Thread: Long leave of absence. Moved to AK

Long leave of absence. Moved to AK

And wow. Does it feel wonderful. A lot of you might remember me. I haven't posted on this forum in probably over six months. Maybe longer. I moved to Alaska to pursue a career in law enforcement, and I can tell you, it's surely a completely different atmosphere. Society and firearms here are no where near how society views firearms in WA. I mean that in a positive way. Every officer and trooper I have met in Alaska, is very Libertarian in nature. The level of respect that these men and women show toward our Constitution and Civil Liberties is like nothing I have ever seen.

Just thought I'd drop a line and say hello to everyone. I hope things have been going well. I'll take some time to catch up on the WA news feed later tonight!
    Last edited by Aaron1124; 02-15-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Nice to hear from you Aaron! Good luck in all your endeavors I hope life treats ya good. And keep up that libertarian mindset don't let the other progressive officers influence your core beliefs......
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Yes, good to hear from you. I too finished my CJ degree sense we last spoke by PM. But Iíll stick with security, to darn old and set in my ways for the other. On my Dadís first day on the force in ď56Ē he tells me of the old fart that was showing him the items in trunk, and how pulled out a large heavy piece of hose, my dad asking whatís that for, and the old fart laughed and said ďare you f u c & % $ # kidding me FredĒ. Hopefully your training officer has no rubber hoses in the trunk.
    Good luck in you training, and career.

Good to hear from you again. Must say, I'm jealous...I'd jump on moving to AK in a heartbeat. It actually snows and sticks around...firearms laws are great...and it doesn't feel so damn tame, like if you're not paying attention, grizzlies and moose still come into Anchorage...and wolves into Eagle River. I've just gotta break the idea to the wife slowly...it's my conspiracy with my best friend up in Anchorage.

Ha! Thanks guys! It's amazing up here. What's crazy, is the driving distance from the southern most point of the *mainland* area of Alaska, and one of the northern most points (but not THE most northern point) is about 23 hours of driving. That's almost equivalent to driving from Kent, WA to San Diego, CA. Just give you an idea of how massive this place is. That doesn't even count the regions that are non accessible by driving, and the Southeast islands.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    Ha! Thanks guys! It's amazing up here. What's crazy, is the driving distance from the southern most point of the *mainland* area of Alaska, and one of the northern most points (but not THE most northern point) is about 23 hours of driving. That's almost equivalent to driving from Kent, WA to San Diego, CA. Just give you an idea of how massive this place is. That doesn't even count the regions that are non accessible by driving, and the Southeast islands.
    So have you found the "Great Alaskan Bush Company" yet?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    So have you found the "Great Alaskan Bush Company" yet?
    lol tricked my now ex-gf into coming there...but she did a 180 as soon as she got in the door, along with her bestie...dunno why, it's a fine establishment.

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar
    Alexis looks like a tranny.

I was thinking of making the move myself. Is it expensive as they say?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    I was thinking of making the move myself. Is it expensive as they say?
    According to some "Cost of Living" comparison calculators if you live and work in Seattle, moving to Anchorage to live and work would give you about a $1500 increase in available "cash" each year. Move to Fairbanks to live and work and it will be the other way around.

The big thing in Alaska is what you do for a living. If you have a job that is outdoors, such as construction, there's a lot of down time for which the costs just continue.

I traveled there for 13 years in my business and found that after the "Pipeline" was built and the flow of goods became more inexpensive that there wasn't a ton of difference in prices as long as you stuck around Anchorage. Fairbanks was expensive and all the "Bush Communities" were outrageous for costs.

If one has a steady, year round, job, that pays well any increased costs are more than offset by the outdoor recreational activities that present themselves. Consider too that 30% of the jobs in AK are in Government, one form or another. Another 10% are Energy Production (Oil/Gas).

Get the right job and live in the right place, Alaska can be less expensive than right here in Seattle.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

There's also the couple grand you get each year for each member of your household... Nice for buying extra toys that go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingislife725 View Post
    There's also the couple grand you get each year for each member of your household... Nice for buying extra toys that go bang.
    Not quite that generous. 2011's payment is only $1174 ea.

Well yah it varies year to year. I'm just thinking of a couple years ago...best bud lives in Anchorage and got a nice chunk (esp. after his kid was born...along with his live-in gf's portion).