• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun-toting woman stops suspect in front yard. (FL)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Glad she was able to protect bersle and everything turned out okay. I'm not sure about the laws in FL. Could she have gotten in trouble if she had used deadly force to protect property?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
"Gun-toting"?

Like this:

ad494d13-f05d-75e3.jpg

ThatOneChick

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Like this:

That picture always cracks me up.

I can see her carry that while driving one of her Range Rovers at Balmoral; but, I'll bet that around Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace, she has a footman carry it for her. It just wouldn't do for her to carry it herself in those settings.

First Footman of the Sig! :)

Last edited:

RRobaldo

This would have been illegal in Florida. You don't have the right to protect your property with deadly force, only the defense of your life.

That being said, if she were IN her car, she absolutely could have shot the sustpect. But she can't leave the safety of her house and engage a suspect stealing her car.

Florida DOES have a law that says you can use deadly force to prevent a forcible felony such as burgulary, but I don't think it would apply to this case as car theft falls under larceny not burgulary.

Also, depending on the D.A. she could have been charged with brandishing even without shooting anyone.

Riana

But this wasn't car theft - it was a carjacking (at least, they're calling him a 'carjacking suspect').

Not that she knew what the guy had done, as he was on foot and running at the time she encountered him. Of course, the helicopter and sirens might have been a clue that he hadn't just stolen a packet of gum.

And any DA who charged her with anything other than being a model citizen needs to smacked firmly upside his (or her) head. :cool:

ThatOneChick

This would have been illegal in Florida. You don't have the right to protect your property with deadly force, only the defense of your life.

That being said, if she were IN her car, she absolutely could have shot the sustpect. But she can't leave the safety of her house and engage a suspect stealing her car.

Florida DOES have a law that says you can use deadly force to prevent a forcible felony such as burgulary, but I don't think it would apply to this case as car theft falls under larceny not burgulary.

Also, depending on the D.A. she could have been charged with brandishing even without shooting anyone.

She heard someone run by in her yard, went to check it out, came face to face with the baddie and, if it were me, possibly feared for her life and well-being.