid that my cc permit might go off.
    Lol!

I used it once, just to see the clerk's reaction. She flipped it over once or twice then asked, "What's this?" "It's a picture ID. That's what you asked for, isn't it?" She handed it back and said, "Do you have a driver's license?" I said, "Why? Is a driver's license required to purchase a bottle of wine?" She said she needed to verify my birth date. I handed her back my CHP and pointed out where the date was located.

I've also handed people my private pilot's license...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

In Michigan, they are State issued picture IDs, with DOB. I so want to use it next time I fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    ^This. It's issued by county and not all look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    For me, it's not technically recognized by the State as an ID. In fact, when carrying concealed, I am required to carry my CCW permit AND my state ID (driver's license.)

However, I've been to places that needed ID and have used the CCW. They didn't question it.
    As an aside, it is only a civil infraction with a $25.00 fine if you choose to carry sterile. How rough that ride would be, I have no idea.

NRS202Sec3667
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-20-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

LCC in Ohio while issued by County, states that it is an Ohio License to Concealed Carry. Drivers License are also issued by the County but is an Ohio Drivers Licesne. I assume it is the same with all states (at least on Drivers License).

Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    LCC in Ohio while issued by County, states that it is an Ohio License to Concealed Carry. Drivers License are also issued by the County but is an Ohio Drivers Licesne. I assume it is the same with all states (at least on Drivers License).
    Unless Ohio is much different than NV, drivers licenses are issued by an office of the DMV, which is a State office. In other words, it is most likely that you do NOT need to get your DL in the county/city of residence, but can go to any of the State office locations.
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-20-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I don't know about the requirements for states granting reciprocity to Colorado CHP holders, but for CC in Colo, one only need carry the CHP, as it has its own picture ID.

Unless one is driving...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I don't know about the requirements for states granting reciprocity to Colorado CHP holders, but for CC in Colo, one only need carry the CHP, as it has its own picture ID.

Unless one is driving...
    In which case only a drivers license is needed. Not a CHL, unless you exit the vehicle while conceal carry.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12