• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to The website

Kindyj

I just wanted to introduce myself as i am a strong supporter of open carry and have been doing so for about a year now. I'm 19 years old and currently live in Kalamazoo and attending Western Michigan University. I attended the open carry picnic in Wyandotte last year that was a huge success in my book.

I would like to hold an open carry picnic in Kalamazoo during the upcoming summer. I want to show the students of this city that carrying a pistol does not make you a criminal. I am hoping to become the campus leader at WMU of "Students for concealed carry on campus." I'm hoping to push legislation through that is in committee that would allow for concealed carry on campus and several other locations.

SlowDog

Welcome aboard! I too support this because of all the mass shootings in schools over the last several decades they could've been stopped by law abiding citizens carrying whether it be teacher or students...just saying

Kindyj

I'm really working on the Campus carry the most. I've been doing an empty holster protest to try and create awareness with a good result. The school has an ROTC program. So i have many supporters.

DanM

Welcome aboard! All I can advise is that you read, read read.

And I advise "one step at a time" in the sense of picking the places you OC. Start by OC'ing on your property while doing yardwork or something, then work your way up to other places, adding one place at a time. As you contemplate adding places, review the law to be sure it's legal and come on here and ask questions if you are not sure.

Welcome aboard!

xmanhockey7

I just wanted to introduce myself as i am a strong supporter of open carry and have been doing so for about a year now. I'm 19 years old and currently live in Kalamazoo and attending Western Michigan University. I attended the open carry picnic in Wyandotte last year that was a huge success in my book.

I would like to hold an open carry picnic in Kalamazoo during the upcoming summer. I want to show the students of this city that carrying a pistol does not make you a criminal. I am hoping to become the campus leader at WMU of "Students for concealed carry on campus." I'm hoping to push legislation through that is in committee that would allow for concealed carry on campus and several other locations.

Nice to hear there is someone else in Kalamazoo open carrying. I'm 18 and started open carrying during the summer a little after my 18th birthday. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat or get my number.

blasmat

WMU Concealed Carry

I am new to this site, having registered just a few moments ago after stumbling across this thread while searching for information on this exact topic. I am also a WMU student, and despite the fact that I will be graduating at the end of this semester, I would be very interested in lending a hand if you do indeed start a WMU chapter of Concealed Carry on Campus.
I have just recently started carrying regularly, and am reminded every time I go to class that everyone there would be helpless if a Virginia Tech sort of incident occurred. Even smaller-scale threats are more than reason enough for concern; last semester, while I was studying in the library, there were two armed robberies on campus, and over the past few years there have been numerous incidents of multiple attackers (7 or 8 in one instance, if I recall correctly) mugging and beating students who were walking back to their dorms. There was a bill (Michigan Senate Bill 747) proposed in 2009 intended to remove college dormitories and classrooms from the list of pistol-free zones, thus allowing CPL holders to carry on campus, but obviously it was ineffectual.
Glad to see there are other WMU students concerned about being unprotected on the property on which we end up spending the majority of our time. You have my support, Kindyj.

Bearhawk

I work in Kzoo, let me know how I can help. I carry there occasionally (both OC and CC) but not at work. My employer will fire me if I even have a gun in the car on their property. I hope we can get something like other states saying they need to respect my private property (my car). Indiana recently did this.

xmanhockey7

I am new to this site, having registered just a few moments ago after stumbling across this thread while searching for information on this exact topic. I am also a WMU student, and despite the fact that I will be graduating at the end of this semester, I would be very interested in lending a hand if you do indeed start a WMU chapter of Concealed Carry on Campus.
I have just recently started carrying regularly, and am reminded every time I go to class that everyone there would be helpless if a Virginia Tech sort of incident occurred. Even smaller-scale threats are more than reason enough for concern; last semester, while I was studying in the library, there were two armed robberies on campus, and over the past few years there have been numerous incidents of multiple attackers (7 or 8 in one instance, if I recall correctly) mugging and beating students who were walking back to their dorms. There was a bill (Michigan Senate Bill 747) proposed in 2009 intended to remove college dormitories and classrooms from the list of pistol-free zones, thus allowing CPL holders to carry on campus, but obviously it was ineffectual.
Glad to see there are other WMU students concerned about being unprotected on the property on which we end up spending the majority of our time. You have my support, Kindyj.

I am from Kalamazoo but go to school at Ferris. I guess there is a MI attorny looking for ideas about suggested new pro gun laws. I plan on emailing him talking about campus carry, removing the liquor licence pfz and lowering the cpl age.