• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

asked to decock

ps1mhd

I went into a store and the lady who was working at the gun counter asked if I would lower the hammer on my gun. I said no she said it made her nervous I told her it was a 1911 and the safety was on nothing else
was said about it and she helped me with what I needed.
First time that that's happen to me.

Mike D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Seems lots of folks will stop and ask "Do you know your hammer is back (is cocked)?"

The standard response has been to do a dramatic forarm wipe across the brow and exclaim "Thank goodness! For a moment I was afraid my handgun might have become unsafe." A much better conversation starter than a snarky "Why, yes it is, isn't it."

Only once did someone attempt to press the hammer down (to fix it?). The wearer of the 1911 came this close >< to creating a large dent in the guy's head, took a few gulps of air, and had a very pleasant conversation about not touching other people's guns - especially while they are wearing them. The guy attempting to fix things went away wiser and with an understanding that at least one OCer was not a knee-jerk reactionary killer looking for the first target to come along. The OCer, on the other hand, had aged several years in that moment - something they could not well afford to do.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Should have put a round into the floor ! "There, that's done ... oh wait, its cocked again .. I can fix that, hold on...."

DocWalker

I know we need to be diplomatic with stupid people but sometimes it gets trying.

I'm tired of my rights and safety taking a back seat to someones "feelings" or "insecurities".

I want to tell them yes I know it is cocked it is easier to fire that way....duh

But I usally smile and tell them that is the way they are designed as to carry them safely.

SFCRetired

On the other hand, the best laugh I've had in many a year was when a police officer told me that my trigger was cocked! It took me a minute or two to figure out that he was talking about the hammer being cocked on my .45!!

SFCRetired

And this cop carries a weapon right?........scary thought.

Very few of the younger cops around here have any experience with 1911-type pistols. Most of them have only handled Tupperware.:lol:

I have also witnessed a couple of LEOs violate the "finger on trigger" safety rule. What makes it even scarier is the knowledge that the only real safety their weapon has is their control of their bugger hook.

09jisaac

What makes it even scarier is the knowledge that the only real safety their weapon has is their control of their bugger hook.

As it is should be.

It wouldn't bother me to carry any of my firearms cocked, even if they are not equipped with a manual safety. I would even carry a double action firearm (true double action) cocked.

All of my firearms are modern firearms in proper working condition and all of them have a trigger block.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...the lady who was working at the gun counter asked if I would lower the hammer on my gun...

"You want me to handle my loaded weapon? Are you sure you don't want to rethink that request? Have you taken any firearm safety classes?"

Next, do not let the moment just go. If you think she truly doesn't understand, you should write a letter to the management and ask them to train their staff. You can relate the experience without divulging the worker's name. If they know who you are talking about, then that means it is an often enough problem to need correction.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

As it is should be.

It wouldn't bother me to carry any of my firearms cocked, even if they are not equipped with a manual safety. I would even carry a double action firearm (true double action) cocked.

All of my firearms are modern firearms in proper working condition and all of them have a trigger block.

I think you may have misunderstood what I said. The firearms nowadays are safe. It's the people who hold them who are often not safe. In the particular incidents I mentioned above, the cops had their fingers on the triggers. I think we all know that is, to say the least, unsafe.

09jisaac

I think you may have misunderstood what I said. The firearms nowadays are safe. It's the people who hold them who are often not safe. In the particular incidents I mentioned above, the cops had their fingers on the triggers. I think we all know that is, to say the least, unsafe.

The first line was in reply to your comment. Everything after the double vertical space was at nobody in particular.

You are correct about firearms/people. I have never once had a firearm just "go off", but I do know people who has fired a firearm unintentionally.

willy1094

Only once did someone attempt to press the hammer down (to fix it?). The wearer of the 1911 came this close >< to creating a large dent in the guy's head, took a few gulps of air, and had a very pleasant conversation about not touching other people's guns - especially while they are wearing them. The guy attempting to fix things went away wiser and with an understanding that at least one OCer was not a knee-jerk reactionary killer looking for the first target to come along. The OCer, on the other hand, had aged several years in that moment - something they could not well afford to do.

stay safe.
How did someone get close enough to touch the OCer's weapon? Was it poor situational awareness or did they know the "helper"? :shocker:

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

"You want me to handle my loaded weapon? Are you sure you don't want to rethink that request? Have you taken any firearm safety classes?"

Next, do not let the moment just go. If you think she truly doesn't understand, you should write a letter to the management and ask them to train their staff. You can relate the experience without divulging the worker's name. If they know who you are talking about, then that means it is an often enough problem to need correction.

This! + to infinity & beyond. This woman's ignorance is liable to get someone hurt our worse. Does she peer at the split triggers on glocks & ask their owners to place the trigger in the reward position. :eek: ! Why do places hire people to work with guns that have no concept of safe gun handling?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
How did someone get close enough to touch the OCer's weapon? Was it poor situational awareness or did they know the "helper"? :shocker:

Sudden move from close conversational distance. The hammer's owner was facing about 45* away from Mr. Fixit, directing his words to someone else. Remember, I said they tried to fix the problem - not that they were successful.

Y'all can "watch their hands" till the cows come home. It's the shoulders that give things away.

stay safe.