• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommendation on Carry...

Tactical_Evo

I (and a couple of friends) attended a class at Center Sports in Columbia, and we were told this info regarding where we couldn't carry.

Leverdude

Its getting harder to defend but for a long time nobody knew OC was legal and there was alot of other missinformation out there. People didnt know I think, so made up things that made sense to them or were the law someplace else. That happened long enough that we just believed it. I think the internet more than anything else let the word get out. I know I never would have ever looked up statutes & ordinances or tracked legislation like I can now. Contact with legislators themselves & trying to know what they were doing was tough. Now, with places like this info is disseminated easy & efficiently. Not sure if Rich remembers but I thought sure he'd be getting arrested & the OCers getting headlines. But its just no big deal.
The stuff about bars & PDs I think is just like concealed carry was. But theres no excuse anymore for instructors to not know. Not in my opinion anyway, I can understand some unconnected people not being up to date, but if your going to teach & talk about the laws you need to pay attention.

Rich B

I (and a couple of friends) attended a class at Center Sports in Columbia, and we were told this info regarding where we couldn't carry.

The stuff about bars & PDs I think is just like concealed carry was. But theres no excuse anymore for instructors to not know. Not in my opinion anyway, I can understand some unconnected people not being up to date, but if your going to teach & talk about the laws you need to pay attention.

Well, you couldn't be more correct.

http://centersportsct.com/html/nra_pistol_course.html said:
We offer the NRA Pistol Safety Course on Sundays. This class is needed to obtain a Connecticut Concealed Carry Permit.

Rich B

We have sent an email to them.

Greetings,
I am receiving reports that students in your classes are taught a few points that are at issue with the laws of Connecticut and I am hoping to address them with you.

Issues:
1) Connecticut has a 'concealed carry permit'.
2) It is illegal to carry in a government building.
3) It is illegal to carry in a bar.

Corrections:
1) Connecticut is not a concealed carry state. Our laws have no concealment requirement and do not have language or definitions for concealment. Therefore, the choice of whether or not to conceal a firearm is purely a personal choice. There are lots of people (myself included) who have carried unconcealed all over Connecticut for years as a matter of routine. This is mentioned on your website as well: http://centersportsct.com/html/nra_pistol_course.html
You can learn more about our lack of concealment requirements here: http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Unconcealed

2) It is not necessarily illegal to carry in a 'government' building. It is against Federal law to carry on the property of a Federal building (perfect example being USPS). It is against state law to carry into any building where the legislature meets (Capitol, LOB), and if you are a state worker or contractor for the state, you may not carry on state owned property. There is also a DEP regulation against carry into state parks. Other state property is fine to carry in (DMVs for instance), and there are a lot of those places.

3) It is not at all illegal to carry into a bar (concealed or otherwise). The only law even close to this is carrying while intoxicated and it allows for a BAC of .10 which is higher than our DUI laws.

I hope you will consider working with us to get the correct information out there. We offer lots of resources to help both trainers and permit applicants/holders to get better educated on the laws in Connecticut, including our website: http://ctcarry.com

Most of the information above should be covered under 'Common Questions'. We can also offer free one on one support for any of your staff to help with any questions or issues that they may have.

Thank you,
Rich Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203.208.9577
http://ctcarry.com

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We have sent an email to them.

Nicely done sir - building bridges, rather than burning them.
icon14.png

Tactical_Evo

Nice job Rich! Please keep us posted on whether they reply or not and what their response is. Also, keep in mind that I took the course about 2 years ago, so maybe they are more knowledgeable on the law now... At least I hope so. Either way, curious to see the outcome. Thanks.

Tactical_Evo

You know what else just ocurred to me after reading some other posts... I don't know if the laws have changed over the last 2-3 years, but we were told if you were carrying a firearm, your BAC couldn't be over .06%, not .10%.

Rich B

You know what else just ocurred to me after reading some other posts... I don't know if the laws have changed over the last 2-3 years, but we were told if you were carrying a firearm, your BAC couldn't be over .06%, not .10%.

That isn't a change, just a misinformed instructor. Although this last legislative session we were the only ones who opposed them lowering it to .08%, so I don't know how long it will stay that way.

http://ctcarry.com/Legislative/Session

Tactical_Evo

Another possible situation that I suppose could come up while OC... What if you are in a department store or chain store and there is nothing in writing that says you can't carry a firearm. What if one of the regular employees or cashiers, or even a manager asks you to leave? Do you have to abide?

Rich B

Another possible situation that I suppose could come up while OC... What if you are in a department store or chain store and there is nothing in writing that says you can't carry a firearm. What if one of the regular employees or cashiers, or even a manager asks you to leave? Do you have to abide?

Yes. Of course. Any property owner that asks you to leave has that right. Failing to do so can result in legal trouble.

Tactical_Evo

Yes. Of course. Any property owner that asks you to leave has that right. Failing to do so can result in legal trouble.

Rich, I understand that. I think you mis-read my question. Can a regular store associate or cashier ask me to leave? I'm sure this will never happen, just thinking of possibilities. Thanks.

Rich B

Rich, I understand that. I think you mis-read my question. Can a regular store associate or cashier ask me to leave? I'm sure this will never happen, just thinking of possibilities. Thanks.

Again, if they exercise control of the property, of course.

Who is going to debate on site whether or not a cashier has the blessing of a manager?

Tactical_Evo

Rich,

Out of curiosity, did the people from Center Sports ever get back to your e-mail?

Tactical_Evo

The following letter was sent certified mail on 06/18/2012.

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Details/3d2b460c-46af-4b48-8af4-1d56ef6c5edb

To this date I have received no response from Center Sports.

Rich - Did you ever get a response?

The reason I dug up this old thread was because I recently purchased my first 1911 from Riverview Gun Sales in East Windsor, CT. While their staff was very friendly and helpful, they ill informed me about carrying my 1911. I purchased a Blackhawk Serpa holster for comfort (because of how large and heavy the 1911 is) and one of the staff members was concerned that my short may not hide the weapon. I then proceeded to say: "It's not illegal to open carry in Connecticut". I was advised that it was by the staff member, and I repeated that it was not. The staff member then said something similar to "well, it's not illegal, but you will get arrested for breach of peace, misconduct, or something similar". Anyhow - just thought I make you aware to see what your thoughts were. I really hope we can continue educating people in this state about the laws of being a permit holder. It is not good that so many gun centers don't even know the laws. Again, I am not bashing the shop, as they were very friendly and helped with the sale, but this information is important as there are a lot of people that won't research their rights.