• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got my CPL so do I still have to be a resident for 90 days to purchase a pistol?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...However, if the purchaser does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the waiting period under this subsection (1)(c) shall be up to sixty days....

Did I miss anything else, or does a Washington driver's license all by itself also waive the 90-day residency requirement? Which would make sense, as a driver's license is clear documentation of intent to maintain residency.

Looks to me like the mythical 90-day residency documentation would be if you were trying to use your utility bills to document residency, which is probably not even allowed anymore anyway!

amlevin

That's the truth, I've had one try to tell me that it's a federal offense to carry remanufactured HPs, and claimed his knowledge was based on what happened to his buddy.
I've found that a lot of gun store legal advice is based on urban legend. You know if you spray teflon on your bullets they go through bulletproof vests? That's why its a felony to spray cooking spray on your ammo.

The one I like, and seem to hear the most from Gun Shop Employees, is "Concealed Means Concealed. Your license is for a Concealed Pistol so if you have one you have to carry it Concealed?"

Like they say on TV "But WAIT, there's MORE!! It's not just Gun Store Employees but also a lot of so-called "Certified Handgun Instructors".

sirpuma

You cited voting regulations; that does not necessarily apply outside of voting. As mentioned, hunting license (and college tuition) residency requirements are probably on a time-delay also.

Is there a citation that shows handgun purchases require the same time-delay?

I've been reading several of your forms on-line, but don't see it.

If you notice, in order to register to vote, you have to be a resident and it indicates that to be a resident you have to be in state with an address for no less than 30 days and have a WA DL. And just so you could find the info in the link I shared, I also quoted their site on how to become a resident. :cool:

But just to work with the text from the law that Vitaeus quoted.

(c) Five business days, meaning days on which state offices are open, have elapsed from the time of receipt of the application for the purchase thereof as provided herein by the chief of police or sheriff designated in subsection (5) of this section, and, when delivered, the pistol shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded. However, if the purchaser does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the waiting period under this subsection (1)(c) shall be up to sixty days.

So IF you have a valid WA Driver's License, then you are a resident and don't have to be in state for 90 days.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If you notice, in order to register to vote, you have to be a resident and it indicates that to be a resident you have to be in state with an address for no less than 30 days and have a WA DL. And just so you could find the info in the link I shared, I also quoted their site on how to become a resident. :cool:

But just to work with the text from the law that Vitaeus quoted.

So IF you have a valid WA Driver's License, then you are a resident and don't have to be in state for 90 days.

Just these two statements from you indicate there is a difference. The residency requirements for voting are different than the residency requirements for purchasing a pistol, and are probably different still than the residency requirements for a hunting license or college tuition.

I thought we've already established that a WA ID is all you need to buy a pistol, exempting all time requirements. Whereas for voting, it does not.

Last edited:

sirpuma

Just these two statements from you indicate there is a difference. The residency requirements for voting are different than the residency requirements for purchasing a pistol, and are probably different still than the residency requirements for a hunting license or college tuition.

I thought we've already established that a WA ID is all you need to buy a pistol, exempting all time requirements. Whereas for voting, it does not.

The focus of my statements were not about voting but pointing out that to register to vote you must be a resident. I state what it takes to be a resident and provide links to definitions of resident. But I guess some folks can't ever get themselves past one little word to read the rest.

And not everyone who comes here and gets a place to live with their stuff is immediately a resident. I've known more than one who live in another state but come here for long contracts. And though they get an apartment to live in and bring some of their stuff to make their stay more comfortable, in six or nine months or a year they're moving back because the work contract is up.

The big one is getting the WA driver's license (one of the steps to establish residency per the state website I linked to). And since some don't like to click on links to read I'll quote from http://access.wa.gov/topics/living/becomeresident

Become a Resident

It's easy to become a Washington State resident; simply take some action that proves you intend to live in the state on more than a temporary or transient basis.
The following are a few examples of actions you can take to become a resident of Washington:

So both a DL and a Voter Registration card are valid proofs of residency (which is why I mentioned the voting bit). When I have customers come in, I have to have proof of residency in order to sell them a handgun. A CPL isn't proof of residency but is useable as a form of identification. I have to verify ID, address and residency of an individual in order to transfer a handgun or an "other". I can use more than one document but all documents must be government issued and at least one must be a photo ID. Documents I can use to verify identity are ID/DL, CPL, Voter Registration, Military Orders, Vehicle Registration. For non-WA CPLs to wave the waiting period they must be from a state that WA has reciprocity with. To verify residency I go by DL, Voter Registration, Military Orders. I have yet to have someone not have a WA DL or Military Orders come in claiming to be a resident in order to get a handgun.

Getting a DL is the easiest method of becoming a resident but registering to vote is just as easy. You don't have to be here for 30 days, just that you have to be here for 30 days BEFORE the next voting cycle in order to vote. And the "voting residency" mentioned in the link for voter registration is defined here http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=29A.04.151

RCW 29A.04.151

Residence.
"Residence" for the purpose of registering and voting means a person's permanent address where he or she physically resides and maintains his or her abode. However, no person gains residence by reason of his or her presence or loses his or her residence by reason of his or her absence:

One thing I don't really like about our State Pistol Transfer form is that is has a block for "how long you've been a resident" with lines for years and months. For those here less than a month I end up just putting "1" in the month, even though it's not accurate. I suppose I could leave it blank but generally don't like to.

Last edited:

sirpuma

Until I have been a resident for 90 days with a WA Driver's License or ID Card...

Not correct. Once you get the WA DL you're a resident. The 90 days is if you don't have a WA ID or Voter Registration. One of the blocks on the state pistol transfer form is "residency method" if you haven't been at the listed address for 90 days they want another address. I've found nothing to indicate you have to be in state for 90 days with a DL to be considered a resident. In fact I just did a transfer for a USN NCIC guy who's been here 29 days. He didn't have a CPL but did have his WA DL. We filled out the forms, I took them into the sheriff's office for the background check and I got his approval within a couple days. He ended up getting sent out of country for a week but when he got back everything was waiting for him.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The focus of my statements were not about voting but pointing out that to register to vote you must be a resident. I state what it takes to be a resident and provide links to definitions of resident. But I guess some folks can't ever get themselves past one little word to read the rest...

Believe it or not, "resident" means different things in different parts of the law. You can be a resident for buying a handgun, while not yet being a resident for voting. You can be a resident for voting, while not yet being a resident for a hunting license. You can be a resident for a hunting license even, and still not be a resident for college tuition.

Honestly, I don't know why you don't understand this. And instead of having any doubt whatsoever, you are quite rude in your wrong assertion while I am trying to politely show you your error.