• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amtrak

wrearick

Yea, they can't have an accidental discharge as the train derails and goes tumbling down the mountainside.

Why do you have to try and derail (pun intended) every post you comment on? The OP is asking a serious question on a forum he believes will give him honest, informed, and factual answers, and instead he gets smart alec responses and people responding to the smart alec. Please think twice on what you post and if that is really the sort of answer the OP deserves to a honest inquiry.

CitizenJohn

I was referring to this part:

any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter.

But, if others don't think it applies, perhaps it doesn't. The OP brought up "Intrastate" as opposed to "Interstate" which MAY change things , I guess one could ask.... or just wait until a court case arises due to this:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/video?id=8719613

Not to move the conversation away from the original Amtrak question, but given your Amtrak conclusions, do you think this particular USC would also apply to a common carrier like Greyhound Bus Lines? I have also checked their website and they have a "policy" of no guns - period. But just like Amtrak, there aren't any law references, nore is there any signage at the entry point, at least at the Portland, Oregon station. I wasn't able to check the bus at the entry door for signage.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Not to move the conversation away from the original Amtrak question, but given your Amtrak conclusions, do you think this particular USC would also apply to a common carrier like Greyhound Bus Lines? I have also checked their website and they have a "policy" of no guns - period. But just like Amtrak, there aren't any law references, nore is there any signage at the entry point, at least at the Portland, Oregon station. I wasn't able to check the bus at the entry door for signage.

I would argue it does. But, since I'm not an attorney and only post this for educational purposes, I can't say for sure.

Thundar

Yeah, I posted on this before - I am not aware of any federal statute banning carrying guns on AMTRAK though there may be a few states that ban train carry.

Sure, if found out, they could stop the train and tell you to get off.

Train carry is, I believe, a felony in Montana.

EMNofSeattle

there is a law against it, but it's not a felony. likely passed long before Amtrak existed

MCA 45-8-339

45-8-339. Carrying firearms on train -- penalty. (1) Except as authorized by the management of a railroad, it is unlawful for a person not authorized to carry a weapon in the course of the person's official duties to knowingly or purposely carry or transport firearms on a train in this state unless, prior to boarding, the person has delivered all firearms and ammunition, if any, to the operator of the train.
(2) A person violating this section shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $500 or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 6 months, or both.