• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ypsilanti Township posted another sign

kubel

Last year I mentioned that Ypsilanti Township posted a "firearms prohibited" sign at Hewen's Creek Park. I emailed the head of their parks/recreation department, but got no response. Yesterday I went to North Hydro Park, and I found the same exact sign posted there too:

northhydro.jpg

I went to their web site and sent another message, likely to be ignored again...

Last edited:

kubel

Here's the other sign:

ypsicarry.jpg

says "hunting and firearms" not "hunting or firearms" ..

But by that logic, does that mean I can either camp or make ground fires, as long as I don't do both? Or how about "no swimming OR wading", but what if I swim AND wade. :p

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Here's the other sign:

ypsicarry.jpg

But by that logic, does that mean I can either camp or make ground fires, as long as I don't do both? Or how about "no swimming OR wading", but what if I swim AND wade. :p

I guess so .. the word "and" means both, not either. Otherwise the phrase "he's short and tall" makes sense, yes?

Happy camping (or fire making if you are inclined)

Plus they are using the "&" incorrectly ... and english nightmare ... just tear the signs down

Last edited:

Michigander

You planning it?

I work 65 hours a week and am balls deep in trying to rebuild my daily driver's transmission in my little spare time. Also, the last event I tried to plan, at the height of the anti gun media storm no less, had less than 6 people who wanted to come out, and this caused me to greatly lose faith in the people of this forum and their desire to do much of anything meaningful for gun rights beyond carrying, if even that (apart from the sparse and scattered regulars) and if there is a repeat of the last potential turn out, I can't see a reason why the few hardliners here in this region would give enough of a crap to drive from a long ways just to have a picnic just to spite the sign when no one else gives a damn.

So with that being my outlook and my time being so sparse, I'm not going to put too much effort into it, and definitely won't be trying to arrange a bit elaborate event. If you or someone else would like to plan an event, I will do my very best to be there. I am merely throwing the idea out there in the hopes that someone else will run with it and others will follow.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

I work 65 hours a week and am balls deep in trying to rebuild my daily driver's transmission in my little spare time. Also, the last event I tried to plan, at the height of the anti gun media storm no less, had less than 6 people who wanted to come out, and this caused me to greatly lose faith in the people of this forum and their desire to do much of anything meaningful for gun rights beyond carrying, if even that (apart from the sparse and scattered regulars) and if there is a repeat of the last potential turn out, I can't see a reason why the few hardliners here in this region would give enough of a crap to drive from a long ways just to have a picnic just to spite the sign when no one else gives a damn.

So with that being my outlook and my time being so sparse, I'm not going to put too much effort into it, and definitely won't be trying to arrange a bit elaborate event. If you or someone else would like to plan an event, I will do my very best to be there. I am merely throwing the idea out there in the hopes that someone else will run with it and others will follow.

He (Q) always answers that way. Why? So he can chime in with all that he does....
Not to take away from what he does - good on him - but his people skills are shall we say a bit lacking in my opinion. I suggest you contact John Roshek. He plans it - I will fund with $250 - that should make for a nice spread.:D Show up eat , drink & be merry. What's not to love.
info@citizensleaguesd.com

Last edited:

TheQ

He (Q) always answers that way. Why? So he can chime in with all that he does....

No. Not really. I was merely asking if he was planning to do it. If so, I'd plan to attend it.

It's that simple really...

PS. I hope John does set it up, I'll see you guys there.

Has anyone heard from John lately? Is all well with him?

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

I have also noted this....people will say "I'll do anything!" and then get suggestions to do a very minimal amount (even something that his no narrow timeline or effort), and they're gone. At least people will still show up at the legislative hearings so that's a plus. And most people think that that is all that is effective or is the most that they are willing to do.

Go figure, most people are lazy. Its like a gov't official who I filed a complaint with saying "You're the only person who complained about this violation of the law" to which I say "So? Its a violation ain't it? I'm not going away."

Raggs

Not to take away from what he does - good on him - but his people skills are shall we say a bit lacking in my opinion. I suggest you contact John Roshek. He plans it - I will fund with $250 - that should make for a nice spread.:D Show up eat , drink & be merry. What's not to love.
info@citizensleaguesd.com

I would be interested in going and carpooling from Grand Rapids area, Time and interest permitting.

MI_XD

I didn't find any references in the code that would prohibit carrying in the parks, but this one I am not sure if it would be something pre-empted by the state.. from Municode:

Sec. 42-223. - Possession or control of firearm while intoxicated or under influence of drugs.

It shall be unlawful for any person within the township while under the influence of an alcoholic liquor or any controlled substance to carry, have in possession or control or use in any manner or discharge any firearm.
(Code 1975, § 13½-154)
State law reference— Similar provisions, MCL 750.237, MSA 28.434.

But their DISCHARGE ordinance looks like it is in good shape.

Sec. 42-225. - Discharge of firearm.
(a)Discharge of firearm. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm within 150 yards of an occupied building, dwelling, house, residence or cabin, or any barn or other building used in connection with a farm operation.

(b)Exception. The following are exceptions to subsection (a):

(1)Law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties.

(2)A person acting in lawful self defense or lawful defense of others.

MI_XD

Second Reality

Ypsilanti is a bit of a drive for me, but if this event does happen I would love to attend. I've been up to Ypsilanti before, and im always up for some good outdoors.

Hevymetal

Contacts:

Director of Park and Public saftey
Mike Radzik
734-544-3730

General Counsel
Doug Winters
734-481-1120

Called both this morning and informed them of the illegality of their no firearms sign. Was told they are looking into it............. Maybe more people should call to stoke the fire a little bit. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and I think we should make the wheel as squeaky as we can :)

1-2 phone calls them may tend to ignore but if we can get 25+ calls into them they will hopefully address the issue in a more timely manner. If for no other reason to stop getting all the calls.

PS if we are having a picnic, count me in :)

jt59

Here's the other sign:

ypsicarry.jpg

Here, I believe is what their code actually says, and is what is specifically needs to be addressed...I have no skin in this fight except that I am coming to MI in a few weeks and always bring my side arm with me and may well be out and about in local community and city parks...we have these same issues with parks in WA. In spite of our state pre-emption law, it still take time and persistence to get them changed...

Sec. 46-61. - Possession and use of firearms; dangerous weapons; fireworks.

It shall be unlawful for any person to:

(1)

Possess within park property, fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged across, in or into any portion of the park, any gun or firearm, spear, bow and arrow, crossbow, sling shot, air or gas weapon, or any other dangerous weapon or projectile, except for purposes designated by the board in areas and at times designated by the board;

(2)

Possess, set off or attempt to set off or ignite any firecracker, fireworks, smoke bombs, rockets, black powder guns or other pyrotechnics without authorization from the director; or

(3)

Possess or carry in any park, any air gun, paint gun, bow and arrow, or any illegal weapon.

Any unauthorized or illegal weapon within a park shall be subject to seizure by a law enforcement officer

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11741

It doesn't seem to actually say that possession is a crime of any sort, and they are leaving themselves an out with the last sentence..."subject to seizure" if it is unauthorized or illegal...by a LEO. They would lose, but it would be a serious inconvenience....the cop who gets the call is the guy you have to convince.

Last edited: