• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18yrs and OCing...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

punisherprice

Found really good price on .32 S&W Long in quantity (500) - works out to under $15 per 50 rds.
They have .32 H&R mag, 20 rd box for the same price.
Still need to add shipping cost though.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/pistol-ammo-32-sw-long
Thanks for the help! :cool: I actually buy from www.midwayusa.com because I'm only 18 and they allow it and most companies want you to be 21. I got 50 .32 Longs for $15, but they're russian-made. More like plinking rounds than defense. I have 7.65mm rounds from Fiocchi, but i heard that there is a slight difference in 7.65 and .32acp. One jams in the other maybe because of the slight rim? idk. it fits snug in my cylinder pretty well. My .32mags are from Black Hills ammo. I also had a little question...would a .32 long do more damage to an attacker with slower moving Lead-nosed .32's or faster moving hollow-point .32 mags? I understand it is winter and more layers of clothing with defeat the speed somewhat of the round.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the help! :cool: I actually buy from www.midwayusa.com because I'm only 18 and they allow it and most companies want you to be 21. I got 50 .32 Longs for $15, but they're russian-made. More like plinking rounds than defense. I have 7.65mm rounds from Fiocchi, but i heard that there is a slight difference in 7.65 and .32acp. One jams in the other maybe because of the slight rim? idk. it fits snug in my cylinder pretty well. My .32mags are from Black Hills ammo. I also had a little question...would a .32 long do more damage to an attacker with slower moving Lead-nosed .32's or faster moving hollow-point .32 mags? I understand it is winter and more layers of clothing with defeat the speed somewhat of the round.

Google "ballistic tests on .32 ammo" - there is a goodly amount of info there.

punisherprice

Google "ballistic tests on .32 ammo" - there is a goodly amount of info there.
I see a lot of bashing going on. ".32's are mouse guns" and such. Maybe because the .32 long doesn't come in a polymer frame that it is automatically worthless. my opinion is I have five shots(i run an empty chamber under my hammer) so make 'em count, instead of 18+1 spray and pray. Not talking down on people who love capacity but it seems people are that way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I see a lot of bashing going on. ".32's are mouse guns" and such. Maybe because the .32 long doesn't come in a polymer frame that it is automatically worthless. my opinion is I have five shots(i run an empty chamber under my hammer) so make 'em count, instead of 18+1 spray and pray. Not talking down on people who love capacity but it seems people are that way.

Given a choice, bigger is better - right after shot placement.

With all due respect, .32 cal is less in all respects than .380 - will .22 work? - of course just not as efficiently.

There is a well known story around here (goggle Golden Market) wherein a good guy defended against a determined attacker - GG used a SA "mouse gun."
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77796-The-Golden-Market-Shooting

http://www.wtvr.com/wtvr-shooting-golden-food-market-090711,0,2691670.story

The Big Guy

Much also depends on the person. For instance in getting a carry firearm for the wife, I ended up with a Ruger LCR using 125 grain LRN at fairly low pressure. The reasoning is she just plain has a "fear" of the excessive punch and noise of the +P's that it will handle. In other words she can't hit the broad side of a barn with hot loads. Yes, with practice she can work up to the more potent rounds but we just haven't got there yet. My belief is that a .22 LR is a far supperior weapon to a .45 if you can punch a single hole with the first and not hit diddley with the latter. Besides, You get right down to it, the "mouse" rounds have dispatched many a varmint, 4 and 2 legged, in it's day. There are other considerations too such as comfort. I have tried on occasion or two to carry my Security Six and found it to be awkward and heavy. Is it far superior to the 2inch snubbie I carry now, yep, but the smaller is more comrortable to wear and causes less notice by the unwashed. I like the feel, or lack thereof, when carrying the LCR. Hardly notice it's there. The problem I have is I like to have a bit of heft in my hand when I shoot so I carry the much heavier Taurus 2 inch in .357 mag. I do use a big round in it too. I shoot a hand load of max pressure rounds with Nosler 180 grn partition full metal hollow points. Would not like a day of shooting with that combo but for taking care of the bad guys, for me it's no problem.

Bottom line, there is no perfect carry rig/firearm. I'd have no problem wih a .32 cal.

TBG

28kfps

Much also depends on the person. For instance in getting a carry firearm for the wife, I ended up with a Ruger LCR using 125 grain LRN at fairly low pressure. The reasoning is she just plain has a "fear" of the excessive punch and noise of the +P's that it will handle. In other words she can't hit the broad side of a barn with hot loads. Yes, with practice she can work up to the more potent rounds but we just haven't got there yet. My belief is that a .22 LR is a far supperior weapon to a .45 if you can punch a single hole with the first and not hit diddley with the latter. Besides, You get right down to it, the "mouse" rounds have dispatched many a varmint, 4 and 2 legged, in it's day. There are other considerations too such as comfort. I have tried on occasion or two to carry my Security Six and found it to be awkward and heavy. Is it far superior to the 2inch snubbie I carry now, yep, but the smaller is more comrortable to wear and causes less notice by the unwashed. I like the feel, or lack thereof, when carrying the LCR. Hardly notice it's there. The problem I have is I like to have a bit of heft in my hand when I shoot so I carry the much heavier Taurus 2 inch in .357 mag. I do use a big round in it too. I shoot a hand load of max pressure rounds with Nosler 180 grn partition full metal hollow points. Would not like a day of shooting with that combo but for taking care of the bad guys, for me it's no problem.

Bottom line, there is no perfect carry rig/firearm. I'd have no problem wih a .32 cal.

TBG

Do you use your reloads in your carry firearm? One of the trainers I had some years back suggested never to use your own reloads for your carry gun. This was his reason, if one found themselves in the unfortunate situation of having to use lethal force and is sued; the lawyers may argue the loads were specially made to kill that one person. I believe common sense to most here is this thought is asinine, as the whole idea is to stop such person with lethal force when require and allowed.
With that said, I could almost see some anti gun hotshot lawyer pulling this angle to hopefully influence what brain dead anti gun jurors or judge that might be involved in such a suite. In no way am I trying to suggest what ammo one should carry just sharing some info.
Back to the subject if a 32 has enough whoop-ass. There is an old and often said cliché. It is better to have any caliber when a firearm is needed. The wrong firearm, would be the best, most powerful carry firearm the owner leaves locked up at home because it does not fit their carry needs or they are unwilling to carry because it is too big, too small, or too uncomfortable.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I remember hearing that advice many times over the years, too. But honestly, I've come to disagree. Not only have I not heard of a case where reloaded ammo became a significant issue, but if the other lawyer starts bringing the ammo into the question, I think it's a good sign he's about to lose.

I will not give advice one way or the other. But I do make it known that I carry my own personal reloads in my defensive sidearm. There is a point to be made that the ammo I carry for defense is the exact same FMJ reloaded ammo I practice with.

In my fantasy, I might inadvertently point out that a perp wasn't worth expensive ammunition.

FMJ is easier to get away with in a .45, though.

As for economics, reloading hollow-points is a MUCH greater savings over factory than reloading FMJ or lead practice and target ammo.

If one lives in an area where ammo is more likely to come up in a civil suit, then I might suggest finding out what brand the local cops carry, unless you live in New Jersey.

28kfps

Thanks for the input. I too have never heard of reloads being a deciding factor.

The Big Guy

Do you use your reloads in your carry firearm? One of the trainers I had some years back suggested never to use your own reloads for your carry gun. This was his reason, if one found themselves in the unfortunate situation of having to use lethal force and is sued; the lawyers may argue the loads were specially made to kill that one person. I believe common sense to most here is this thought is asinine, as the whole idea is to stop such person with lethal force when require and allowed.
With that said, I could almost see some anti gun hotshot lawyer pulling this angle to hopefully influence what brain dead anti gun jurors or judge that might be involved in such a suite. In no way am I trying to suggest what ammo one should carry just sharing some info.
Back to the subject if a 32 has enough whoop-ass. There is an old and often said cliché. It is better to have any caliber when a firearm is needed. The wrong firearm, would be the best, most powerful carry firearm the owner leaves locked up at home because it does not fit their carry needs or they are unwilling to carry because it is too big, too small, or too uncomfortable.

I sure do. I want the best ammo I can get in my carry firearm. The idea is to reliably dispatch the threat now and worry about the lawyers later. I can't buy ammo better than I can manufacture. Remember that a lawyer is also going to bring up that a person shot to kill rather than just "wing'em", and if I'm forced to shoot I sure as heck am shooting to kill. If you carry less formidable rounds and have to unload they are going to get on you about how many shots you fired. You can't win with a lawyer. They will use any silly statement they can to try to win. Maybe that's why Shakespeare said "kill all the lawyers".

TBG

28kfps

I sure do. I want the best ammo I can get in my carry firearm. The idea is to reliably dispatch the threat now and worry about the lawyers later. I can't buy ammo better than I can manufacture. Remember that a lawyer is also going to bring up that a person shot to kill rather than just "wing'em", and if I'm forced to shoot I sure as heck am shooting to kill. If you carry less formidable rounds and have to unload they are going to get on you about how many shots you fired. You can't win with a lawyer. They will use any silly statement they can to try to win. Maybe that's why Shakespeare said "kill all the lawyers".

TBG

Cannot argue with that. I wonder if Shakespeare was a Republican?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I sure do. I want the best ammo I can get in my carry firearm. The idea is to reliably dispatch the threat now and worry about the lawyers later. I can't buy ammo better than I can manufacture. Remember that a lawyer is also going to bring up that a person shot to kill rather than just "wing'em", and if I'm forced to shoot I sure as heck am shooting to stop. If you carry less formidable rounds and have to unload they are going to get on you about how many shots you fired. You can't win with a lawyer. They will use any silly statement they can to try to win. Maybe that's why Shakespeare said "kill all the lawyers".

TBG

Fixed it for you - shows no predisposition that can be used against you.