• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about carrying at k-12

MattinWA

Washington state has an exemption to rcws restricting carry at k-12 schools, where as a ccw permit holder can carry while "picking up or dropping off a student"

no where does it mention being inside or outside the facility, or in your car or parking lot ect. (Unless I missed that rcw)

I ran across a website from the st superintendent

http://www.k12.wa.us/safetycenter/weapons/default.aspx

This site mentions the exemption, but states that these permit holders still are not allowed in the building.

direct copy and paste quote: "State law prohibits loaded firearms inside school facilities except for security and law enforcement."

At my child's public school, you must enter the office to sign out your child if leaving early for say; a doctor appointment, dentist, vacation ect.

Say I was OCing that day, and entered the office as such (obviously with my ccw on person)

Apparently these faculty are trained to think this would be illegal

Did I miss an rcw somewhere, or is this more misinformation from ill informed public servants?

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Ok, here in WA it is a CPL Concealed Pistol Licence (not a CCW). My understanding about picking up/dropping off is you can't go inside a school building. So you would need to secure your weapon in your car if you go inside to sign your kid out.

dakatak87

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

RCW 9.41.280
Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:
(a) Any firearm;

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

(7) "GUN-FREE ZONE" signs shall be posted around school facilities giving warning of the prohibition of the possession of firearms on school grounds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Line 6 states that you can not have you firearm in the school if you are just picking up/dropping off your child. Subsection "e" is not included in line 6 expemption.

MattinWA

Ahhh I see the run around now, thx for clarification.

this wasn't a theory I was willing to test, just a question I thought of a few days ago while bored.
Threw in open carry to make it relevant.

7) "GUN-FREE ZONE" signs shall be posted around school facilities giving warning of the prohibition of the possession of firearms on school grounds.

school grounds are not school facilities so this is irrelevant
Thx again ;).

badkarma

Does this apply to school district buildings not used for teaching school? Administrative building that do not have #7(Posted signs).

sirpuma

As has been covered, if you have a CPL you can have a firearm on you or in your vehicle when you pick up or drop off a student. However you can't take it inside any buildings. I would make a point of being CC if I have to step out of my vehicle, just to keep people from wetting themselves and calling the cops.

MattinWA

As has been covered, if you have a CPL you can have a firearm on you or in your vehicle when you pick up or drop off a student. However you can't take it inside any buildings. I would make a point of being CC if I have to step out of my vehicle, just to keep people from wetting themselves and calling the cops.

Meh im not really concerned about how people or leo "feel" about my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. I dont rub it in anyones face when I carry. If someone did call, I would hope the responding officers were versed on the law, or else I might be receiving a nice little bonus ;).

No reason to be harassed or intimidated for following the law

Last edited:

MattinWA

Does this apply to school district buildings not used for teaching school? Administrative building that do not have #7(Posted signs).

Common sense would make me think that just because a school district owns a building, does not always make it a school. Maintenance, admin, ect.

But common sense isnt very common anymore

Bill Starks

State Researcher

I OC'd to pick up my daughter at her school because of the issues I had with school personnel, I OC'd to make a point to the school police officer, the principle and anyone else... LET THEM WET THEMSELVES !!

I OC'd a empty holster when I had to go inside the school.

Bill Starks

State Researcher