• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - SB64 - Erosion of our liberties

willigun

Pay close attention to what the new proposed law says, "or any drug". Ever take an allergy pill or other legal meds that warn not to operate machinery?

customcreationllc

So what is changing just the stuff in []?

I always thought it was weird that driving was .08 and guns were .10 figure it was a left over when driving used to be .10
I figure someone would eventually see it and want to change it. Surprised it took this long.
At least CT you have some freedom, most states are zero.

I can understand why they wouldn't want 2 different sobriety test.

My biggest problem with % alcohol law is how do you know what your level is it is just a guess it is like having speed limits but no one has a speedometer.
You know when you are really speeding but you cannot tell when you are close.

I carry this blood alcohol chart in my wallet.
http://www.ctclearinghouse.org/topics/customer-files/Alcohol-Impairment-Chart-041205.pdf

But what is a regular beer.
And it doesn't say anywhere how fast your body processes the alcohol I remember hearing you body can process 1 drink per hour. Anyone know if that is correct.

I'm against taking away any of our gun rights but I can see this one being a tough battle, other than if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Slow reaction isn't going to cause an accident with a gun, it is not like driving where you always have to pay attention.

When driving any delay in reaction can kill a whole family or more.
With a gun you need to first intend to pull it before it can become dangerous and then at most an accident may kill 1 person.
There is a difference.

brk913

Pay close attention to what the new proposed law says, "or any drug". Ever take an allergy pill or other legal meds that warn not to operate machinery?
That's exactly what the current statute says now, no change there. Only change is the BAC level.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I can drink 100 beers .. it does not make me crazy and go out shooting up my town...I do that w/o drinking lol

And that chart 4 beers and I'm dui ? How is a guy supposed to have any fun :(

Rich B

SB 64 is not yet dead.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/PSdata/ca/2012CA-00315-R001100PS-CA.htm

It will be heard in the committee meeting today. Write the public safety committee and urge them to stop this bill.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/MemberList.asp?comm_code=PS

Two main issues:

- The BAC is being lowered for no reason. There is no good to come of this.
- The bill gives the SPBI 60 days to complete background checks for Eligibility Certificates. It is only a matter of time before this becomes the rule for pistol permits. Background checks should be instant or inside of the FBI-promised 48 hours. We should strive for instant.

Connecticut Carry's email (pdf):
http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/db525845-dad8-4a62-b285-5cac065d4e77

More info on this sessions legislation:
http://ctcarry.com/Legislative/Session

davidmcbeth

Banned
Precisely. We lost the rights we once had to incremental erosion, and the DESPP need to learn that it needs to stop.

Where does Commissioner Bradford hide? Behind a thousand guns in Middletown. He's a freaking fascist.

SB 64 also states:

(a) (1) No person shall carry a pistol, revolver, machine gun, shotgun, rifle or other firearm, which is loaded and from which a shot may be discharged, upon his person (A) while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or (B) while the ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person is [ten-hundredths] eight-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight.

So a person who has had a few drinks can not longer defend himself against intruders in his house??? That's what the law says.

Last edited:

Brimac

So what is changing just the stuff in []?

I always thought it was weird that driving was .08 and guns were .10 figure it was a left over when driving used to be .10
I figure someone would eventually see it and want to change it. Surprised it took this long.
At least CT you have some freedom, most states are zero.

I can understand why they wouldn't want 2 different sobriety test.

My biggest problem with % alcohol law is how do you know what your level is it is just a guess it is like having speed limits but no one has a speedometer.
You know when you are really speeding but you cannot tell when you are close.

I carry this blood alcohol chart in my wallet.
http://www.ctclearinghouse.org/topics/customer-files/Alcohol-Impairment-Chart-041205.pdf

But what is a regular beer.
And it doesn't say anywhere how fast your body processes the alcohol I remember hearing you body can process 1 drink per hour. Anyone know if that is correct.

I'm against taking away any of our gun rights but I can see this one being a tough battle, other than if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Slow reaction isn't going to cause an accident with a gun, it is not like driving where you always have to pay attention.

With a gun you need to first intend to pull it before it can become dangerous and then at most an accident may kill 1 person.
There is a difference.
There is a difference.

Can I get that one person to sign in triplicate before he passes away, otherwise I can't transfer his weapon to the sober guy over there. Uh Oh, looks like the sober guy just cracked a tall one. Is there a nun looking for a 1911? It just needs some bluing.