• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kmart- kid jumps out of aisle with a pistol

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I was shopping with my Sweet Baboo yesterday at kmart. I was walking down a semi crowded aisle when a kid about ten or twelve jumps out with a pistol, stalking someone. I did not see the orange plug right away as he turned the corner, took aim, and shot his father. The father was embarrassed and told the kid to put the pistol back. I continued on and up comes another kid with a pistol. I said "hey, what do you think you are doing?" he turned the pistol sideways and said "it's an airsoft", I replied "put it down, that's a good way to get shot." He put the weapon on a shelf and moved off. I reported the incident to an employee and asked him to recover the pistol . The two of them opened up a couple of packages and started playing "shoot me".

What would you have done and has this ever happened to you?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Kids. Playing.

If they were damaging store property by opening packages, I mighta said something to the staff. But, you never know. Were I the merchant, I would reply, "Shhh. I sell more of those guns after the kids play with them and start pestering their parents to buy them!"

Metalhead47

I was shopping with my Sweet Baboo yesterday at kmart. I was walking down a semi crowded aisle when a kid about ten or twelve jumps out with a pistol, stalking someone. I did not see the orange plug right away as he turned the corner, took aim, and shot his father. The father was embarrassed and told the kid to put the pistol back. I continued on and up comes another kid with a pistol. I said "hey, what do you think you are doing?" he turned the pistol sideways and said "it's an airsoft", I replied "put it down, that's a good way to get shot." He put the weapon on a shelf and moved off. I reported the incident to an employee and asked him to recover the pistol . The two of them opened up a couple of packages and started playing "shoot me".

What would you have done and has this ever happened to you?

They're just lucky your name isn't Birk or we'd be hearing about it on the news right about now.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
They're just lucky your name isn't Birk or we'd be hearing about it on the news right about now.

Ouch!

We should also come up with a term for an inquest that completely avoids examining whether a cop even had RAS to stop a citizen before shooting him for crossing a street with a closed folding knife.

EMNofSeattle

depends on the quality of the toy and how accurate they are in reproduction of an actual firearm.

In Kmart, little kid close to toy section, wouldn't do much of anything

I'd be very hard to articulate to a police officer/judge/jury/media that you really believed your life was in danger at that time rightly or wrongly.

on the other hand, if it was an adolescent or young adult pointing a pretty good imitation of a firearm at me, and i'm talking full-size detail accurate "toy" that would warrant a different response.

I actually used to play airsoft regularily, some friends and I would hold matches shooting the plastic bbs at each other, we'd play in the back lot of a church ( a rather sizable lot with a mockup of Bethlehem that they use around christmas for a nativity show), with permission of the pastor of course, we'd park near by and walk in a group of us, all wearing full cammo, load bearing gear, and airsoft guns that resembled M-4s, G-36s, I had an M-14 mock up, one kid even had a FAMAS mock up. We'd walk down the street to the game site, one time a police officer drove slowly by us, rolled down the window and asked us for "directions to Kandahar" before continuing on his way laughing....

some times it's extremely obvious what's going on, other times not so much. difficult question.

TechnoWeenie

A kid at a Taco Bell got shot after 'shooting' an airsoft gun at someone.

A bunch of kids got their moms SUV shot up after pointing an airsoft M4 out the window, while it was being driven.

Both here in washington in the past 10 years, neither had charges filed against the person with the real gun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My granddaughter, 14 or 15 yo at the time, burst in her front door and told her dad (my son) that a boy has a pistol at the beach. The beach is a sandy area for recreation and swimming at a private lake in their sub-division. My son rolled - he is an instructor at a state academy. Turns out the 16 yo had painted the orange tip black on his very real looking airsoft gun. He read the boy and his mother the riot act......twice. Explained that the young man could have been shot by someone thinking the gun was real. It is my understanding that the mother took the "toy" away from her boy and destroyed it.

Jeff Hayes

"I'd be very hard to articulate to a police officer/judge/jury/media that you really believed your life was in danger at that time rightly or wrongly."

If you actually shot someone under those circumstances it would not be hard at all to articulate your fear to a police officer/judge/jury/media, why else would you have shot?

"if it was an adolescent or young adult pointing a pretty good imitation of a firearm at me"

So you make decisions on defending your self on the way someone looks or their age?

sudden valley gunner

My step son and friends used to play airsoft a lot. One time on the way home his freinds popped out of the woods pointing their airsoft rifles at me. I of course was OC'ing stopped and gave them something to think about....they didn't do it again.

"I'd be very hard to articulate to a police officer/judge/jury/media that you really believed your life was in danger at that time rightly or wrongly."

If you actually shot someone under those circumstances it would not be hard at all to articulate your fear to a police officer/judge/jury/media, why else would you have shot?

"if it was an adolescent or young adult pointing a pretty good imitation of a firearm at me"

So you make decisions on defending your self on the way someone looks or their age?

Yet he defends the murder of John T. Williams by officer Ian Birk.

amlevin

A crowded K-Mart? Where?

My local K-Mart is considered crowded when all the employees show up for work. Makes me wonder how they stay open.

As for the kid, a smack on the back of the head, delivered from the Father would have been really refreshing to see, no doubt. Expect to see it happen right after the Easter Bunny is proven to be real.

If I'd pulled that stunt when the same age, I'd be "assisted" out of the store by my Dad's right shoe. All the way to the car I'd be getting a reminder how stupid I was. To an observer it would have appeared that my Dad was walking on only his left leg while booting my ass with the other.

Ah, the good old days.

amlevin

Fact--Baby Rattlesnakes bites are more toxic than adult rattlers. In other words, they both kill.

sudden valley gunner

Fact--Baby Rattlesnakes bites are more toxic than adult rattlers. In other words, they both kill.

Good point but slight semantical correction. The venom isn't more toxic the baby rattlers don't have as much control over their venom as adult rattlers.....which would make your point even more poignant.

PistolPackingMomma

Actually, babies are not more toxic, and the output of their venom is less than an adults, since they are much smaller, and the venom sacs cannot hold as much volume as a mature snake. So they may inject more venom by percentage, but that doesn't mean they actually inject more than an adult is capable of.

But both are capable of causing death, given the right circumstances.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually, babies are not more toxic, and the output of their venom is less than an adults, since they are much smaller, and the venom sacs cannot hold as much volume as a mature snake. So they may inject more venom by percentage, but that doesn't mean they actually inject more than an adult is capable of.

But both are capable of causing death, given the right circumstances.

At least in this case, the female of the species is not more deadly than the male. :p

EMNofSeattle

As a factor yes, Im yet to hear about a 6 or 7 year old popping out of aisles on a busy shopping day with a loaded gun and start busting caps.

age of the potential aggressor can be a factor, as in if they're barely as tall as my waist they can probably be discounted as a threat for the most part

Stretch

I believe there used to be a blue law in Washington that forbid children from owning toy pistol. I can't find any historical blue law cites, but did see this in the Tri-City Herald the other day with a 1962 date.

Sent by Droid