• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Theater pulls publicity stunt, send fake active shooter to iron man premier.

EMNofSeattle

Take a look at this :eek:

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -
Management at the Goodrich Capital 8 Theaters is defending what it calls a publicity stunt at the movie theaters this past weekend.

During the opening weekend of the latest 'Iron Man' movie, a man walked into the theater in full tactical gear and carrying a fake gun...................................

"We received a series of 911 calls stating that a man dressed in all black and body armor and a rifle was walking into Capital 8 Theaters," said Capt. Doug Shoemaker.

Officers thought they were responding to an active shooter investigation..........................

Wait, It gets better!

When asked if management took into consideration what happened in the the mass shooting at a Colorado movie theater, Wilkins responded, "Absolutely. That's my number-one priority every day. It's the safety and security of our guests."

What about your employees?!?! :banghead:

I may not be old enough yet to carry a gun (only have to survive 5 more months)

but I carry a pretty nice blade and only sit in the front row at the theatres. if somebody who looks remotely threatening or holding a gun through those doors I'm sprinting strait their direction because i can't escape and can either die in my chair or die trying to resist....

But for all the people who can and do carry, do you believe you would've immediately shot them as they entered the showing room?

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Well - in a way this place just proved that gun free zones are "nut job free for all" zones once again. It is hard to say what anyone who can carry a firearm in a movie house (legally) would do. But I do not think they could be faulted for shooting the actor had they truly believed their life was on the line. Nor do I think a jury would convict them.

FreeInAZ

PS - Hey EM, if you moved to AZ today you could OPEN CARRY under our constitutional carry law. :D
Got to love WA, they can send their 18-20 year olds off to the war(s) fully armed, but once at home they can not protect themselves until they are 21 with a pistol? Nice -:confused:

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

PS - Hey EM, most states allow those 18 years of age or older to OPEN CARRY. Is your state different?

Generally yes.... there is limited exemptions.. like I can carry a firearm (openly or concealed) while hiking or engaged in lawful outdoor activities (this applies to like hunting, fishing, etc but not just going for a stroll around town.) and the like. but it's 21 then I can open carry with no license.

when I am hiking I generally carry either my S&W model 10 openly, or my mother's Glock 19 concealed... depending upon the hiking location, what clothes I wear etc. but that's about it for now.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Sorry for derailing thread. Your state laws are very strange me.

Well I would like people to discuss the topic of the thread, but I'll explain the law briefly.

There is RCW 9.41.050 which is restrictions on carrying firearms, followed by 9.41.060 which is "exemptions to restrictions on carrying firearms" or something like that. .050 only restricts concealed carry. not open. so the .060 is actually a list of exceptions to needing a CPL to carry concealed. the ".060 exceptions" as they're called include stuff like police officers, federal employees authorized to carry a pistol, armed forces while on duty, then there's an exception for

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

there's a few others, like gun smiths and gun dealers apparently don't need one if carrying a "pistol in the ordinary or usual course of business"

but a separate statute is 9.41.240 which says someone at least 18 but not 21 can carry a pistol in their home, place of business, or private property under their control. but 9.41.240 does say that a 18-20 year old can carry a gun while meeting the requirements on 9.41.060. so because I'm exempted from firearm restrictions while hiking, it means I can carry a pistol while doing that.

that's the web of laws that effect me..... I really wish we would just do what every state surrounding us does and allow 18 open carry! but like I said, 5 more months and I'm golden. I have OC'd while visiting more permissive states (which actually Washington is reasonably permissive once you are 21)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP but I carry a pretty nice blade and only sit in the front row at the theatres. if somebody who looks remotely threatening or holding a gun through those doors I'm sprinting strait their direction because i can't escape and can either die in my chair or die trying to resist....

But for all the people who can and do carry, do you believe you would've immediately shot them as they entered the showing room?

Well, there you have it readers. If the movie theater refuses to refund your money for that stale popcorn, better not re-enter the auditorium with a scowl on your face or EMNRambo will plant his "pretty nice blade" in your chest. Even if you're CCing.

I think we've already told him about six times to learn the freakin' law on self-defense.

I wonder why he didn't take a clue from the police: "[Police Capt. Shoemaker] added it's a good thing an off-duty officer wasn't at the theater because it's likely the officer would have engaged the actor. Had the actor not complied, the situation could have turned out much worse." A cop wouldn't start shooting until there was a lack of compliance (which is bad enough in itself. I guess not all police learned their lesson from the dead native American woodcarver a few years ago).

And, too bad EMN can't write clearly. He asks if we "would've immediately shot them as they entered the showing room?" Would have? As they entered? Meaning, the actor did enter the auditorium. But, nowhere in the video clip or the text of the story does it say the actor entered the auditorium. So, how does one reply to a question that posits something occurred when it didn't? And, "them"? Who's "them"? There was one actor.

Does he really think enough of us are so dumb--or ignorant of the law on self-defense--as to start shooting someone without all the elements of AOJ/I present such that its worth asking that question? Or, is he just projecting?

And, what's up with that "really nice blade" lingo? Oooo. I wonder if he's trying to impress himself by carrying it, or us by telling us about it--in a post in which the niceness of the weapon is irrelevant.

I guess we need to tell him again. "Learn the law on self-defense!" And, start applying it. As in, when you read something like the news story, start looking for the elements that only when all present and combined justify lethal force.

In the meantime, somebody in Washington might wanta check whether there is a constitutional prohibition on the legislature making a law that applies only one person or a group. If not, it might be a good idea to raise the age limit for EMN to carry a gun.

Side Note: And, what's with the repeated references in the story to an active shooter? There was absolutely beyond any shadow of a doubt no shooting, active or otherwise. Oooo. Lets just use the term to really impress everybody. So at what point did the actor turn into an active shooter? With fake guns?

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Maybe he (actor) was considered a active actor acting like a shooter..:rolleyes: ? This whole story is beyond strange. ???

Oramac

That is crazy! I went to high school in Jeff City, Mo. I've BEEN to that theater a thousand times! Those have to be the absolute dumbest owners I've ever heard of!

As for whether I'd have drawn, it's impossible to say. I wasn't there, and I wouldn't want to assess the situation from behind a computer screen.

MKEgal

idiot theater stunt - by the theater!

Utter imbiciles!

"During the opening weekend of the latest 'Iron Man' movie, a man walked into the theater in full tactical gear and carrying a fake gun...
it was all part of a publicity stunt for the movie opening. The man in tactical gear was an actor carrying a fake gun...
Capital 8 Theaters manager Bob Wilkins told ABC 17 News this was planned months in advance and only a few people were upset, but hundreds were entertained..."

http://www.abc17news.com/news/movie...on/-/18421100/20089958/-/66o97fz/-/index.html

HighValueWarrior

This is what happens to peoples minds on too much fluoride ......... thank god someone wasn't killed.
Hope they can find some criminal charges for these idiots.

EMNofSeattle

Well, there you have it readers. If the movie theater refuses to refund your money for that stale popcorn, better not re-enter the auditorium with a scowl on your face or EMNRambo will plant his "pretty nice blade" in your chest. Even if you're CCing.

I think we've already told him about six times to learn the freakin' law on self-defense.

I wonder why he didn't take a clue from the police: "[Police Capt. Shoemaker] added it's a good thing an off-duty officer wasn't at the theater because it's likely the officer would have engaged the actor. Had the actor not complied, the situation could have turned out much worse." A cop wouldn't start shooting until there was a lack of compliance (which is bad enough in itself. I guess not all police learned their lesson from the dead native American woodcarver a few years ago).

And, too bad EMN can't write clearly. He asks if we "would've immediately shot them as they entered the showing room?" Would have? As they entered? Meaning, the actor did enter the auditorium. But, nowhere in the video clip or the text of the story does it say the actor entered the auditorium. So, how does one reply to a question that posits something occurred when it didn't? And, "them"? Who's "them"? There was one actor.

Does he really think enough of us are so dumb--or ignorant of the law on self-defense--as to start shooting someone without all the elements of AOJ/I present such that its worth asking that question? Or, is he just projecting?

And, what's up with that "really nice blade" lingo? Oooo. I wonder if he's trying to impress himself by carrying it, or us by telling us about it--in a post in which the niceness of the weapon is irrelevant.

I guess we need to tell him again. "Learn the law on self-defense!" And, start applying it. As in, when you read something like the news story, start looking for the elements that only when all present and combined justify lethal force.

In the meantime, somebody in Washington might wanta check whether there is a constitutional prohibition on the legislature making a law that applies only one person or a group. If not, it might be a good idea to raise the age limit for EMN to carry a gun.

Side Note: And, what's with the repeated references in the story to an active shooter? There was absolutely beyond any shadow of a doubt no shooting, active or otherwise. Oooo. Lets just use the term to really impress everybody. So at what point did the actor turn into an active shooter? With fake guns?

In the hypothetical event such actor entered the theater carrying a rifle in hand A/O/J would all be present. Forest through the trees citizen, I won't even address the rest of the gibberish you wrote

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Had he walked into the theater with what "appeared" to be a real gun, and what "any" other person would have reasonably believed to be a real gun and pointed it at me or another patron, then yes he would have been shot.

Walking into a theater with a rifle (real or fake) and pointing it at patrons is a life-threatening gesture, and I would deal with it immediately. You certainly do NOT want a man with a rifle to get the jump on you while carrying a handgun.

Now, had he walked into the theater with a rifle slung and not pointing it at people or acting in a threatening manner I wouldn't have done anything other than watch him from a distance. I might have walked up to him and asked him a "friendly" question just to see how his demeanor was. Maybe "What kind of rifle are you carrying?" or perhaps "That sure is a nice firearm you have there." Being a peace officer it is MY responsibility to make sure my fellow citizens are safe, but I would NOT call dispatch and request a patrolman, because if he was doing nothing other than openly carrying a long-gun then he is well within his rights to do so here in Kentucky.

EMNofSeattle

It would pay to listen to that gibberish it may just keep you out of jail.

I know what he wrote, he ignored the context of the statement being trapped in a seeming copycat of a mass shooting with extremely similar details.

in that context nothing illegal was advocated.

maybe some wording choice was poor... But i'm well aware it's illegal to employ a deadly weapon against someone who is not posing a deadly threat to myself or others.

Last edited: