• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine now recognizes Michigan's permit

xmanhockey7

When did all this start?

Good news though!

My understanding is Michigan signed the agreement about a month ago and Maine signed it a couple days ago. Michigan's permit is now recognized in every state that recognizes other states permits. So pretty much you can't be in a state with better recognition.

malignity

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

that would be me. I've long wanted to go camping in northern Maine, but refuse to go without a firearm for obvious reasons. Now I can. Great news. :)

Now the next question... can I OC there? :D

Maine is an OC state. You know you can get a non-resident Maine permit? Pretty easy to get, MI won't issue me one but Maine had no problem. Just fill out the app, send in a check for $60, and proof you took some sort of firearm safety class (your CPL class) and you should have it in about 90 days.

Yooper

I sent an email to the MI AG a few months back (or seeing how it's already winter, could have been back in May), asking him to pursue a reciprocity agreement with Maine, and included relevant links to other states websites that Maine had reciprocity with, that had requirements much less stringent than what MI has.

xmanhockey7

I sent an email to the MI AG a few months back (or seeing how it's already winter, could have been back in May), asking him to pursue a reciprocity agreement with Maine, and included relevant links to other states websites that Maine had reciprocity with, that had requirements much less stringent than what MI has.

Yeah there was no reason for them to not to our permit is def harder to get. They don't require fingerprints and min age is 18.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
About 2 yeras ago I called the head of the Maine State Police and left a message asking why Michigan CPL holders could not carry concealed in Maine. About an hour later I received a call back from the "Colonel" himself (can't remember his name right now). Basically, he said that Michigan's requirements were fine but that they (Michigan) would not sign a reciprocity agreement with Maine as required by Maine law. I then called the AG office and talked to a representative there who told me they would sign an agreement...as they had with other states. I then called the Colonel once again, and he once again returned my call and I spoke with him directly. I gave him the contact infornation at the AG's office and he said he would contact them.

I didn't hear anything about it until this past September when Gary Slider at Handgunlaw.us posted that he had it from reliable sources that Michigan and Maine were working on an agreement. I was hoping this would come through. I believe that, with Maine accepting our CPL, we are now the "most accepted" state license... but I have not verified that. YEAH!!

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

About 2 yeras ago I called the head of the Maine State Police and left a message asking why Michigan CPL holders could not carry concealed in Maine. About an hour later I received a call back from the "Colonel" himself (can't remember his name right now). Basically, he said that Michigan's requirements were fine but that they (Michigan) would not sign a reciprocity agreement with Maine as required by Maine law. I then called the AG office and talked to a representative there who told me they would sign an agreement...as they had with other states. I then called the Colonel once again, and he once again returned my call and I spoke with him directly. I gave him the contact infornation at the AG's office and he said he would contact them.

I didn't hear anything about it until this past September when Gary Slider at Handgunlaw.us posted that he had it from reliable sources that Michigan and Maine were working on an agreement. I was hoping this would come through. I believe that, with Maine accepting our CPL, we are now the "most accepted" state license... but I have not verified that. YEAH!!

If were are not the single best we are tied because the only states that don't recognize ours don't recognize any other states permits.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I wasn't looking for "proof"...just pointing out that not all the websites were updated yet.

The "you" to whom I was referring was "readers in general". My point in posting was that IF anyone is traveling to Maine and they don't have the addition of Michigan on their website, having a copy of the agreement might make the trip a little more comfortable. In no way was I trying to imply that you specifically didn't believe it.