• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco: Helena. MT

gatvol_USA

View attachment Costco_Notice_from_OCorg.txt

Given what happened in Aurora, Colorado a few weeks ago, I hope others will join with me in bringing this "responsive-to-customers" company to bay. I suspect that the people who complained were immigrants from California, or other places where decades of Party agitprop have made regular folks unfamiliar with guns. A case of ignorance on their part, not malice.

It has been beastly hot, and my wife and I were going on a hike after today's trip to Costco. So I wore my lighter vest over my hip-holstered SIG; this vest can ride up a little--I've worn it in Kalispell area and no one, business or passerby made a fuss; I am sure that it rode up at some point. Note that I have a CCW from State of MT.

We went to Costco, returned some items, and headed off to buy needed items there. We passed checkout, went to Food Court there.

While eating, Assistant Manager Dave approached me and asked if I was law enforcement, I replied: 'No'. He then told me that Costco policy was no guns in Costco, even with CCW. I politely asked him why he had approached me. He replied: "several patrons reported a man, who didn't appear to be law enforcement, carrying a gun". I said that there was no sign [prohibiting carry in Costco], and I asked if someone had reported that i was threatening.

He replied that policy is policy "this is private property". I replied that I thought that I was in America, not California. He replied: "well, what difference does it make what state?" I politely responded: "This is an Open Carry state.". He reiterated that it was policy. He mercifully allowed us to stay and finish our meal.

I have printed out a notice I found on the main Costco forum thread on this site: basically noting that [Costco] assumes all responsibility for my family's personal security on their property, . I will be mailing this, RRR, to the General Manager of the Helena store and demanding that she sign off on said notice.

I am also posting to several gun-rights sites in re this thoughtful company's policy. I tire of real people having to molly coddle the feelings of "Progressives". With some, they really don't know any better, thanks to their Party-planned education. others are arrogantly sure of their moral superiority over mere "fly-over country" untermenschen. Still others work actively to destroy our Constitutional rights in the name of a failed ideology.

I hope that my polite dissent with this policy strikes a small blow for the side of reason and Americanism in these dark times.

Last edited:

MontanaCZ

Given what happened in Aurora, Colorado a few weeks ago, I hope others will join with me in bringing this "responsive-to-customers" company to bay. I suspect that the people who complained were immigrants from California, or other places where decades of Party agitprop have made regular folks unfamiliar with guns. A case of ignorance on their part, not malice.

It has been beastly hot, and my wife and I were going on a hike after today's trip to Costco. So I wore my lighter vest over my hip-holstered SIG; this vest can ride up a little--I've worn it in Kalispell area and no one, business or passerby made a fuss; I am sure that it rode up at some point. Note that I have a CCW from State of MT.

First, you are in Helena, probably one of the top liberal cities in Montana. We also have a lot of out of state people here, and a lot of Canadian visitors as well.

He replied that policy is policy "this is private property". I replied that I thought that I was in America, not California. He replied: "well, what difference does it make what state?" I politely responded: "This is an Open Carry state.". He reiterated that it was policy. He mercifully allowed us to stay and finish our meal.

The manager is correct, it is Private Property, and as such does not have to allow the carry of firearms on the property. When you signed up for Costco, you signed a document stating that you agreed to Costco policies, one of which is that weapons are not allowed on the property, open or concealed. Yes, he was nice to let you continue to finish your meal, and he was also nice in that he could have revoked your membership right there. It has been well documented what Costco policies regarding firearms is. If you do not agree with those policies, then you have a right to not shop there, same as I choose to not buy a pair of Levi's for their anti-gun stance.

-MTCZ

decklin

First, you are in Helena, probably one of the top liberal cities in Montana. We also have a lot of out of state people here, and a lot of Canadian visitors as well.

The manager is correct, it is Private Property, and as such does not have to allow the carry of firearms on the property. When you signed up for Costco, you signed a document stating that you agreed to Costco policies, one of which is that weapons are not allowed on the property, open or concealed. Yes, he was nice to let you continue to finish your meal, and he was also nice in that he could have revoked your membership right there. It has been well documented what Costco policies regarding firearms is. If you do not agree with those policies, then you have a right to not shop there, same as I choose to not buy a pair of Levi's for their anti-gun stance.

-MTCZ

I agree with everything you just said but they don't have their firearms policy in writing. After I found out that Costco does not allow firearms I checked the papers I signed and there was no mention of firearms or even weapons of any kind. The Costco employees were also unable to find a single written policy.
This was a year ago. I have since canceled my Costco membership and went with Sam's Club because their policy is to follow state law.
To the OP, they are not going to change their policy. Many have been trying for years. You'll have to either cc, disarm, or cancel your membership.

N605TW

Activist Member
Join the club, I been kicked out of that Costco too. When I still lived in Helena I did most of my shopping at the Walmart, never had any troubles there.

gatvol_USA

Yes, excellent point. We immigrated from the DPR of California. We were born and raised there. Partly by apathy, and acceptance of the "inevitable" (i.e. must pander to Progressives), Cali' was lost. Now the Progressives seek to subvert Montana also. That Trotkyist Permanent Revolution and all.

No, I am not on a Quixotical quest to turn Helena around. Just answering to my duty, as an American, to renew our country and save it from those who would destroy the West.

I appreciate your comments on my post.:D Please, read some Pat Buchanan and Guillaume Faye to gain some understanding of what I am getting at. Best you you, boet.

-MTCZ

There was no mention of firearms prohibition when I signed up in the 1980s. Nor, and this is my main bone of contention with Costco on this, was there a sign outside the business/at the car park entrance/etc. stating the no-firearms policy. I support private property rights. But [property] business owners are not allowed to "ambush" patrons with effectively ex post facto regulations. Indeed, my first thought was that the manager was soliciting a bribe as I had never heard of said policy.

So Costco gets to run their business as anti-evil-demon-guns and get trade from real Americans who believe in the Second Amendment/anyone who supports the basic right to self defense. Disingenuous at best, crudely mercenary at worst.

In re how well documented Costco's policy is: I had to dig for about 15 minutes today to uncover it from their main website. Not exactly good business courtesy, nor IAW principles of fairness. I have since read about the LV PD murder of a CCW holder at a Nevada Costco a few years ago.

I checked with the L&C County Sheriff's Dept. today: I was told that it was not an infraction, but the manager could ask me to leave--which I did in an expeditious, and courteous manner.

They have a right to ban demonic guns in their business. We all have a right not to buy from such a business--at least for now.

Progressive business owners must be made to pay a price for their support of policies drawn from the most oppressive regimes the world has ever know. We must take our business elsewhere.

gatvol_USA

I agree with everything you just said but they don't have their firearms policy in writing. After I found out that Costco does not allow firearms I checked the papers I signed and there was no mention of firearms or even weapons of any kind. The Costco employees were also unable to find a single written policy.
This was a year ago. I have since canceled my Costco membership and went with Sam's Club because their policy is to follow state law.
To the OP, they are not going to change their policy. Many have been trying for years. You'll have to either cc, disarm, or cancel your membership.

Boet, I'm mailing the letter as I said. Then probably demanding a refund of my "membership after the General Store Manager refuses to respond on time, finally, reporting this to NRA_ILA and NRA RTBAV.

I'm disabled, so if there was a crime incident at Costco, say by a type like the one who tried to shoot up FRC today, I can't run and take cover very well --I would probably die in the open. Were this to happen, my dying curse will be for Costco's executives to the third generation.

Progressives are, unfortunately, similar to roaches: ignore them, let them "have their way', and next thing you know, your town/country is infested with vermin who oppose all that has made America great.

Sure, the ascended beings of Light Progressives at Costco, etc won't change their policy because of me; but if we got a good boycott going, then, at least the "OWS" types in Helena/elsewhere would come in support of Costco--no doubt with drugs, sex, littering, and crime.

Try this book for ways to combat Alinky's minions. It is the Conservative version of Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.

DWCook

Activist Member
This is why I do not shop at COSCO anymore due to them being "anti". I usually hit up Wal-Mart for most of my food shopping, and other supplies. I haven't had an issue with them for a while. I also do not watch movies anymore at AMC Theaters as they are owned by China now. lol I seem a bit anti-foreign in a way, but Im not.

Longshot117

This is why I love Sams club. When a customer went up to the manager while my roommate and girlfriend were shopping saying that we had guns he just looked at them and said. "So? Welcome to America." He came up and told us this after it happened because he found it funny.