• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you NoVA members tracking this one?

1911 Enthusiast

This thread sure has taken some twists and turns since I visited last. BTW, that archive of the thread didn't capture everything--I remember making at least one more post before the whole thing was so ingloriously deleted.

Thanks, but no need, Ed. My in-box nearly filled up with folks anxious to pass on their tall tales and personality observations.

Would I be correct in assuming that the members who wrote you off line were supportive of the points made? If you'll be at the next Lobby Day, I'll try to get linked up and hear about those "tall tails and personality observations." Should be good for some yucks. Bet I can guess who the goat was also.

Or, maybe I can make one of the Richmond OC dinners and show up early for the inside track. Sounds like a knowledgable group who tells it like it is.

Probably time to lock this one and let it scroll off into oblivion.

Felix

Why? The point was that there was no thread to discuss updates and information.

Agree. No reason to close down a subject of interest as long as it's being updated periodically when more information becomes known. For example, there are varying stories about who was actually shot in the foot. Waitress? Another customer at the table? Hopefully someone can attend the hearing and provide more clarity.

IMO, the first thread should never have been deleted to start with. It was certainly more germane to VA gun owners than several others I've seen here. I have no personal knowledge of who instigated the move to delete the thread and play ostrich with the incident but it was a poor decision.

Brian D.

I'm not sure one idiot with a new gun is indicative of the whole organization or all the patrons. But then again, one or two ND's a year is bad.

We seem to be having more ND's at shows around my part of Ohio...perhaps in part because of the newbie gun owners. Although the last two I know of were committed by the tableholders. They quietly refuse to follow gunshow rules that require them to unload carry pieces, then sometime thru the weekend they feel compelled to show those guns to other tableholders or attendees.

BillB

Man went to the GS at Dulles Expo
Man purchased handgun
Man then went to Hooters, located across the commerce park after GS
Man handled firearm in unsafe manner.
Man caused firearm to discharge.
Man inflicted injury to companion at table with said firearm.

Had he just purchased the gun?

The Fairfax County Police report says he unintentionally discharged the handgun while reloading it.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2012/073012oneinjred.htm

If he was in fact reloading (reloading not loading) his handgun in Hooters, this suggests to me he was carrying the gun before he went to the gun show and likely had to unload it and have it zip-tied before he entered the gun show.

From another source:

"According to police, "he had just left an event for which he had to unload his handgun" and decided to reload the gun in the restaurant."

http://ohhshoot.blogspot.com/2012/08/man-unintentionally-shoots-his-friend.html

Last edited:

ChinChin

Had he just purchased the gun?

The Fairfax County Police report says he unintentionally discharged the handgun while reloading it.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2012/073012oneinjred.htm

If he was in fact reloading (reloading not loading) his handgun in Hooters, this suggests to me he was carrying the gun before he went to the gun show and likely had to unload it and have it zip-tied before he entered the gun show.

From another source:

"According to police, "he had just left an event for which he had to unload his handgun" and decided to reload the gun in the restaurant."

http://ohhshoot.blogspot.com/2012/08/man-unintentionally-shoots-his-friend.html

While my trust as pertains to the accuracy of the press is well known, let’s say for a moment that your summation of the event is 100% spot on accurate.

It *still* showcases the mentality and quality of customer base which has dominated that particular venue in the last few years. That this gentlemen found it a wise and prudent action, to handle & load a firearm in crowded eatery is enough of an indictment of his sense of safety & good judgment to keep my backside away from the Expo Center. At this point, his purchase of that particular firearm within the show that day is irrelevant. I’m sure the careless demonstrated in Hooters was not his only action wrt lack of safety that day. With as crowded as the shows are and the mass density of the shows, it’s like a magnet for the masses to concentrate their poor grasp of the 4 basic rules in one focused geographic enclosed area.

My opinion is unchanged. That said, this is only *my* opinion and everybody else must arrive at their own.

BillB

So what does the gun show and the apparent (at least to me) fact that he did not just buy his handgun at the gun show have to do with any of this?

Someone is likely soon enough to come up with the notion that gun show policy forced this guy to unload his carry handgun, and that this somehow contributed to his ND. They will argue that it was contributory because the ND probably would not have happened (since it apparently occurred while he was reloading) if he had not been required to unload his handgun to enter the gun show. BS I say. Being able to safely (read properly) load and unload you handgun is a basic gun owner or operator personal responsibility. Screw it up and be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Now, this guy is charged with felony because the ND happened in a public place and resulted in an injury. This guy's judgment to reload his handgun in a crowded restaurant (Hooters) is, well, beyond just bad. However, reloading in Hooters likely only affected the seriousness of the ND (the injury) and was not a contributing factor to the cause of the ND.

So, what's the root problem here? Either this guy didn't know any better (not too likely in my view) or he had attitudinal problems with respect to proper gun handling? I don't know and don't much care. He is charged with felony - good!

Last edited:

ChinChin

So what does the gun show and the apparent (at least to me) fact that he did not just buy his handgun at the gun show have to do with any of this?

I though I explained this already, stating his purchase at the show was irrelevant? Just checked. . .I did. Let me see if I can be more specific. This guy is a moron. This guy is also (at least in my opinion) representative of the vast majority of attendees of this particular venue. I base this opinion upon the multitude of incidents I have been witness to, as well as first hand accounts from close friends who have also seen the complete disregard for safety at these shows. I've also seen people who have been able to "finger F" firearms on a display table without feeling the needs to point the firearm at various people. Sadly, they are outnumbered by the morons.

The show attracts more idiots and dolts than I'm comfortable being around, or associating with. This man is a prime example ("king moron" if you will) of the lack of common sense being displayed at the show. In this instance, he demonstrated that their particular disease of the brain and lack of training has escaped the quarantine zone (the GS) and is now infecting the nearby businesses. It is not in dispute that he had just been at the show. Nor am I sure that his IQ was altered by attending the show. I'm sure MENSA was just as ready to knock on his door before he went in, just as when he had left.

Yes I have a low opinion of the general populace. This is not in dispute.

BillB

I though I explained this already, stating his purchase at the show was irrelevant? Just checked. . .I did.

I don't recall quoting you in my last post - just checked... I didn't.

This guy is a moron.

I'll agree he at least acted like one

This guy is also (at least in my opinion) representative of the vast majority of attendees of this particular venue. I base this opinion upon the multitude of incidents I have been witness to, as well as first hand accounts from close friends who have also seen the complete disregard for safety at these shows. I've also seen people who have been able to "finger F" firearms on a display table without feeling the needs to point the firearm at various people. Sadly, they are outnumbered by the morons.

Well, take that up with the VCDL leadership and others who are gun show boosters. I'm neither.