• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Stores

walter

I have OC'ed into Walmart and Kroger in Englewood, Ohio several times now. All of these have been uneventful and I'm thankful. I was in Kroger last night and had a white haired man with a VFW jacket on looked at my pistol and smile with approval. As he passed by me he patted me on the back and said "good for you young man. Way to stand up for yourself." I wasn't sure if he meant by open carrying or just the fact that I was carrying a weapon in general???? I guess I should have asked him???
There are some people out there that are not afraid of guns but I can honestly say I get more scared/dirty looks then I do looks of approval.

walter

Welcome.
Englewood, Ohio must be heaven compared to Dayton, Ohio. How does your police chief feel about OC????

I couldn't say for sure...I haven't run into any law enforcement situations yet??? If I do I'll be sure to post them.... Stay Tuned...LOL

IMWarthog

I am new here and apologize if my statements seem less informed than long-timers. The OP made mention of people being afraid of guns, and I have a thought on that.

I had a discussion with a neighbor who just retired from the SO. We were talking about the practice of many LEOs slapping a DC charge against OC'ers when nothing else fits. He states that the display of the gun is enough to charge. I disagree. People see guns all the time -- displayed by LEOs. So, it isn't the inanimate object (the gun) itself that gets folks agitated. So there would have to be some action beyond just carrying to constitute DC. He thought about that argument and said that he had to agree, but that without pressure from higher ups, he was sure the practice would continue. My point is that they fear what they think you might do with the gun on your side. It's not a rational fear, but it is there. The problem could be solved with education, but no one is interested in doing that. So it is up to us. We must be willing to face down the system and win the argument. If enough states, counties and municipalities get sued for infringement of rights, policy and practices will change. But probably not until then.

Last edited:

walter

I am new here and apologize if my statements seem less informed than long-timers. The OP made mention of people being afraid of guns, and I have a thought on that.

I had a discussion with a neighbor who just retired from the SO. We were talking about the practice of many LEOs slapping a DC charge against OC'ers when nothing else fits. He states that the display of the gun is enough to charge. I disagree. People see guns all the time -- displayed by LEOs. So, it isn't the inanimate object (the gun) itself that gets folks agitated. So there would have to be some action beyond just carrying to constitute DC. He thought about that argument and said that he had to agree, but that without pressure from higher ups, he was sure the practice would continue. My point is that they fear what they think you might do with the gun on your side. It's not a rational fear, but it is there. The problem could be solved with education, but no one is interested in doing that. So it is up to us. We must be willing to face down the system and win the argument. If enough states, counties and municipalities get sued for infringement of rights, policy and practices will change. But probably not until then.

There are several different arguments in that statement. Most LEO that I talk to claim that unless you know how to keep people from disarming you, the weapon is out there for the taking from a violent criminal. In other words you have to pay more attention to your surroundings when you OC. That is the biggest issue that I have found when talking to LEO. I believe that no matter where you are some people feel that guns make for a dangerous situation. Some people are scared to death of guns because they believe what the TV shows and news tell them. I would be willing to bet that if the media and the news channels started spreading the word that guns were "OK" then people would start believeing that and this would all be a mute point. I guess what I'm saying is that we are stupid enough to trust and believe in the media. We allow them to dictate what is socially acceptable.

rottman43055

Mabe their fear should wake them up to their own lack of preparedness for their own personal safety.

Also, bearing arms is a right, so they need to get over it.

Cops can charge all they want, their BS charges will not stick.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
2917.11 Disorderly conduct.

(A) No person shall recklessly cause inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm to another by doing any of the following:

(1) Engaging in fighting, in threatening harm to persons or property, or in violent or turbulent behavior;

(2) Making unreasonable noise or an offensively coarse utterance, gesture, or display or communicating unwarranted and grossly abusive language to any person;

(3) Insulting, taunting, or challenging another, under circumstances in which that conduct is likely to provoke a violent response;

(4) Hindering or preventing the movement of persons on a public street, road, highway, or right-of-way, or to, from, within, or upon public or private property, so as to interfere with the rights of others, and by any act that serves no lawful and reasonable purpose of the offender;

(5) Creating a condition that is physically offensive to persons or that presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property, by any act that serves no lawful and reasonable purpose of the offender.

This is not the complete section, but OC does not constitute DC.

trooper46

After the Cosco mess in Nevada, I'd be more afraid of what LEO do with their sidearms...... Citizens shouldn't be executed for having a side arm.

He was "executed" for a hell of alot more than "having a side arm" . Carry while under the influence and then not follow instructions and that's what happens.

Dreamer

He was "executed" for a hell of alot more than "having a side arm" . Carry while under the influence and then not follow instructions and that's what happens.

Under the influence of a prescribed medication for chronic pain due to a MAJOR back injury, and not following multiple sets of conflicting orders being shouted by multiple LEOs...

And the first shot was fired by LEOs less than 30 seconds after the first command was shouted...

And the first shot that hit him was in the armpit--BECAUSE HE HAD HIS HANDS IN THE AIR...

Lets get the story straight...

omalley576

Call to return to original discussion.

Whoa guys, let's stay on topic. The debate over the Costco issue is elsewhere. Bringing that up and debating facts and discussing the opinions of that here will completely hijack this thread. I respect and would love to hear all opinions on the Costco issue, but I'd certainly like this thread to stay what it is, which is a question and discussion on people's experiences with open carrying in various retail stores throughout Ohio. I'm relatively new here and I want to know what people are saying and doing about OC in OH... certainly not NV! :)

Here's the link to the Costco Nevada shooting thread.