• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

Morpheus97

Thanks for starting this thread xdmcompact, it's a great idea.

This past Sunday I ended up OCing while mowing and doing yard work because a neighbor's large dog has become very aggressive and was lunging at me over a 3ft chain link fence. His upper body was coming over the fence but his whole body never came completely over. Since he could easily take me down if he did jump the fence I decided to be ready to defend myself just in case. Guess I'll have to have a privacy fence put up for a permanent solution, but in the meantime I'll be OCing while doing yard work.

Right now I'm OCing around the house just because I can.

peterarthur

Went out to eat at McDonald's last night with the fam and then we all went to a movie. A few odd looks by some folks, but nothing really out of the ordinary. Thought that the movie ticket taker was going to ask me about it, but then seemed to think better of it and just directed us to the theater.

Most of the movie theaters I have been to have signs (and I OC'd anyway since they missed some of the doors... that I walked through :) ). Where did you go?

BTW, AMC Strang Line in Olathe has signs but only on some doors. I accidentally did it the first time and got ALOT of funny looks inside, which made me check ALL the doors when I left :)

xdmcompact

Tonight the all important first police incounter. I did not have my phone ready so no audio or video I took my usual walk thru Bella Villa and an officer had someone pulled over, as I walked by he seen my firearm and yelled hey you. Was not sure he was directing it at me so I kept walking, he then says are you a security guard. I turn and walk back towards him, he asks if I am a cop, I say no and he asks what I am doing. I said I am taking a walk, then asks what I am doing with that thing referring to my firearm, then says that has to be concealed. I inform him that open carry is legal with a CCW permit in Bella Villa, he says no its not that he has never even heard of someone open carrying and that it is illegal.

I inform him of his own ordinance that on line six it states that open carry is illegal, but then explain that on line D that it is indeed legal with a CCW permit. He then states that open carry is not allowed in Missouri. I inform him that it is indeed legal and that even in some municipalities that no permit is required to open carry. He then says you know how stupid that looks and that I should cover it up, I respond thanks for your opinion but it is legal. He then says its not legal in Illinois and I inform him that it is legal but has to be in a locked case and the gun and ammo have to be seperated. He then asks me if I think its cool I said no its my right, he says I would rather you cover it up because what if someone doesn't ask you for it they just hit you over the head and take it. I respond that I understand his fears but those are his not mine, says that he is going to look into it and he says that he hopes I am not lying because if I am he better not see me open carrying again. He says that it sounds like I know more about the law than he does and to have a good night.

Morpheus97

He then says its not legal in Illinois...

I didn't realize Illinois laws are being enforced in Missouri. :shocker:

BTW, sounds like you did a good job handling the encounter. Hopefully the LEO will verify the law so that next time your paths cross he will know you are not breaking any laws.

Last edited:

Tony4310

Hey Morph. We should hit up the Hazelwood starbucks some time ( they are used to OC ). I live in Florissant as well.

HYRYSC

Most of the movie theaters I have been to have signs (and I OC'd anyway since they missed some of the doors... that I walked through :) ). Where did you go?

BTW, AMC Strang Line in Olathe has signs but only on some doors. I accidentally did it the first time and got ALOT of funny looks inside, which made me check ALL the doors when I left :)

I live in the Springfield area, I don't know if I have been to a theater that has any signs here in Springfield, but I don't go to the movies much.

HYRYSC

He then says you know how stupid that looks and that I should cover it up

I would have had to step back and take a look at him and then look at his firearm and then say, "yeah, you know, it does look stupid, thanks!" then untuck my shirt over my firearm and then keep walking.

Tony4310

That officer simply voiced his opinion, not law. Why cover it up if you are with in the law? If it's legal and they arrest you anyways. It's a pretty open and shut law suit.

I know several officers that have NO issues with OC at all. They actually support it. Lets not forget that the police ( not all of them ) assume we are all poorly trained and don't have the mental capacity to open carry :banghead:. It's a typical elitist attitude that some cops have. It's pretty much a " I'M SMART AND YOU ARE DUMB JOE CITIZEN NOW DO AS I SAY, SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH AND KEEP WALKING " thing.

I just can not for the life of my understand why cops are so afraid of law abiding citizens carrying ( OC and CC ). Why are they more afraid of lawful citizens carrying than scum bag criminals carrying? Criminals do not use holster, we law abiding citizens do. Criminals do not maintain their firearms, law abiding citizens do. Criminals do not open carry, law abiding citizens do. Criminals do not obey the law, law abiding citizens do! Yet, they treat us as the criminals and threats. Most people are more likely to freak out over seeing a concealed fire arm that becomes uncovered as opposed to being fearful over an open carry firearm. I for one have never had anyone freak out or run away and call the police. I've had great reactions from most people, or they simply do not care. Yet, the police will tell you other wise with no way to back up their claims ( one or 2 calls isn't proof ). I guess upholding ones opinion is far more important that upholding the oath you took. I took the same oath when I enlisted and still uphold it today even though I am no longer in.

xdmcompact

That officer simply voiced his opinion, not law. Why cover it up if you are with in the law? If it's legal and they arrest you anyways. It's a pretty open and shut law suit.

I know several officers that have NO issues with OC at all. They actually support it. Lets not forget that the police ( not all of them ) assume we are all poorly trained and don't have the mental capacity to open carry :banghead:. It's a typical elitist attitude that some cops have. It's pretty much a " I'M SMART AND YOU ARE DUMB JOE CITIZEN NOW DO AS I SAY, SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH AND KEEP WALKING " thing.

I just can not for the life of me understand why cops are so afraid of law abiding citizens carrying ( OC and CC ). Why are they more afraid of lawful citizens carrying than scum bag criminals carrying? Criminals do not use a holster, we law abiding citizens do. Criminals do not maintain their firearms, law abiding citizens do. Criminals do not open carry, law abiding citizens do. Criminals do not obey the law, law abiding citizens do! Yet, they treat us as the criminals and threats. Most people are more likely to freak out over seeing a concealed fire arm that becomes uncovered as opposed to being fearful over an open carry firearm. I for one have never had anyone freak out or run away and call the police. I've had great reactions from most people, or they simply do not care. Yet, the police will tell you other wise with no way to back up their claims ( one or 2 calls isn't proof ). I guess upholding ones opinion is far more important that upholding the oath you took. I took the same oath when I enlisted and still uphold it today even though I am no longer in.

Like I say police officers" Police by opinion and fear" not by fact and law. Why is it that officers can lie to us and its OKbut we lie to an officer and we get arrested and are considered criminals. Funny how that works.

Jim40Cal

First time Open Carry

Wife Open Carried today for her first time. Went to the Dollar store, followed by
QT for milk and gas. Went to the grocery store and stopped for our friday Beef & Shrimp fried rice dinner.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Armygear.net Store

Went to Armygear.net store in Wentzville, the one who has the sign supporting open and concealed carry with a sign in the window. Got a 50 cal can in perfect shape for 1o bucks including tax. Got a photo of a truck in the lot sporting the round open carry decal Doc made and inquired. Supporter but never been here before. Gave em the link and the link to the news letter. Went to CATO a ladies clothing store so the dear maiden could stock up on be pretty stuffs.

Lake St Louis Walmart for about an hour> have I ever mentioned how much I hate Walmart? Wandered by the grandfather type and gave him a nod as I headed back into paint to grab some hammer finish krylon, I like it on the ammo cans and it is real durable. Nothing really interesting happened other than as I was heading over to coffee pots some body builder man of color made a comment to his lady friend "See I told you there are people doing it, it just takes brass balls" While I am not 100% sure he was speaking about open carry he did take significant notice of it and reached for her arm as I walked by and he said it so I assume that is what he meant. i do not particularly agree with him but to each his own and if I were a man of color I might indeed have a significantly different thought as the responses might be different. One can not forget the entire gun law of 1968 is because Reagan was scared of black people with guns.

The cashier at the check out across from us took significant notice as did the kid from red robin buying himself a pack of cigars (in uniform) but neither made comments I overheard. Heading to dierbergs next, but had to take a load off the feet first. I suspect nothing at all wil happen there, it never does and I carry there all the time.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
walked up to the gas station 4 blocks down, had Jos my 8 month old in a carrier on my back and my sig on my side. was using the ATM there and a older lady walked up to me and started talking to me about OC, she had saw me walking before and saw me OC and was like "right on", she is a CCW, and seemed to support OC more, now that is rare LOL

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Dierbergs got a little weird.

I was standing at the deli waiting for some cheese and ham and one lady perhaps 45 who was working back there said "do you always carry your water pistol with you?" trying to stay within the realm of humor I smiled and said " I am fairly sure you do not want to be squirted with this kind" and she said "I did not know people could carry guns in Missouri" that just left me kind of speechless. The lady that was helping me told her that it had been that way a long time.

I mention this because I have been carrying open for about 6 months or longer, I go to this Dierbergs weekly and hit that deli counter at least every other week. The lady whom spoke has indeed waited on me several times and this is the first time she even noticed.

mspgunner

OC's in Wal-Mart in Lake St.Louis this morning as well as ArmyGear.net store in Wentzville. Great sign on the ArmyGear.net store, sure let's you know OCers are welcome!
He alos has a opencarry, Missouri sticker on the back window of his vehicle.