• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jblm cc

modernknight

Jblm

Is there anyone that actually has their weapons registered with JBLM? I'm a reservist that drives from Spokane to McChord on drill weekends (at least when the weather is nice) and would prefer to take my gun, rather than leaving it here, but would like to make sure I'm still within legal limits (after all, my plans are to go officer eventually..). What is the process I need to take in order to get my .45 registered, and where do I take it when I reach/pick it up when I get ready to leave McChord before/after my drill weekend??

(And I realize you can't CC on base, bad wording for topic, my mistake)

Last edited:

Schlepnier

Some of our other active military members can give you the specifics but IIRC i beleive you have to first of all register it by bringing in your information and the weapon information seriel # etc..... to give to the base and then you have to check it in with base security when you actually do bring it with you so they can put it in the armory.

rember it must be unloaded and seperate from the ammunition in a locked case not accessable by the vehicle operator or passengers when you transport on base.

:banana:

modernknight

Some of our other active military members can give you the specifics but IIRC i beleive you have to first of all register it by bringing in your information and the weapon information seriel # etc..... to give to the base and then you have to check it in with base security when you actually do bring it with you so they can put it in the armory.

rember it must be unloaded and seperate from the ammunition in a locked case not accessable by the vehicle operator or passengers when you transport on base.

:banana:

The Armory is usually manned 24/7, correct?? I would hate to get off work and find it closed or something :) Where would said armory be located? and does my CO need to sign off on the registration??

DamonK

Hey TW, your link is broken... Or maybe it's my horrible laptop. Either way, If you want to register your 45, you need to go to Waller Hall and get a post firearm registration form. Then you'll fill it out and you'll have your commander sign it. At no point in any of this process do you take your firearm with you. Technically you can only have it in your vehicle going back and forth to the range to shoot it. But if you're like me, you could get a little lockbox and put it in your trunk. Make sure that it's unloaded and secured in your vehicle at all times on post and out of view.

decklin

Hey TW, your link is broken... Or maybe it's my horrible laptop. Either way, If you want to register your 45, you need to go to Waller Hall and get a post firearm registration form. Then you'll fill it out and you'll have your commander sign it. At no point in any of this process do you take your firearm with you. Technically you can only have it in your vehicle going back and forth to the range to shoot it. But if you're like me, you could get a little lockbox and put it in your trunk. Make sure that it's unloaded and secured in your vehicle at all times on post and out of view.

+1

The only time you check a personal weapon on post is if you live in the barracks. You can't have weapons in the barracks so you have to check it into your unit armory. It was a pain because you had to have your CO sign off for you to draw it and you had to set an appointment with the armorer to put it back. I had to go through this when I lived in the barracks. I was so happy when I got an apartment.
Just follow what DamonK said and you'll be fine. If you get searched at the gate and they find it just tell them you're going to the range or other authorized activity. As long as you registered the firearm you are good to go. Do not try to carry on post! JBLM has had multiple shootings over the last 4 years and they have no tolerance for infractions.

modernknight

+1

The only time you check a personal weapon on post is if you live in the barracks. You can't have weapons in the barracks so you have to check it into your unit armory. It was a pain because you had to have your CO sign off for you to draw it and you had to set an appointment with the armorer to put it back. I had to go through this when I lived in the barracks. I was so happy when I got an apartment.
Just follow what DamonK said and you'll be fine. If you get searched at the gate and they find it just tell them you're going to the range or other authorized activity. As long as you registered the firearm you are good to go. Do not try to carry on post! JBLM has had multiple shootings over the last 4 years and they have no tolerance for infractions.

Sounds good. Thanks for the input :)

modernknight

Here is the link for weapons registration:
http://www.lewis.army.mil/des/le_veh_registration.htm

When you look at the actual registration form, pay attention to the back. It has lots of good info that will keep you out of trouble.

Also, you can register at the visitor center when Waller Hall is closed.

So just to be clear, because it says "If you're staying on JBLM..."

Even if I am only staying for Friday night, saturday night, and leaving sunday, I need to have it in the armory? I can't just place it in a locked box in my car, in the trunk (with ammo seperated and secured), and leave it there until I leave??

LkWd_Don

Here is the link for weapons registration:
http://www.lewis.army.mil/des/le_veh_registration.htm

When you look at the actual registration form, pay attention to the back. It has lots of good info that will keep you out of trouble.

Also, you can register at the visitor center when Waller Hall is closed.

I am glad you found that link, I used to work the gates as one of the Armed Private Security Officers and when I saw this thread, I know that any weapon coming onto the Base has to be registered with the Provost Marshals Office (PMO or Military Police HQ's) Even Civilians who bring shotguns on the base during one of the foul hunting seasons need to pre-register. We had to hold many firearms at the gate until the PMO could get back to us that they were properly registered. So, my advise in this would be to take the PMO approved form that you will get back and get a certified copy of it to carry with you to show at the gates should you happen to be checked.

I am a Retiree who likes going to Range 15 and shooting. Most of my firearms are registered on post if I will be carrying them on and shooting at the range. The back of the registration from makes it clear that:
Weapons can only be carried in a vehicle when traveling to and from authorized hunting, target practice, matches, or off post locations.

When transporting weapons, they must be secured in the vehicle's trunk or, if the vehicle doesn't have a lockable trunk, encased in such a manner that it's not readily accessible to the driver or passengers.

Weapons must be transported unloaded and ammunition must be stored separately from the weapon.

The registration form must be readily available at all times while a weapon is located on JBLM property.

When entering JBLM vehicle occupants are required to declare the presence of any firearms located in the vehicle.

Concealed weapon permits are not valid on JBLM.

Last edited:

J1MB0B

Even if I am only staying for Friday night, saturday night, and leaving sunday, I need to have it in the armory? I can't just place it in a locked box in my car, in the trunk (with ammo seperated and secured), and leave it there until I leave??

I'm not telling you to do this so whatever you choose to do is on you.
I would just fill out the form, in box three check "OFF POST", then keep it locked in my truck. While I'm on post I would behave myself and keep my mouth shut.

modernknight

Oh really? No report from any news agency around the Puget Sound on multiple shootings on JBLM? I have to call BS but please prove me wrong.

Just to throw in a little bit: so far I haven't seen any reportings of violence IN JBLM, however there's been problems overseas with soldiers from JBLM

http://mynorthwest.com/11/652674/Why-harsh-criticism-of-JBLM-might-not-be-fair

This is a bit recent, highlighting a Staff Sergeant who just shot up 17 civilian afghanistan's while deployed at the end of March. Perhaps this is what he means?

Even when I was in a Stryker Brigade out of Fort Wainwright, Alaska, we still heard quite a bit about "trouble" from the soldiers at Ft. Lewis (since it wasn't JBLM back then)....so it wouldn't surprise me if this is the type of stuff he actually meant to refer towards, perhaps not specifically on JBLM or directly outside..

Eeyore

From their website: "All privately owned weapons being brought onto Joint Base Lewis-McChord property are also required to be registered." (emphasis added)

Remember, SPs conduct random vehicle searches from time to time at the gate. If they find a locked safe, they will have you open it. If they find an unregistered weapon, there will be trouble. Better to just speak to your commander, register the weapon, and stay on the straight & narrow. They will probably want your weapon stored in the armory while you're in billeting, but that policy might vary from base to base.

decklin

Oh really? No report from any news agency around the Puget Sound on multiple shootings on JBLM? I have to call BS but please prove me wrong.

Here you go, Chief. Took all of 5 seconds.
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-07-22/justice/fort.lewis.shooting_1_shot-clothing-fort-lewis?_s=PM:CRIME

Here's another taste.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/08/24/99591/soldier-admits-double-murder-at.html

There was another shooting in the fall of 2010. I can't find any articles. The report we were given was a soldier on North Fort had a gun in the barracks and was threatening other soldiers. The MP's showed up, he pointed the weapon at them and they shot him.

Those two articles took me less than a minute to dig up.