• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This guy has my vote for Amelia County sheriff

celticredneck

This past weekend, Bruce Almarode, candidate for Amelia County sheriff dropped by my home to hand out some campaign information and to ask for my vote. I had just been awakened by him ringing the door bell after falling asleep watching the TV, so I wasn't totally with it right then. As a result, I did not ask him about his 2nd amendment policies. After all of the problems we had with the current sheriff when my wife applied for her CHP, I am looking for someone who more deserves my vote. After some thought, I sent him this email:

On your visit at my home, this past weekend, I neglected to ask your position on several issues which are important to myself and my family. First of all I am a member of The Virginia Citizen's Defense League, and an online "Open Carry" forum called open carry.org. As a group, we lobby for less stringent gun laws in Virginia.

Now for my questions:
1Do you support the second amendment?
2 Do you support open carry of handguns where legal in the County of Amelia?
3 Will you make sure that your deputies understand that it is legal and know how to respond to one of the rare calls about someone legally open carrying a firearm.?
4 Do you believe that there is a so called "gun show loop hole"?
5 Would you support "Constitutional carry" in Virginia?

Here is his reply which I received this morning:

Hi Jerry,
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions. First, yes, I wholeheartedly support the 2nd amendment. That is what has made America great. Without the right to bear arms, I doubt we would have a country now.
I certainly support legal open carry laws and the individual's right to carry a weapon. I firmly believe that legal gun ownership does more to prevent crimes than most people know.
My deputies will have to follow protocol laid out by the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission which will include that all citizens shall not be harassed or targeted while engaged in lawful activity, which includes the right to openly carry a weapon as provided in the Code of Virginia.
As far as the gun show loop hole, I have no issue with individuals trading or selling their property to another. If that activity is done at a gun show, so much the better! I understand what the lawmakers intent was on the background check, but I also know it could be done much quicker and with less inconvenience to the citizen. I myself, support less stringent gun laws and am concerned that it is an attempt to disarm the citizen. I have stated before, that if elected and ordered to collect guns, I would not do so, but rather run an ad in the paper stating that if you feel you want to turn your gun in, do so, if you don't, keep it polished and loaded. I will not bend to an unlawful, unconstitutional order from the Feds or anyone else. I would support constitutional carry in Virginia. I have no issue with an honest armed citizen. As I stated before, I am worried that some lawmakers will not rest until they disarm all of us and I will not stand for that.
I hope my responses give you some insight on my stance of gun ownership. I must also let you know though, that when a gun is in the midst of a call for service, I would instruct my deputies as I would myself, to make sure the weapon is secured until the call is resolved. I only add that for officer safety and human nature. It's not the gun that is the problem, but the person that may be behind it.
Thank you for the opportunity of responding to your questions and please feel free to contact me at any time.

Bruce Almarode

The only issue I have with his response is "The officer safety thing" but I can live with that if it is done as a request and not an order to give me your fire arm.

Anyhow, I think we have a winner here.

wylde007

I must also let you know though, that when a gun is in the midst of a call for service, I would instruct my deputies as I would myself, to make sure the weapon is secured until the call is resolved. I only add that for officer safety and human nature. It's not the gun that is the problem, but the person that may be behind it.
"Secure" has many meanings. Leaving it in plain sight and holstered is "secure" by some definitions.
The only issue I have with his response is "The officer safety thing" but I can live with that if it is done as a request and not an order to give me your fire arm.
A canard often posed to evade real issues - generally "bad" police work.

Keeping in mind that the Sheriff is an elected official and the highest acting Constitutional executive officer in a municipality - his deputies are appointed by him and their actions, unlike "police" reflect more on him than the municipal revenuer's counterparts.

He has a job to do, but also a job to keep. A police Chief only has to keep the mayor happy. A sheriff has to keep at least 51% of his jurisdiction's voting public happy.

2a4all

"Secure" has many meanings. Leaving it in plain sight and holstered is "secure" by some definitions.A canard often posed to evade real issues - generally "bad" police work.

Keeping in mind that the Sheriff is an elected official and the highest acting Constitutional executive officer in a municipality - his deputies are appointed by him and their actions, unlike "police" reflect more on him than the municipal revenuer's counterparts.

He has a job to do, but also a job to keep. A police Chief only has to keep the mayor happy. A sheriff has to keep at least 51% of his jurisdiction's voting public happy.
Of the elected Constitutional Officers of any political subdivision, (Commonwealth Attorney, Sheriff, Commissioner of the Revenue, Treasurer, and Circuit Court Clerk), why do you think that the Sheriff is the highest acting one?