• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A year to get a permit? They are freaking nuts !

Rich B

So I will attend the next hearing and try to get my case heard on the spot ... if not, then a trip to the court for a writ would be in order.

Anyone can file an objection; anyone can file a writ. I have not seen anyone do this so it appears that people are happy waiting 1 yr. I'm not. And I'm willing to fight for an earlier hearing date.

This is the way to go for those who have the stomach for it.

brk913

you're wrong

I was told by the Department of public safety that "formal training" is going to the range, I have a written declaratory ruling to my questions from Thomas Hatfield, and attorney for public safety legal affairs also I was stopped at the board of firearms hearing by Douglas Hall, & LT Cassista, while he was still a state police officer. Aou can go to the range which is considered formal training with your pistol permit, . "Formal training" is going to a "state licensed range" not going out of the woods and exploding targets but if you go to a "state licenced range" that is considered "formal training by the Department of Public safety", they wrote me a letter stating that, otherwise I would've been arrested, I took my pistol to the airport with eligibility certificate and got on airplane when the Florida then brought the firearm back, that was clear to the department of public safety also. I even told him that when I was at the border firearms examiners and no one commented on it that I drove my pistol to the airport when I went to Florida, and even stated so at the board of firearms examiners during my hearing, and that was a non issue.

Never take advice on the law from a police officer. I suggest you contact a good firearms attorney to clarify this with you as what you have done is broken the law on several occassions and just have not gotten caught. If you have such a letter from the DPS legal division let's see it, scan it and put it up!!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Never take advice on the law from a police officer. I suggest you contact a good firearms attorney to clarify this with you as what you have done is broken the law on several occassions and just have not gotten caught. If you have such a letter from the DPS legal division let's see it, scan it and put it up!!!

I've been told by several police departments that if you have a handgun in your car w/o a permit then you will be arrested and you will go to jail and they will take the gun. It does not matter that that point what the law IS, that is what they DO. Plus the law says you need a permit to transport for any reason.

KIX

So I will attend the next hearing and try to get my case heard on the spot ... if not, then a trip to the court for a writ would be in order.

Anyone can file an objection; anyone can file a writ. I have not seen anyone do this so it appears that people are happy waiting 1 yr. I'm not. And I'm willing to fight for an earlier hearing date.

Good luck. I don't see it happening, but good luck.

The department will not be ready as it's not a scheduled hearing, the board won't have the case history to hear the case..... too many easy ways out on their end.

But I'll be interested, I'll see you there!

Usually the only guy writing notes (I also don't stand for the oath).

Jonathan

davidmcbeth

Banned
Good luck. I don't see it happening, but good luck.

My goal is for them to say, on the record, that my objections to the completion of their questionnaire will be heard on my tentative scheduled hearing date in MAR 13 .. then I can go to the courthouse and file my writ.