• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB93 for dummies 6/9/11 edition

Da Po-lock

Yup, that line item veto gets me wondering.

Walker could really stick it to 'em it he struck out the training part.

Hell, if he did that I'd consider putting him in my will.

He'll need a few extra bucks someday cuz I think he will be flippin' burgers in a few months anyway.

..........Hopeful Po-lock

cleveland

Sorry. I should read rather then skim.

I really appreciate all you have been doing to keep a simple minded guy like myself up to speed. I salute you sir!

M

McX

car carry only on permit, or can weak Constitutional if you stay out of school zones?

treebound

Should that read "open carry in a car"?
Wonder where that leaves us lefties when a handgun is concealed by the car door.

I wonder if someone buys a firearm first if that will waive the background check requirement for the permit since the check would have been run for the purchase.

I'm also not liking the fee and time span since that might leave adjustments open to future administrations. I can see the 5 year fee becoming an annual fee and going to triple digits.

I wonder if the permit will cover glovebox and console carry in a car and tank bag loaded carry on a bike.

Guess I've got to dig up my other state training records if those will work since I'm also wondering what costs will be for training. I can easily see this running several hundred dollars for some folks.

Also, I'm wondering if a refresher course will be required for each renewal period.

And not that I'm anticipating this, but would a restraining order negate the permit until said restraining order be proven without merit?

Too many questions, guess I'll just sit back down on my heels and wait to see what the final signed version looks like once all is said and done.

Still feels a bit like I need permission and training to take a breath. Maybe that's just for concealed breathing.

Oh well, g'nite.

BROKENSPROKET

I remember a short time ago, there was a thread or more than about a trainer that was offering an out-of-state permit class and said it would be good once Wisconsin gets concealed carry. So I can use my Utah permit to satisfy the "training requirement". Such a "prophet", or was this in the works all along and withheld until the last moment. I smell conspiracy, but I don't know who the players are.

I smell conspiracy as well, but I will have to let it go because it's not worth it.

HandyHamlet

Someone on facebook brought up a good point I'm gonna tweak a bit.

So.

I pay for a background check and a permit is issued.

I am then exempt from the background requirement when purchasing firearms in the future. Right?

:banghead:

HandyHamlet

:uhoh:

We don't settle for just "great" around these parts.

"great" is for chumps.

:cool:

Last edited:
M

McX

* sorry Paul, redundant question, already answered above.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Paul, in your opinion how did veh. carry pan out?:

OC or CC, weak Constitutional, just stay out of the s'cool zones.

or

OC/CC veh. carry permit only?

In my opinion, vehicle carry is good (not excellent) with or without a permit. I really need to see the final wording because someone said that they were going to treat your car like your house and if so, the GFSZ wouldn't be an issue as long as the firearm STAYED IN YOUR CAR! If so, it would be EXCELLENT!

As I said, the proof is going to be in the pudding, hopefully it will get all the legalese figured out before Tuesday.

It so happens I will be in the Capital Tuesday. We shall see if I can watch the Senate work on this. It would be cool! I have a meeting at 10:00 (non gun related) and have to be in Milwaukee by 3:00 pm.

M

McX

because someone said that they were going to treat your car like your house and if so, the GFSZ wouldn't be an issue as long as the firearm STAYED IN YOUR CAR! If so, it would be EXCELLENT!

yes, see if you can nail this down further, 'cause then i question motorcycle carry, on hip, does that count as contained within for transport. lots of stupid questions from me. are you going on Sunday?

* i plan to wear my permit on a lanyard around my neck, so i'll look like a roadie concert goer for The Who.

Last edited:

protias

The only thing I really like about this bill is police can be ticketed for harassing you for carrying. Now, the question becomes, who gets that money? The state, county, city, or you?

Edit: Whoops, read it too fast. It was under Penalty If Law Enforcement Officer Uses Excessive Force Against Licensee.

Last edited:

Touchdown

I called the DOJ about reciprocity. They said that after the bill passes they will examine other states' permitting requirements to see if there is similar requirements, i.e. Florida, Utah, etc. I directed them to Florida and Utah's list of states with whom they have reciprocity for an easy guide.

While I lobbied for Constitutional Carry, I think this bill is a good compromise in that it does not make training or permitting onerous or too expensive. Personally, I have a Florida CCW permit. As a former military LEO, I was able to obtain the permit based on existing training; just like what this bill requires. The cost, however, was about $165 for 5 years (now 7 years). I can handle $50 for the permit in WI. If there is reciprocity like with FL and UT, I will not need to renew my Florida CCW permit.

As an aside, I am honestly surprised at the reaction of some people on some of the blogs. Perhaps they are trolls, but people are calling for Walker's and other Republican's recalls over not having passed constitutional carry. One person actually made reference to Nazi Germany because of permit requirements. People need to get a grip. So, because people need to get a permit that doesn't require fingerprinting, and minimal training, they want Doyle back?
For the people getting all apoplectic over this bill, go pitch a tent in Madison with the other zombies.

Touchdown

The only thing I really like about this bill is police can be ticketed for harassing you for carrying. Now, the question becomes, who gets that money? The state, county, city, or you?

Very interesting. Can you please cite where that is in the bill. LEOs will need to adjust their thinking over how to approach people legally carrying.