• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Info on OC

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Question for any.. whats the best site to look up open carry laws

There are no open carry laws in the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is the absence of any statute that makes OC ex post facto legal. No permission slip/permit required to OC either.

Just be an otherwise non-restricted person and mind the rules on where no guns are allowed.

Woops - just noticed that you are in Kentucky. Will move your post there

Last edited:

The Truth

So if you get caught even just one time "illegally concealing" you may never be able to purchase a gun again? Minimum 2 year sentence? Or is that outdated...

The Truth

I got it from your own post...maybe you forgot?

"In a 1956 Court of Appeals decision, Judge Morman wrote the following(of course 1956 was before concealed weapons licenses were available in Ky.):
In our state the legislature is empowered only to deny to citizens the right to carry concealed weapons. The constitutional provision is an affirmation of the faith that all men have the inherent right to arm themselves for the defense of themselves and of the state. The only limitation concerns the mode of carrying such instruments. We observe, via obiter dicta, that although a person is granted the right to carry a weapon openly, a severe penalty is imposed for carrying it concealed. If the gun is worn outside the jacket or shirt in full view, no one may question the wearer's right so to do; but, if it is carried under the jacket or shirt, the violator is subject to imprisonment for not less than two nor more than five years. The heavy emphasis, we suppose, is upon the undue advantage given to a person who is able suddenly to expose and use a weapon, although the gun itself is the vicious instrument."

Bill Starks

State Researcher
keep your mouth shut about it and it won't matter what the law says. If it is ever discovered the law should protect you.

After moving here I had to have the car inspected by a deputy. When he opened the car door the 1911 was in the door pocket. Nothing was said till he got ready to close the door and he gently closed it, saying "I didn't want your gun to jump around in the door pocket and go off."

While I was waiting in the lobby and talking to another deputy (who happened to be a former Army tanker), he saw my holster and asked if I had a gun on me, to which I replied "no, it's in the car."

In Washington State, they are required to have lock boxes or someone to take possession of the firearm, so we can lock them up before entering the court. Maybe that's something we should push for here as well.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
So if you get caught even just one time "illegally concealing" you may never be able to purchase a gun again? Minimum 2 year sentence? Or is that outdated...

KRS 527.020
(10) Carrying a concealed weapon is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the defendant hasbeen previously convicted of a felony in which a deadly weapon was possessed,used, or displayed, in which case it is a Class D felony.

KRS 237.110
(15) The licensee shall carry the license at all times the licensee is carrying a concealedfirearm or other deadly weapon and shall display the license upon request of a lawenforcement officer. Violation of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute anoncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars ($25), payable to theclerk of the District Court, but no court costs shall be assessed.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
You could have just OC'ed into the Sheriff's office. No need to leave it in the car or use a lock box.

Here in Madisonville, the Deputies at the court house are the ones who do the inspection. In order for me to change my drivers license, I have to leave the gun, knife, cell phone & blue tooth ear piece in the car because I have to go thru the security check station to get to the licensing office.

flb_78

State law allows us to open carry into the sheriff's dept. They're not supposed to stop that. If they do, they have violated your rights. They can keep your knife, cell phone, and earpiece out, but they have to allow the gun.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
State law allows us to open carry into the sheriff's dept. They're not supposed to stop that. If they do, they have violated your rights. They can keep your knife, cell phone, and earpiece out, but they have to allow the gun.

This had NOTHING to do with the Sheriff's office. The new court house (IE:Judicial Center) requires you leave all the usual carry items in your vehicle.