• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio open carry of hand guns?

mcjaskiel

I own my own had gun and was wondering what is the law about having it on you while walking down the street or driving in a car? Please help.

JustaShooter

Ohio is an open carry state so you can openly carry your handgun (or long gun for that matter) in most places you can carry concealed with a license - with a few exceptions, most notably in a motor vehicle where you must unload and properly store your firearm if you do not have a concealed handgun license.

Mods, this probably belongs in the Ohio form, if you would be so kind as to move it, thanks.

Brian D.

A question for mcjaskiel: Are you 21 years of age or older? That also makes a big difference in laws concerning possession/carry of a handgun in Ohio.

GhostOfJefferson

I own my own had gun and was wondering what is the law about having it on you while walking down the street or driving in a car? Please help.

Carry everywhere you can carry concealed EXCEPT:

On or in any kind of motor vehicle (with the sidearm loaded I mean)
In any establishment that serves alcohol
Around any school (1000 yard radius or some silliness like that)

For these instances you'll need a CHL to be legit, open or concealed. Around schools with a CHL you can only pick up or drop off a kid but you can NOT get out of your car for any reason (yeah, I know, goofy).

And of course, if it has a prohibition sign, well, let them fester in their own stupidity and do not enter, the sign has the force of law here in Ohio.

No carry of rifles or shotguns, loaded, in a vehicle whether you have a CHL or not.

Been open carrying in central Ohio for years, it's easy peasy. Dress respectably, don't pay any mind to police and they'll leave you alone (never had a bad encounter with cops yet, no demands to stop and present ID, etc) and be prepared for random strangers to come over and strike up a conversation with you. You become an ambassador for gun rights, whether you wish to be or not, when out in public. It's a role I like, but some people are put off by it as I understand.

Last edited:

solus

seems the ghost is responding to the vapors of a drive by ghost!!

ipse

JustaShooter

Do you have a citation that says you can't exit your car?

How about this from ORC 2923.122 (D) (4):

(4) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun all of the following apply:

(a) The person is carrying a valid concealed handgun license.

(b) The person is the driver or passenger in a motor vehicle and is in the school safety zone while immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child.

(c) The person is not in violation of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code.

Read (b) carefully. Note it says "... in a motor vehicle". Once you exit the vehicle you are no longer "in a motor vehicle".

One of the pieces of legislation before the OGA last session would have fixed that, but they didn't act on it.

pirateguy191

I remember a story about a father that picked up his special needs daughter in front of the school. He exited his car in the parking lot and walked to the school where the teacher met him with his daughter. Someone saw a holstered gun and called police. They detained the father and locked the school down. The father wasn't arrested and the attorney's for the school system said he was within the law because he didn't enter the school.

I believe this was in the Columbus area a couple years ago but my GoogleFu is weak this morning.

solus

I remember a story about a father that picked up his special needs daughter in front of the school. He exited his car in the parking lot and walked to the school where the teacher met him with his daughter. Someone saw a holstered gun and called police. They detained the father and locked the school down. The father wasn't arrested and the attorney's for the school system said he was within the law because he didn't enter the school.

I believe this was in the Columbus area a couple years ago but my GoogleFu is weak this morning.

then the story would fall under the folklore legacy wouldn't it?? kinda like the infamous comments of "Ya know several years ago, I knew, read about, or know a person, who knows someone, whose relative had this or that done to them or they did this or that to someone else (you fill in your perception of events) and nothing happened to the person(s)!!"

the BABE & smoky legends were actually advertising ploys!!

ipse

Last edited:

pirateguy191

then the story would fall under the folklore legacy wouldn't it?? kinda like the infamous comments of "Ya know several years ago, I knew, read about, or know a person, who knows someone, whose relative had this or that done to them or they did this or that to someone else (you fill in your perception of events) and nothing happened to the person(s)!!"

the BABE & smoky legends were actually advertising ploys!!

ipse

Ummmmmm, no. It's a fact.

"A parent brought his gun to a New Albany-Plain elementary school on Monday and, according to police, that’s just fine.

New Albany city officials said six police officers responded to reports of a man with a gun outside the building that houses grades two through five. It turns out the man was a father with a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which he was doing when he got out of his car to pick up his child.

The school immediately went into lockdown, and police swept the building. Officers also confronted the man with the gun and checked with a prosecutor to see whether he had broken any laws. Their conclusion: He didn’t.

“Ohio law allows people with a concealed-weapon permit to come onto school property/school zone with a concealed weapon so long as they are in the process of picking up or dropping off a child, provided that they do not enter a school building,” city officials wrote in a statement."

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/01/15/groveport-schools-pick-rookie-for-vp.html

JustaShooter

pirateguy191, that doesn't mean that the law allows it - it means either the LEO didn't know, or chose to give the LAC a pass. To me, the law is pretty clear - and the legislation introduced last session to change that wording would tend to back up that interpretation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by solus

so nice to see cite to authority criteria has been met.

ipse
Since I'm not that smart, can you explain what your post means?
Previously the story was w/o formal backup substantiation.

The link provided accomplished that = cite to authority.

solus

I can see that you're "super", but I was questioning solus because he/she was the one that commented on my post. Thanks.

certainly pirateguy191, allow me to clarify and quantify my posts:
1. your first post alluded to something which in my post i nicely stated without the cite it was folk lore, hyperbole, or made up!
2. your second post provided the appropriate news article substantiating your previous post to which i posted it was nice to see the cite to authority sustaining your original statement about the firearm on school grounds in New Albany.

it is unfortunate the article you provided shows the Dispatch's news reporters failed to understand the police's incorrect interpenetration of Ohio's code as outlined by another member's quoting the complete code. thus adding further confusion to members understandling of the situation.

that was the nice explanation pirate that grape tried so nicely to explain to you, so you could save face. since you failed to take the hint and got, IMHO, snarky, let me lay it out for you to fully understand...

forum rule # (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

ipse

Last edited: