• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

being called before the gun board

NHCGRPR45

well i am being called before the gun board, i had recently applied for a renewal of my CPL and they had my meeting on 10-22-10. when i called to ask if i needed to show i was informed that my license had a new expiration date and that i shouldn't have any problems at all. when i sent an email to the gun board to find out if i had been approved that monday moring i was told i was being called before the board.

i called today and asked why if i had been given a new expiration date then why would i have to appear before the board, the answer i recieved was:mad:

"we have recieved a letter from a local LEO and the board has called you before them, i do not have any more information about your application at this time, the board will send you a letter as to when your date to appear will be."

wonder which leo this was from ??? any guess's:banghead:

PDinDetroit

If you are OK with it, please post the date/time and directions as some may be interested and/or able to show up to support you.

At least you will be able to find out the LEO's Name and Department. This would be an excellent opportunity to provide the MSP Legal Update to both the Gun Board and to the LEO's Department.

When handed Lemons, make Lemonade!

budlight

I'm confused. Being that Michigan is a shall issue state, I thought that unless you are convicted or have charges pending for certain crimes, or have a mental condition that approval was required per law???

So does this mean if my girlfriend doesn't like me carrying she can write a letter to the board and I will have to appear? I'm just curious and confused on this.

PDinDetroit

I'm confused. Being that Michigan is a shall issue state, I thought that unless you are convicted or have charges pending for certain crimes, or have a mental condition that approval was required per law???

So does this mean if my girlfriend doesn't like me carrying she can write a letter to the board and I will have to appear? I'm just curious and confused on this.

I believe he is in Macomb County, it appears they have many people show up at the Gun Board for "questioning". :banghead:

Since he has not been charged with any crime, he should have nothing to worry about.

budlight

I believe he is in Macomb County, it appears they have many people show up at the Gun Board for "questioning". :banghead:

Since he has not been charged with any crime, he should have nothing to worry about.

So now we have a gun board that doesn't understand "shall issue" and thinks you have prove to them that you need and are worthy of a CPL?

Onnie

Short answer is YES, if needed they may call you in to answer the complaint.

Just last week when i was attending Monroe Countys board one cpl holder was required to appear before the gun board for a complaint made about him back in July for a incident in April, something the CPL holder said at the hearing never happened.

The boards answer to his being called in front of them when asked why, was basically, what if we did not investigate it fully and YOU did something wrong. How would the look for us.

They in the long run did not believe him, while not suppending his CPL right there, they did vote on a formal hearing for next month. Requiring both the accuser and the accused to attend, if he does not attend, reguardless of the outcome, they said they would suppend his CPL for failure to appear.

Since they SHALL ISSUE...in their eyes I guess they SHALL REVOKE if they see fit

please date and time of hearing if possiable

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

yes its a shall issue state, however the board can call you for anything, and yes if someone writes a letter to the board especially if that letter says something that could result in you looseing your license then yes i would venture to say that they would call you. wheather or not you lost your license due to that letter would depend on what you said to the board and what the boards mood was on that day.

they also have away around the issue even if you do meet all the requirements of the law, if they believe that you could pose a risk to yourself or others they can deny you a license.

and gun board have pulled in other OC'ers for how shall i say "challengeing the law" someone on this board was called before the board because he OC'ed into a hospital, i believe the the facts of the case were that he was there with somone he new, was challenged by hospital police and ended up placing his pistol in the car, he was informed that a letter would be sent to the board. he was called and had his license revoked, by the assistant PA on the board. he left and about 4 hours latter was called back by the board and had his license returned.

even though we know we have to have a conviction, the board can and will pull a CPL on nothing more than a whim.

if onnie i believe hadn't showed on his review date he would have had to appear later. i have sent an email asking if my current license is still valid i hope to find out sometime tomorrow, i will post any new information that i feel is relevant to this issue.

Onnie

if onnie i believe hadn't showed on his review date he would have had to appear later. i have sent an email asking if my current license is still valid i hope to find out sometime tomorrow, i will post any new information that i feel is relevant to this issue.[/QUOTE]
Yep, thing was, the County Clerk had my application for 40 days, knew from the day the fbi report came back there was a potental problem and NEVER sent me a letter. The clerk of the court who writes the adjenda and all the other remarks on the applications COULD have contacted me, to give me a heads up but never did. Guess its not in her job description.

Had I not shown up just because, I would still be waitting to be approved!

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

if onnie i believe hadn't showed on his review date he would have had to appear later. i have sent an email asking if my current license is still valid i hope to find out sometime tomorrow, i will post any new information that i feel is relevant to this issue.
Yep, thing was, the County Clerk had my application for 40 days, knew from the day the fbi report came back there was a potental problem and NEVER sent me a letter. The clerk of the court who writes the adjenda and all the other remarks on the applications COULD have contacted me, to give me a heads up but never did. Guess its not in her job description.

Had I not shown up just because, I would still be waitting to be approved![/QUOTE]

well i meet all the requirements, and my thinking is that they will try to pull "the danger to others and self"

especially since i have no trouble challengeing the way poor police work is done.

however i will give the board the benefit of doubt, it may not be the PD i believe it is that the lady referred to it could be any number of departments i have given my license to. who knows, maybe its because i match some criminal description i am not aware of. we shall see won't we.

i hope its nothing and i am approved for my renewal, i would hate to interupt my 11 years of CPL coverage.

malignity

Your service should be an asset to you.

If they deny you, just remind them that it is an open carry state, and that their decision will do little to deter you from exercising your RKBA.

+1. Tell them to give you the ability to conceal, because otherwise you will simply open carry wherever you go and there's nothing they can do about it.

If they have the balls to say "we're working on getting open carry banned in Michigan" remind them that YOU are working on getting all CPL issuance to be handled by the SOS.

Michigander

wonder which leo this was from ??? any guess's:banghead:

Yes, and if it's the one we both know I have reason to suspect, please call or PM me when you find out.

Make good and sure you secure a copy of the document you're being called in because of.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

well there is no more issue, the gun board had left a message for me today saying i will no longer need to appear, in fact my license was sent on the 23 of this month. and i should recieve it soon. they also said to disregard the other letter to appear before the board. i didn't get home in time to call back but i will do so tomorrow.

i will post the response i get.

thank you to all who supported me, i appreciate it greatly! THANK YOU!