• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Runs the Humane Society

stainless1911

Banned
I was wondering who is in charge of the Humane Society. I haven't been there yet, but I was thinking about it, and wondered whether they have the authority to ban firearms. I assume they will not want me to OC there. Is this a private thing, state, local?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I was wondering who is in charge of the Humane Society. I haven't been there yet, but I was thinking about it, and wondered whether they have the authority to ban firearms. I assume they will not want me to OC there. Is this a private thing, state, local?
Well the national society hates hunting and fishing and supports all bans on hunting and fishing. I don't know their stance on guns, but based on these issues I wouldn't be surprised.

They are a private organization and can ban guns.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/campaigns/wildlife_abuse/

About Us: Overview

The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest and most effective animal protection organization—backed by 11 million Americans, or one in every 28. Established in 1954, The HSUS seeks a humane and sustainable world for all animals—a world that will also benefit people. We are America's mainstream force against cruelty, exploitation and neglect, as well as the most trusted voice extolling the human-animal bond.
"Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)"
The Humane Society of the United States, commonly known as "HSUS", is the largest anti-hunting and animal rights organization in the United States, with headquarters in Washington, DC.
About their involvement in Maine:
"The HSUS and Maine Citizens for Fair Bear Hunting are joining forces to stop the cruel practice of bear baiting, hounding and trapping in Maine." – HSUS Website 2003.
The following news release was published by the Bangor Daily News, and is also repeated on the Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting’s ("CASH") website:
"A coalition of groups including The Humane Society of the United States, Maine Friends of Animals, the Fund for Animals and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals have joined in a campaign to put a referendum on the ballot in November 2004 to ban bear baiting, hunting bears with dogs and the use of bear traps in Maine. To this end, the Humane Society of the United States and Maine Friends of Animals have formed a political action committee called Maine Citizens for Fair Bear Hunting."
As of September 30, 2003, HSUS had contributed 60% of the funding for the referendum campaign in Maine. Its partner, the Fund for Animals, had contributed another 19%.
"Against All Hunting – In their Own Words"
Here it is - HSUS wants to stop ALL sport hunting, not just bear hunting, in the words of their leader, and from their own website:
"If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would." – Wayne Pacelle, as quoted by the Associated Press in Impassioned Agitator, December 30, 1991.
"Our goal is to get sport hunting in the same category as cock fighting and dog fighting." – Wayne Pacelle, as quoted in the Bozeman Daily Chronicle, October 8, 1991.
"Sport hunting—the killing of wild animals as recreation—is fundamentally at odds with the values of a humane, just and caring society." – HSUS Website 2003.
"All Hunting of Any Species"
The HSUS wants to stop hunting for all species and for all methods, not just hunting bear with bait and dogs. Their own words are very clear:
About Bow Hunting - They hate bow hunting, saying that bow hunters use "Brutally inhumane weapons such as the bow and arrow."
About Different Species (including ducks, game birds, rabbits, coyotes) - Which animal species will be next on the referendum list? Perhaps they will start with their own list of species that they believe do not need population control:
"The vast majority of species that are hunted—waterfowl, upland birds, mourning doves, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, crows, coyotes, etc.—provide minimal sustenance and do not require population control." – HSUS Website 2003.
More about waterfowl and game bird hunting – HSUS believes that all bird hunting must be stopped, that it is a wasteful, cruel sport:
"Duck hunters often exceed their bag limits or kill protected species because most hunters cannot identify the species of duck that they shoot." – HSUS Website 2003.
"Waterfowl, pheasant and dove hunting are no more than shooting at living targets." – HSUS Website 2003.
In fact, HSUS has recently launched a nationwide campaign to stop all pheasant hunting – claiming that pheasant stocking programs should be ended. Not only is it a threat to hunting, but also to almost all sport fishing as they lay the ground work against put-and-take fishing and fish stocking programs.
"The pheasant hunt has…developed into a pathetic blend of factory farming and canned hunting…the "sport" is non-existent…makes a mockery of ethical field conduct." – HSUS Website 2003.
"Who is the Humane Society of the United States?"
HSUS raises $65 million each year, and has total assets of over $100 million. This huge pot of money goes toward a continual barrage of political campaigns and lobbying to stop hunting and trapping – with almost zero being contributed toward caring for lost or abandoned pets (less than 1.8% given to local programs – and even then mostly for anti-hunting and anti-trapping political campaigns like Maine’s Bear referendum.
In addition, HSUS partners with many other radical animal rights groups to share the financing for their anti-hunting campaigns. Their partners include the Fund for Animals, the International Fund for Animal Welfare, and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).
As a charity, HSUS has often been criticized by watchdog groups for its wastefully high fundraising expenses, and for misrepresenting who and what they are. HSUS has also been criticized for the huge salaries of its very well paid campaign managers and organizers – the top managers receive over $200,000 in annual salary!
Even Merritt Clifton, publisher of "Animal People", a newsletter written by animal rightists for animal rightists, singled out HSUS for appearing to be something it is not. In December’s 11th annual report on fundraising, under the heading "How they fool the world", he writes:
"The most misleading appeals that Animal People sees on a regular basis are those which misrepresent the sender. Over time, such appeals can create an image for an organization which is sharply at odds with what it actually does."
"The Humane Society of the U.S., for instance, is not and never has been a collective voice for all, most, or any other humane societies. Neither does it shelter animals, adopt out animals, neuter animals, or share funding with local humane societies. In fact, HSUS is an advocacy organization representing just itself."
Many of HSUS’ leaders have been radical anti-hunting activists all their life. A large portion of the current HSUS leaders came from extreme groups like People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), the Fund for Animals, Animal Liberation Front, and other organizations.
Cutting Through the Double-talk!
In a 1992 debate on WJNO Radio in West Palm Beach, Florida, Wayne Pacelle, currently HSUS Vice President for Campaigns, then representing the Fund for Animals, admitted his goal to ban ALL hunting. Here is a portion of his statements in that interview:
Interviewer: "Where would your organization support Black Bear hunting - anywhere in the United States?"
Pacelle: "Nowhere"
Interviewer: "Where does your organization support the hunting of deer - anywhere in the United States?"
Interviewer: "Where, in the United States, does your organization support any hunting of any species?"
Interviewer: "So the real agenda and goal of Fund For Animals is a total ban on all hunting everywhere?"
Pacelle: "Yes."
Interviewer: "So all this debate about whether or not the Black Bear is threatened or endangered and the actual number of Black Bear that we have in Florida is really irrelevant sincethe goal of your organization is to ban all hunting everywhere?"
Pacelle: "Yes"
About HSUS’ Plans and Strategy to Stop All Hunting - Here’s what Wayne Pacelle, HSUS Senior Vice President, had to say:
"We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States… We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state." – Wayne Pacelle, quoted in an interview published in the magazine Full Cry, October 1990.
About Wayne Pacelle – He is a radical animal rights fanatic, who follows the "Vegan" religion – eat vegetarian, wear no animal products, and hold animals above all humans. One of his ultimate goals is to force all mankind to eat vegetarian. However, he ignores the fact that billions of birds, mammals, bison, rodents, insects and other animals are displaced, even made nearly extinct, as land is used up to grow the favorite vegetarian crops like soy beans and wheat instead leaving the land as healthy, natural wildlife habitat.
"For the sake of animals, there’s nothing more powerful than changing your diet." - 1998 interview with Pacelle by Erik Marcus published on www.vegan.com.
In college (Yale), he formed an anti group, the Student Animal Rights Coalition, where "we protested deer hunting."
Pacelle started another anti group in Connecticut, the Animal Rights Alliance. He even used animal rights issues when he ran for city council as a Green Party candidate.
As National Director of the Fund For Animals, he claims that he "did a lot of work on wildlife issues, particularly against sport hunting." His specialty there seemed to be hunter harassment:
"We did a lot of field protests against hunting where we would walk with hunters and talk with them about hunting. And in the process they were seldom able to make a kill (the distraction and six people tromping with a hunter scared away the animals). We also challenged the constitutionality of state hunter harassment laws." – 1998 interview with Pacelle by Erik Marcus published on www.vegan.com.
Pacelle’s preferred state referendum tactics include:
"Tabling, hosting house parties, and distributing literature near polling sites are all essential ingredients of a successful statewide initiative." - 1998 interview with Pacelle by Erik Marcus published on www.vegan.com.
Ultimately, he views humans as the big problem, and Nazi-like population control as the means to place animals above people:
"Human population growth is ultimately one of the most significant that we as a movement have to grapple with." - 1998 interview with Pacelle by Erik Marcus published onwww.vegan.com.
Pacelle doesn’t even want you to have pets, and not only wants to ban all pet breeding, he wants pets to be extinct:
"We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding." – Animal People News, May 1, 1993.

choover

I dont think you posted about the correct humane society. The one you posted is a anti hunting group with a name intended to confuse people. I read about them in a gun magazine where they posted carrie underwood donated a portion of her sales to them thinking they were the Humane society when in fact they were a anti hunting group

Mitchell

Michigan Humane Society

Is a non profit organization that deals with Humane treatment of companion animals which is related to the American Humane Society.

Please do not confuse them with the Humane Society of the US which I see as the non-militant version of PETA.

for more information visit http://humanewatch.org/

I was going to try to adopt meat pen rabbits at the local shelter, but the Mrs told me not to.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I dont think you posted about the correct humane society. The one you posted is a anti hunting group with a name intended to confuse people. I read about them in a gun magazine where they posted carrie underwood donated a portion of her sales to them thinking they were the Humane society when in fact they were a anti hunting group

This is true. Most local Humane Societies are local 501c(3) organizations... they are private, locally owned and operated by a benevolent organization, and have nothing to do with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). From what I understand, HSUS started as a typical society but was infiltrated during the 70's by "animal rights" individuals... and the focus has turned from the typical focus of humane societies into something that can be termed pure "animal rights".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humane_Society_of_the_United_States

Venator

Post the correct one then. This is the national Humane Society, they are very anti-hunting. There are lots of state humane society that may or may not be associated with the national org.

NHCGRPR45

AACGHH! hairball. ---> see shauns avatar :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb-q2oUV8xU&feature=related

Take that HSUS!

And stainless my cat knows better than to eat a fur coat! However he does like wabbitss, be very very quiet, he's hunting!

On a more OT encounter, I and another very well known member, and his then lady friend went to a detroit humane society. We parked and noticed an unarmed security guard who noticed we were armed he waved and opened the door for us. We walked in were "checked in" and allowed to walk around the addoption area pick a VERY cute floppy eared dog. We went back out to the waiting area and sat down, a badge wearing employee came out and asked if we were cops or something to that effect we said no.

My friend was directed to remove his gun then he could come back. We made eye contact and I said I would stay with "J" his lady friend. He left, "J" elbowed me and said I had to take my gun out also. I said I hadn't been asked to leave. He returned and they went and met the dog. I stayed up front in my chair. They came back up and when I stood back up the badge wearing employee got kinda red faced and we left. The guard waved at us as we left.

We then went to the Humane Society in Macomb County the one by the jail. He and "J" had an appointment to have his dog and the prospective new dog meet we also had a demon possessed cat he had trapped with us. (I have a video about how this cat acted but we'll get to that in a moment.) We went in OC he delivered said demon and the new dog was brought out they never once said anything about us being armed.

here's the demon cat. the cat we had acted just like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF8fPkV9HNc&feature=related

eastmeyers

I have OC'd at the Detroit branch of the Michigan Humane Society, I would have at the Rochester Hills branch but I never took my coat off. But I now have my BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL German Shepard/Husky mix!

No problems! I was even asked if I wanted to fill out an application to be an "animal cop", by the lady that is on Animal Cops Detroit! LOL Never called back for the interview.

Onnie

The Michigan Humane Society is a charitable 501(c) 3 animal welfare organization and is the largest and oldest such organization in the state, caring for more than 100,000 animals each year. EIN/Tax ID # 38-1358206.

off of their web sites

Haman J.T.

Thanks Brian, I knew they were bad, but wow.

Im buying a rabbit fur lined hat tomorrow for 30$, hahahaha
The NRA exposed HSUS years ago as a warehouse of pamphlets and such that they mail out to get money.Virtualy nothing to do with stray dogs and cats.They and other animal rights groups have been making billions off our taxes every year,suing the government and winning due to technicalities.They file hundreds of suits together in packets(all at the same time) and due to the fact that it takes our gov too long to respond,they miss deadlines and lose the cases.So if they fight it,it costs millions in legal fees.If it cost less to settle they pay em off,due to some liberal laws that were passed.The "Open EAJA Act of 2010" has been introduced to stop these frivilous animal rights suits.These groups have dozens of lawyers collecting fees in these suits that the US Fish and Wildlife and other governmental agencies have to pay because of these fraudulent environmental laws!

a2fireball

Yes, I would agree with most here. The HSUS has been heavily infiltrated by PETA. Local humane societies each have their own bylaws which may or may not be ultra liberal...it depends. On a national level, the ASPCA is more mainstream and not very PETA like, AFAK.

Venator

I wonder why these local humane societys don't have a large disclaimer on their websites stating they are not affiliated with HSUS and don't share their views. Or perhaps they do and enjoy the national organization and their policies.