• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some say Conceal carriers might be cowards

jbone

.....well, that's what a co-worker claims!
Yep, if a person wants to be armed they should be allowed to open carry only!
Makes him feel uneasy if you CC, infringes on his right to the persuit of happiness!
HUH????
I can't make this up and could not believe what I was hearing!
I think I've heard most arguments against open carry and heard those against carrying at all but this one still has me confused!
:banghead:

How dare you talk smack about me on the forum.:mad: I'll see you at work bro!

Just pulling your leg :banana:but I wounder if you co-worker is an OCDO Member:question:.

.40S&W

I don't care how people carry, but I have met way too many CC carriers, who talk about "tactical advantage" and some who are just looking for the chance to use their weapon and concealing gives them a greater opportunity so they conceal.

So you've met some that say this and it ultimately shapes your view on all CCers? Can't argue with that logic. Did it ever occur to you that they could have been joking?

Outdoorsman1

I have also heard (read on other forums) that most CCer's talk about the tactical advantage (element of suprise) to CC. With a lot of practice, I am still about 1.5 seconds faster drawing my firearm from my OWB holster on my hip (OC) than from my IWB holster when I CC. I also am ok with anyone who carrys anyway the choose (just as long as they carry... lol)

It could be said that OC actually takes more courage than CC because as we all know, (sarcasum alert)... OC'ing will make you the first target when an armed criminal tries to rob a place you happen to be OC'ing in..... LOL...:lol:

No wait.... Because as we all know, OC'ing will cause the general public to panic and run away screaming... and it must take some courage to OC, knowing that this going to happen... LOL...:lol:

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

rayjax82

Well the guys on the UFC board I go to are always calling gun carriers cowards and afraid to fight H2H. But your guy sounds like a flake. :)

Tough guy morons. I carry mace and a firearm. I like to keep my distance from scum. You might want to ask those idiots how tough they'll fell when they just got the news from their doc that they got HIV, Hep C, or some other blood borne illness from going hands on with some scumbag.

Word to the wise, smarter people live longer.

Last edited:

bmg50cal

These "tough guys" are just butt-hurt that they aren't really supermen, considering the little old lady across the street can arrange for them to meet their maker with an old Colt .45, "The great equalizer."

sudden valley gunner

So you've met some that say this and it ultimately shapes your view on all CCers? Can't argue with that logic. Did it ever occur to you that they could have been joking?

Not at all, I don't care how people carry and I know lots of CC'ers who don't have the attitude and are supportive of OC just don't feel comfortable doing it themselves.

No they weren't joking, one in particular sticks in my mind where he said " I can't wait for the day someone F's with me".

I don't like that attitude and personally find the "tactical advantage" argument flawed. But I would not condemn a person who used force to defend himself even if it was proven he had that attitude it is still the instigators fault....

Did that make my stance a little clearer? :lol:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
.....well, that's what a co-worker claims!
Yep, if a person wants to be armed they should be allowed to open carry only!
Makes him feel uneasy if you CC, infringes on his right to the persuit of happiness!
HUH????
I can't make this up and could not believe what I was hearing!
I think I've heard most arguments against open carry and heard those against carrying at all but this one still has me confused!
:banghead:

Your title statement is true. Some CCers might be cowards. Now whether that has anything to do with CCing I have no idea.

Metalhead47

Not at all, I don't care how people carry and I know lots of CC'ers who don't have the attitude and are supportive of OC just don't feel comfortable doing it themselves.

No they weren't joking, one in particular sticks in my mind where he said " I can't wait for the day someone F's with me".

I don't like that attitude and personally find the "tactical advantage" argument flawed. But I would not condemn a person who used force to defend himself even if it was proven he had that attitude it is still the instigators fault....

Did that make my stance a little clearer? :lol:

This.

I DON'T want to use my weapon. I DON'T want to be the hero. I DON'T want to be Rambo. Open displays of firepower are a DEFENSIVE tactic. There's a reason the whole world knows about America's massive nuclear arsenal AND our ability to deploy it any where in the world within minutes. There's a reason the military brags to or even invites the press along for grand war games. There's a reason (lots actually) I carry my gun on my hip, open for all to see. These things are DETERRENTS. They are displayed to make potential enemies think "look at all the firepower, better not mess with them, I'll go find an easier target."

OTOH, there's a reason the Normandy invasion, the Bert Laden attack, and a criminal's guns are/were closely guarded secrets until the moment of deployment. Concealment is an OFFENSIVE tactic.

One need look no farther than nature really. The poisonous, the sharp, and the ornery generally advertise that fact pretty noticeably BEFORE they are actually attacked by a predator. What good is the poison arrow frog's poison as DEFENSE if it's already down some critter's gullet because it looked like any other frog?

USMC1911

This.

I DON'T want to use my weapon. I DON'T want to be the hero. I DON'T want to be Rambo. Open displays of firepower are a DEFENSIVE tactic. There's a reason the whole world knows about America's massive nuclear arsenal AND our ability to deploy it any where in the world within minutes. There's a reason the military brags to or even invites the press along for grand war games. There's a reason (lots actually) I carry my gun on my hip, open for all to see. These things are DETERRENTS. They are displayed to make potential enemies think "look at all the firepower, better not mess with them, I'll go find an easier target."

OTOH, there's a reason the Normandy invasion, the Bert Laden attack, and a criminal's guns are/were closely guarded secrets until the moment of deployment. Concealment is an OFFENSIVE tactic.

One need look no farther than nature really. The poisonous, the sharp, and the ornery generally advertise that fact pretty noticeably BEFORE they are actually attacked by a predator. What good is the poison arrow frog's poison as DEFENSE if it's already down some critter's gullet because it looked like any other frog?

AMEN ! +10,000 ! I pray to God I NEVER have to use my weapon ! I will "IF" I have to, but I hope I never have to ! I train for the event both physicly and mentaly, but I also will look for a way out, cover, conceal, break contact. You don't have to stand tall, but by God you do have to stand up !
Semper Fi
Smitty

sudden valley gunner

This.

Good analogies, I am going to borrow those if you don't mind.