• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No knifes in Weapons Locker at GoodToGo hearing

malichite

I recently had to go see the judge about a good to go infraction at this location 4554 9th Ave NE Suite 100 seattle 98105. I did not have my pistol with me, however when I showed up to the metal detector, I requested a locker for my pocket knife. I was told weapons lockers are ONLY for pistols. I was told to leave it in my vehicle (which I did not have) or throw it away. I promptly reviewed RCW 9.41.300 and under section B it looks like knives fall under "weapons"
For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any [highlight]knife[/highlight], dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

and then this part

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for [highlight]weapon storage[/highlight],

Am I crazy for thinking that I should be able to lock up my knife? I'd really like to right a letter but I am not very good at that and I am not really sure where to start and or who to contact.

Names:
Officer David Ruiz
Officer (didn't get a first name) Reed

Both work for "Phoenix Protective"

After bringing RCW 9.41.300 to their attention, I then asked, what if I came in with my pistol and a pocket knife. I was told "You will only be able to lock up your pistol, not your knife"

Grrrrr

EMNofSeattle

I recently had to go see the judge about a good to go infraction at this location 4554 9th Ave NE Suite 100 seattle 98105. I did not have my pistol with me, however when I showed up to the metal detector, I requested a locker for my pocket knife. I was told weapons lockers are ONLY for pistols. I was told to leave it in my vehicle (which I did not have) or throw it away. I promptly reviewed RCW 9.41.300 and under section B it looks like knives fall under "weapons"

and then this part

Am I crazy for thinking that I should be able to lock up my knife? I'd really like to right a letter but I am not very good at that and I am not really sure where to start and or who to contact.

Names:
Officer David Ruiz
Officer (didn't get a first name) Reed

Both work for "Phoenix Protective"

After bringing RCW 9.41.300 to their attention, I then asked, what if I came in with my pistol and a pocket knife. I was told "You will only be able to lock up your pistol, not your knife"

Grrrrr

is the hearing center actually a "court" or is it just an arbitrator?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
all the places I have secured my weapon, I've also put my knife and other things in there as well.

In Tacoma, I was told not to put my keys in there as they get bomb threats. Until the building has been cleared, I can't get my stuff back and it seems that most bomb calls are late afternoon.

Freedom1Man

all the places I have secured my weapon, I've also put my knife and other things in there as well.

In Tacoma, I was told not to put my keys in there as they get bomb threats. Until the building has been cleared, I can't get my stuff back and it seems that most bomb calls are late afternoon.

I don't see that exemption in the law. They are to be secured there only during your visit.

Grim_Night

I don't see that exemption in the law. They are to be secured there only during your visit.

He's saying that he wouldn't be able to get his stuff back till after they clear (make sure it's safe) the building due to a bomb threat. I'm kinda not seeing a problem with that even if I were to have stored my firearm and such. I don't think the first thing on my mind would be to retrieve my weapon if I was suddenly informed that there was a bomb in the building... I'd be wanting to get the fook out of there till it was safe to return. If you drove to the county city building and locked your keys up, you wouldn't be able to get back into your car :p

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

He's saying that he wouldn't be able to get his stuff back till after they clear (make sure it's safe) the building due to a bomb threat. I'm kinda not seeing a problem with that even if I were to have stored my firearm and such. I don't think the first thing on my mind would be to retrieve my weapon if I was suddenly informed that there was a bomb in the building... I'd be wanting to get the fook out of there till it was safe to return. If you drove to the county city building and locked your keys up, you wouldn't be able to get back into your car :p

well if there is truly a bomb and terrorists have targetted the building I would prefer to get the fook out of there too.... with my gun.....

just sayin....

Grim_Night

well if there is truly a bomb and terrorists have targetted the building I would prefer to get the fook out of there too.... with my gun.....

just sayin....

But do you think the security and police officers (the sheriff's department is actually in control of the lock boxes at the court building in downtown tacoma) are going to stop what they are doing just so they can make sure everybody that had checked in their weapons gets them back promptly?

Freedom1Man

What I am saying is that before you leave the building they have to give you back your belonging bomb threat or no bomb threat.

I did not see where there was a bomb threat exemption.

Grim_Night

What I am saying is that before you leave the building they have to give you back your belonging bomb threat or no bomb threat.

I did not see where there was a bomb threat exemption.

Let's look at it from this viewpoint...

There's a bomb threat, they evacuate the building... you are on the first floor, maybe down in traffic court. They are going to funnel people out the nearest exit. so you're not going up to the 2nd floor to get your gun back in the first place. And you aren't going to walk around the building and try to get back in again cuz they won't let you back in. even if you were on the 2nd floor or higher, they are going to get everybody out of the building post haste. no time to worry about calling somebody specifically to come up with the keys and such to get into the lock box room and have you waiting around the whole time just so you and the other people that may have stored a weapon.

Use your head... They are not going to treat you like you and your gun are more important then the safety of the rest of the people in the building that are in possible danger from an explosive device. Suck it up, go outside and wait like a normal rational person till they can make sure everything is safe then go back in and get your weapon.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Let's look at it from this viewpoint...

There's a bomb threat, they evacuate the building... you are on the first floor, maybe down in traffic court. They are going to funnel people out the nearest exit. so you're not going up to the 2nd floor to get your gun back in the first place. And you aren't going to walk around the building and try to get back in again cuz they won't let you back in. even if you were on the 2nd floor or higher, they are going to get everybody out of the building post haste. no time to worry about calling somebody specifically to come up with the keys and such to get into the lock box room and have you waiting around the whole time just so you and the other people that may have stored a weapon.

Use your head... They are not going to treat you like you and your gun are more important then the safety of the rest of the people in the building that are in possible danger from an explosive device. Suck it up, go outside and wait like a normal rational person till they can make sure everything is safe then go back in and get your weapon.

I know, most normal 'rational' people ignore laws and commit crimes. They also don't care about their rights or the rights of anyone else either.

Either follow the law or amend it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I wonder if the chances of being killed by a bomb is actually lower in an area where a bomb threat is made? I would stay in the building then..playing the odds.

Trigger Dr

I wonder if the chances of being killed by a bomb is actually lower in an area where a bomb threat is made? I would stay in the building then..playing the odds.

If you want to improve your odds, take a bomb with you. The percentages of a bomb being in the building are pretty slim, while on the other hand, the chances of 2 bombs being in the building at the same time are almost non existent.:lol:

Mavasaur

Oh, these clowns again. I'd honestly call and complain to their boss, their security 'officers' generally lack knowledge of the law. (I worked for them for a while after I got out of the Army)

Here's a direct line to the owners secretary. And their headquarters office is located in Downtown Spokane, across the street from Laser Quest.

Phone: 509-448-4277

malichite

Oh, these clowns again. I'd honestly call and complain to their boss, their security 'officers' generally lack knowledge of the law. (I worked for them for a while after I got out of the Army)

Here's a direct line to the owners secretary. And their headquarters office is located in Downtown Spokane, across the street from Laser Quest.

Phone: 509-448-4277

Thank you very much. I will give them a ring.

malichite

Just spoke with Zach at Phoenix Protective and sounds like they are aware of the issue and working to solve it. He apologized for the incident as well. I also asked if it was a State owned/run court and he said yes it was. I have to head back today so I will see if the situation is different this time around.

malichite

Just wejt through the most controlled process ever to remove my pistol and put it in a locker. I did however verify that the knife issue is no longer an issue and their policies have been updated.